Foundation Lab 1 now available

Foundation Lab 1 is now posted on the members site. You should see it at the bottom of the Workbook Table of Contents. Questions & comments welcome. 

Brian McGahan, 4 x CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/SC/DC), CCDE #2013::13
[email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.
http://www.INE.com

Comments

• Are you not weighing the difficulty of the labs anymore?

As a side not it is annoying to have to scroll all the way down to get to the lab. Same thing for topics further down in the advanced technology section. Anyway to colapse those menues or simplify navigation?

Just a grip and low on the priority list :)

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

+1 for Table-of-Content collapse (if possible) in the new workbook formats.   

I am often sent right back to the very beginning of the ToC -- and then have to scroll back down to my place.   

This is the only disadvantage I have seen with the new format.

• It’s on the development list.  Difficulty will still be weighted but I’m going to come back and add that later.

[email protected]

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of that1guy15
    Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 12:36 PM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: Re: [RSv5 WB FL] Foundation Lab 1 now available

Are you not weighing the difficulty of the labs anymore?

As a side not it is annoying to have to scroll all the way down to get to the lab. Same thing for topics further down in the advanced technology section. Anyway to colapse those menues or simplify navigation?

Just a grip and low on the priority list :)

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• This fix will be added after the weekend, so probably Tuesday or Wednesday.  I’ll post an update once my webdev sends the new commits.

The quick fix for this is to “Bookmark” a lab as you start it.  That way if you close the page and open it back up it’ll automatically resume at that bookmark spot.  You don’t need to use the TOC every single time because each task has a “task next” and “task previous” navigation at the top.

Also for future feature requests like this please submit them via the “Feedback” button on the workbook page, so we can track it through the ticketing system.  We’re more than happy to accommodate feature requests, as you guys are the ones actually using the system we do want your feedback on what’s good and what can be better.

Thanks,

[email protected]

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of JoeM
    Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 12:47 PM

+1 for Table-of-Content collapse (if possible) in the new workbook formats.   

I am often sent right back to the very beginning of the ToC -- and then have to scroll back down to my place.   

This is the only disadvantage I have seen with the new format.

• No worries on either but they are greatly appreciated!

I would much rather you and the INE team focus on gettting labs out than smaller stuff like this :)

Hopefully will hit this lab tomorrow morning which I should get through it completly. If not then I start it sunday. Either way Ill post up some feedback.

• Excellent, pleased to see the new labs appearing - just in time for me as my lab is in October.

Keep up the good work!

• Brian,

Thanks to working hard at these workbooks. It encourages us, to also work hard on doing these labs, gaian and again, till we pass the CCIE RS lab.

Good luck to all the INE members.

• Section 1.1 ask for Porchannel 102, 103, 104 to be created but the 3560s only support 48 PCs and you can only name up to 48. Also the verification uses the PCs 12, 13, and 14.

Rest of section 1 looks good.

• GioPierbGioPierb

Also the lab requires a much larger number of vlans that were not included ,possibly on purpose.

On the config provided the connection between R10 and SWA has a 124 address not 123 as per diagram.

Little things.

• Also the lab requires a much larger number of vlans that were not included ,possibly on purpose.

On the config provided the connection between R10 and SWA has a 124 address not 123 as per diagram.

Little things.

Got burnt by this in the first few v4 Vol2 labs. Now before starting any lab I draw the topology and VLANs in use and where. I then run through and add all VLANs to the proper switches for both local and transite vlans. 

Cisco keeps repeating in their CCIEv5 talks that there will be both explicit and implicit task that need to be completed. So just get used to having to do stuff that is not specifically asked but is needed to get the technology working.

• Alright finished. Good lab. On the easy side but I assume these foundation labs work you into more complex scenarios?

Only section that through me was the DMVPN config (of Course). Everything else was pretty straigh forward.

Im also guessing the you guys will circle back and add explinations to these?

Thanks and keep em coming!!

• GioPierbGioPierb

Not to state the obvious but BGP IPV4 and IPV6 full reachability was not possible without some extra commands.I know

it was not a requirement.Before doing the DMVPN section i have done the vol 1 part and that was useful.

I liked the large number of repetitive config to improve my speed and the use of add family with bgp that I was not

comfortable with before.

The new vol 1 topology very easy to replicate with gns3 and the detailed configuration for the different parts made easy

to practice and reduced the get ready time quite a lot.

Yes the layer 2 was very basic possibly too basic but new candidates need to build their confidence not to be scared by very difficult 

stuff at the beginning. 

• I know there’s not full reachability at the end, there’s still sections I’m adding to it.

[email protected]

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of GioPierb
    Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:33 AM

Not to state the obvious but BGP IPV4 and IPV6 full reachability was not possible without some extra commands.I know

it was not a requirement.Before doing the DMVPN section i have done the vol 1 part and that was useful.

I liked the large number of repetitive config to improve my speed and the use of add family with bgp that I was not

comfortable with before.

The new vol 1 topology very easy to replicate with gns3 and the detailed configuration for the different parts made easy

to practice and reduced the get ready time quite a lot.

Yes the layer 2 was very basic possibly too basic but new candidates need to build their confidence not to be scared by very difficult 

stuff at the beginning. 

• Hi,

When will availble full-list CCIE R&S v5 Foundation Labs?

In this moment there is only available Lab 1

• I just finished this lab. It was REALLY easy. CCNP level.

Some VLANs were missed in the task and initial configs (VLAN12 for example). Without this, we can not build the iBGP neighborship between R1 and R2 (not explicitly required in the task, but we need to configure that). Is this by design or just a mistake?

• Hi,

I just went through this lab and it was pretty straightforward, BUT at DMVPN I'm getting flap on R1 -> R5:

Midchain parent maintenance for IP midchain out of Tunnel0, addr 10.1.0.5 - looped chain attempting to stack

I double checked my configs and compared it to solution, but I couldn't find what was wrong.

Seems like recursive loop, but I can't see why it's happening :(

Any thoughts?

• Maybe you need to shutdown the tunnel interface temporarily for convergence. If you checked the config the routing should be OK.

• Yes, I've tried that couple of times and built config from scratch just to be sure and of course little more practise won't hurt :)

Anyway, maybe MTU was the issue and I'm going to try it later today...

Thanks Marten

• Still no update on the midchain parent issue. I ran into it also. At least one person has documented it. Too bad INE can't update their content in 4 years. I'm getting used to the typos now and wishing i would have just bought R&S360. Let's go INE. I paid thousands of dollars for your content. Proof read, error check, validate, and improve. We all have to do it in our 9-5 as network engineers.

• tcurtis45tcurtis45
    edited February 2018

There is a few ways to skin this cat, but this will fix the issue if you are having problems with the midchain parent routing loop:

R1
    router eigrp 1
    distribute-list route-map DENY_EIGRP in
    !
    route-map DENY_EIGRP deny 10
    match ip address prefix-list DENY_010010010010
    route-map DENY_EIGRP permit 20
    !
    ip prefix-list DENY_010010010010 seq 5 permit 10.10.10.10/32
    ip prefix-list DENY_010010010010 seq 10 permit 9.9.9.9/32

• traj15traj15

What is the physical connection for topology used in the foundation lab 1,2 and 3