When is IE going to update the lab to support 7961's? Does anyone know? Thanks

Comments

• I wish I knew but in this message, Josh states that everything will remain as is for now.

http://ieoc.com/forums/p/9266/81792.aspx#81792

• All of the labs support and are written around 7961's (and all gen3 phones really). 

Am I misunderstanding?

Mark Snow
    CCIE #14073 (Voice, Security)
    Instructor
    Internetwork Expert

On Dec 24, 2009, at 14:33, cagiva24 <[email protected]> wrote:

When is IE going to update the lab to support 7961's? Does anyone know? Thanks

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • I see. What Josh is talking about here is the phones that reside directly connected to our racks. This does not mean that we don't support the newer gen3 phones, we very much do. In fact for the current version of the IE Voice lab exam, you will need gen3 phones to adequately prepare. IE supports Hardware-based EzVPN with Network Extension Mode so that you may use an ASA5505 or any IOS router to connect a VPN back to us and use your own gen3 phones at your place of study for your testing. This truly is the only way you will be able to fully prepare for the lab exam. Using CIPC or IPBlue will not fully prepare you (although they will get you fairly far) because they do not support all of the features tested in the lab (most notably, though not the only ones, would be Globalization and Mapping the Globalized number to the Localized Variant, although they will support Localization).    

Hope that helps explain things a bit better,

Mark Snow
    CCIE #14073 (Voice, Security)
    Instructor
    Internetwork Expert

On Dec 24, 2009, at 17:29, aquabrown <[email protected]> wrote:

I wish I knew but in this message, Josh states that everything will remain as is for now.

http://ieoc.com/forums/p/9266/81792.aspx#81792

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Well I can not do intercom section on the CUCM.. Why is that?

• Cagiva:

Mark states that using 7961 or any gen3 phone is *supported* but you must use your own and connect to the racks via a router/ASA. 

Mark:

Cagiva is asking when you'll have 7961 or any gen3 phone on the Graded Labs racks for those who rely on rack rental to use.

• Cagiva,

Dunno - but if you want to provide us with a bit more specific information on your intercom/speed dial configuration for both phones involved in the attempted intercom test - we would be glad to take a shot at it ;-)

• do  any have the site for the gen3 phone, not to sound stupid..also would have to get 7961 and gen3s for all the sites? if so then wow. and Mark and can not add the softkey template in the phones with the IE labs for intercom.

•  

Aquabrown,

We have no plans to add 7961's to the racks themselves as it really wouldn't help the remote rack renter in any way. You see, all of the features needing the newer Gen3 phones require you to have the phone in front of you to be able to see the effects of them including but not limited to such things as: Globalized Call History Lists, Intercom, BLF-SD, etc. Having these in the racks wouldn't give you the ability to test them - so you really do have to have these devices in front of you in order to adequately prepare for the IE Lab Exam. BTW, all of the phones on a student's desk in every class we run are Gen3 phones (save the PSTN phone) - just in case you plan/hope to sit a class.

• Not to sound slow but ummm (gen3)??? Help me please

• Cagiva,

If by "do any have the site for the gen3 phone?" you mean do any Voice rack vendors have Gen3 phones at their sites - then my answer would be "Of all that I have researched - none do that I know of". But it really goes back to what I mentioned in my last post which is simply that having Gen3 phones in the racks wouldn't give you the ability to test them since all of the newer features require you to have the phone in front of you to be able to see the effects - including but not limited to such things as: Globalized Call History Lists, Intercom, BLF-SD, etc..

So as much as I hate to say it - and I really don't mean to be coy here as I do understand first-hand the sacrifice and cost involved - but it really boils down to it being part of the investment required to attain the CCIE Voice.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Sorry - Gen3 = Generation 3 hardware IP Phones (e.g. 7941, 7942, 7945, 7961, 7962, 7965, 7971, 7975, etc. basically no 79xx series phone that ends in a "0").

• Mark:

In my above post I was merely "translating" between you and Cagiva. The original link I posted had this information but then you and Cagiva sorta misunderstood each other's question/response.  [8-|]

• Mark:

***Cagiva*** is asking if any of the sites as in HQ, SiteB, SiteC on each rack  have any 7961s attatched and if he or she would have to buy 7961s for each site as in Ph1, Ph2, etc in order to be able to test as you've suggested.

• I would like to mention that there are valid reasons for people relying on only rack rental

Some canddiates have heavy travel/deployment schedules and are not connecting from one place consistently for study.

Others are connecting from work and cannot utilize such equipment there

The list goes on.

In addition, there *are* remote tools that allow a candidate to "see" the screen/directories on phones that are physically on the rack.

• You are correct. that was my question. my bad if i missed word it

• No worries, I had no problem understanding you! [H]

From what Mark and Josh have posted, it looks like there are no 7961s anywhere near the Graded Labs racks and there are no plans to upgrade them since they think you should buy a router, ASA and a bunch of phones yourself. However, I really hope they read what I wrote above and maybe reconsider [I]

As for the number of phones you would need, I'm thinking 2-3. This way you can see the Globalization/Localization from both HQ and Site B, and this would be helpful if the requirements of a given lab ask for different customizations. Again, this is just me. I'm sure Mark will return with his recommendation :)

• Aquabrown,

Certainly I do understand (again myself first-hand) many of the reasons to rely on rack vendors to have this equipment available using remote tools to allow traveling/deployment persons to connect without the need to carry lots of heavy equipment with them.

In an attempt to better remote voice rack rental over the past 4+ years, I have personally tested out a number of solutions including many remote connect software clients and personally haven't found any of them to be adequate/acceptable for efficient usage in a study plan. 

The "least worst" of them - Singlewire (previously Berbee) RemotePhoneControl - is a great product in general (I personally use it for remote support) - however with the excruciatingly slow refresh - I don't find it adequate for use in a productive study or development session (at least not while also keeping your sanity).

I am seriously all ears if you know of something better that you think works well and most importantly fast and efficiently. I love suggestions to improve the quality of the remote rack rental and would definitely recommend purchasing some G3 phones if we found a solution that allowed for (and I again emphasize the most important aspects of the solution) reliable and fast access to remote phone screens and button interaction.

• So let me get this clear.. We can not perform Globlization with  the current phones on the rack. Is that correct? Thanks

• I am so happy youre @ INE and so please don't accept this statement as being smartass or anything ....not flaming, arguing or any of the sort but I can't figure out another way to say this:

First, I've used that Voip Integration Remote control as well as Singlewire's RemotePhoneControl. While the Voip Integration one was a little slow, it's dealable.

I have never experienced any issues with speed with the Singlewire product. It works great for me.

In my opinion , the most important aspect of the solution is that there be one. Fast is great, yay for speed, but if I were in the situations I posted earlier, I'd be happy with "slower" than "none"...especially since I only need it to test a few features, and once I'm OK with that, I can move on and rely on IP Blue/CIPC for everything else.

And again, RemotePhoneControl doesn't work slow for me...I can see calls pop up, I can answer, and I'm not using any particularly fast PC or internet speed.

Thanks  for your attention to this discussion and willingness to explore other solutions. :)

• No offense taken in any way. 

It's also very possible (probable) that I was using an older version of RemotePhoneControl when I last tested it. Let me download the latest version and test it out again and see what we come up with. 

Another potential problem though is licensing. We couldn't in any scalable fashion, provide licenses for every student without passing that cost on in some way. We could allow the preverbal "you" - each remote rack renter - to purchase your own licenses for the software - but then you could have done that all along.

We could have the app running on the new (not quite advertised yet because it is still being cloned out to every rack) XP box running on each rack to more closely simulate the actual lab where you have a test XP machine you RDP/VNC into ... however only problem we run into there is that you would here no audio.

What would you think about that? Do you think most folks would be fine with that?

• OH PLEASE dont touch rack prices! LOL

Re: you could have done that all along.

Some of "us" *do* have the software. I use it every time I have a session.  However, it just controls physical phones that are already there...which are 7960s.

But as for making a standard solution on the xp boxes.......that sounds great to me! No audio? Fine, there is still IPBlue, CIPC, etc...for testing tasks where we'd need audio.

At the end of the day, you've provided a stand alone foundation that allows for every single blueprint task to be configured and tested. Of course it still requires effort on the students' part--but like you said above, this journey requires an investment....not just of money, but of time, and effort as well. 

Let me know how your testing goes, and if I may be able to assist in any way [8-|]

• Thanks the both of yall for the input. Now lets get it rocking and pass the Exam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Just to keep everyone updated, we are still working on some testing, and Aquabrown has been great in helping us out with the process from a remote customer perspective. We should have some more news/info soon.

Thank You

• Glad to see the 7961s

thanks IE