EIGRP Configuration Guide - Floating Summary Routes
I was having a read through the EIGRP Configuration Guide on the Cisco website and got a bit confused on the section relating to Floating Summary Routes. Can't decide if they've got a typo or if I'm missing a trick.
For reference its: IP Routing: EIGRP Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15M&T
Section for Floating Summary Routes gives an example of a default summary route to be configured as follows:
using AS format --
1. Router-B(config)# interface Serial 0/1
2. Router-B(config-if)# ip summary-address eigrp 100 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
using Name format --
1. Router-B(config)# router eigrp virtual-name1
2. Router-B(config-router)# address-family ipv4 unicast vrf vrf1 autonomous-system 1
3. Router-B(config-router-af)# interface serial 0/1
4. Router-B(config-router-af-interface)# summary-address 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 95
Here I'm starting to get confused - should Name format line 4 be 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ? and with the metric left at default?
The resons I think this:
- Fig 1. The output for Router-C is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 with a AD of 90
- The text in the para after fig 1 states: "The configuration of the default summary route on Router-B sends a 0.0.0.0/0 summary route to Router-C"
- The comparible eigrp AS config uses 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 with default AD and resolves the problem only by changing the metric to 250
I checked several versions of the document including back to IOS v12 and they all have the same. I'm inclined to think its more likely to be me that misunderstands.
Appreciate any comments to help me on my way (: