QOS

If somone tells you they have a COS of 4 for their traffic.  As well as another COS of 3 for another set of traffic.

Is this person loosely referring to AF and or CS markings?  Or are they referring to something different?

Comments

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

It could be a variety of things: indifference to specifics, L2 trunk COS markings, or a generic term (poorly worded) to say "I've declared this class of traffic to have a service marking of 4, hopefully, if my network is working as hoped."

• But is he referring to af or cs?!!So you do agree this is poor jargon. 

La Donna Duhart

On May 17, 2016, at 5:46 PM, peety <[email protected]> wrote:

It could be a variety of things: indifference to specifics, L2 trunk COS markings, or a generic term (poorly worded) to say "I've declared this class of traffic to have a service marking of 4, hopefully, if my network is working as hoped."

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • peetypeety ✭✭✭

But is he referring to af or cs?!!So you do agree this is poor jargon. 

Don't know and don't care. This is the kind of thing that "we engineers" should throw back over the fence for proper definition of requirements, etc. If my PM (or similar) tried to pull the "I'm not technical, you are!" card on me, I'd respond and say I'm expecting something like one of the following:

We've marked our traffic with DSCP AF41/42/43 for premium business traffic and DSCP AF31/32/33 for regular business traffic. We'd expect AF4x traffic to be able to achieve 50% of line rate under congestion and AF3x to achieve 30% of line rate under congestion, bursting to the whole pipe in the absence of congestion.

We've marked our traffic with IPP4 for premium business traffic and IPP3 for regular business
    traffic. We'd expect IPP4 traffic to be able to achieve 55% of line rate
    under congestion and IPP3 to achieve 25% of line rate under congestion,
    bursting to the whole pipe in the absence of congestion.

We're planning to use IP precedence values 0-5 for our stuff. Precedence 5 traffic should achieve priority handling to 25% of line rate, 4 traffic should get 50% if available, 3 traffic should get 20% if available, and everything else is best effort.

Servers in 10.10.10.0/24 should get premium handling to 40% of line rate, and servers in 10.20.30.0/24 should at least get 30% of line rate (ideally). Can you help us plan this out and execute? [Note: this is a red flag that further customer consultation is necessary.]