14.7 PE-CE routing with OSPF

I am noticing some disparity in the solutions where sometimes the "no" commands are given and sometimes they are not. 14.7 does not tell you to take out the redistribute static (which should be obvious to most), but on other tasks the commands that need to be removed are listed in the solution.

Also the explanations for 14.7 has a few typos and transpositions.

I would rather get material as-is and deal with little bugs and errata: versus waiting for something that is "perfect".  So I am not complaining, but I do wnat to see the suggestions and or corrections revised into the digital copy or at least addressed in th forum as to why the material is Okay as-is.

Comments

• Hello,

In the task it is asked that R6 should only see a /16 summary for the prefix 172.16.8.8/24, i did an aggregate address on R5 but in the SG we see a summary on R6 which is for my opinion not responding to the asked taks !!!

We had to summarize before R6.

Waiting for comments, thnx.

• As I was going through VOL1, I noticed quite a few typos and inconsistencies as well. It would of course be nice if someone would take the time to fix reported errors in the training material as they are found and make the change available online. On the other hand, if I look back at the time I spent troubleshooting questions and solutions that didn't work, all I can say is that I learned a whole lot. I caught myself wondering if the mistakes weren't left there on purpose to get the students to dig deeper.

As far as this question goes, recent 3560 IOS DOES support capability vrf-lite, which kinda takes the fun out of this question.

• You are right, wording of this task regarding aggregation is wrong.

The aimed idea probably was that SW1 should not see 172.16.8.8 but 172.16.0.0/16 aggregate only. R6 cannot see any aggregate itself. As ASBR (receiving routes as if from different AS due to different OSPF domain-id than locally configured) will aggregate itself. This aggreagate will be visible 1 hop further, on SW1.

Tom

• We listened to the feedback and edited this chapter and reposted it. This was announced on blog.ine.com

Please make sure everyone is looking at the latest post of this chapter. 

• Arrggghh my head!!!!    

SW1's sh ip route vrf VPN_A depicts a number of E2 routes within vrf VPN_A, yet R6 is sending an aggregate of 172.16.0.0/16 so these routes are never going to hit the table due to the aggregate address cmd.

Rack1SW1#sh ip route vrf VPN_A                                     

Routing Table: VPN_A
    Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
           D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
           N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
           E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
           i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
           ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
           o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

155.1.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C       155.1.67.0 is directly connected, Vlan67
         172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
    C       172.16.7.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback101
    O E2    172.16.0.0/16 [110/2] via 155.1.67.6, 00:12:19, Vlan67
    Rack1SW1#

Workbook version: iewb-rs-vol1.ENTIREWORKBOOK.v5.014

Tech-Edit Team, please could somebody perform a sweep through this chapter as there are a number of errors contained within it...

Cheers,

Steve

• Steve,

This was one of the first chapters we edited. We have always planned to go back and give it another review.  Right now the order is BGP, QoS, OSPF and then we will look at MPLS again before moving on to some of the easier topics.  Don't lose patience with us.  At the moment we are working on a lot of products, time and equipment is a limited resource. These issues are being addressed at this very moment.

--The TechEdit Team

• TechEdit Team,

I think you guys are doing a fantastic job and I was not having a go at you!  The addition of the TechEdit Team is a valuable resource not just for us Students, I am sure that the Instructors appreciate some of the workload being removed from their heavy shoulders!

BGP - not much wrong there, I have covered it twice.

QoS - Don't open the workbook, it's over 400 pages and you might suffer a heart attack [;)]

OSPF - again, no real issues there.

MPLS - Not a particularly difficuly topic, at an IE level I would add.  Even when watching the videos and reading the R&S Certification guide it all makes sense to me.  The problem however lies in the fact that there is LOTS of layering going on and the commands are a bit alien so you quicky end up getting lost in it all.  Then when you look to validate your work against the expected output in the Workbook and that's wrong then it gets very frustrating.

Out of all the chapters that I have covered so far, MPLS feels like the least complete.

I appreciate your efforts and continued support, keep up the good work.

Steve

• Sorry Guys,

Scrub this post, the bit referring to the lack of the E2 routes in SW1 anyway.  I am working through this again this evening and all is OK, so either Dynamips was screwing with me or I was screwing with myself last night. More Caffeine reqd!

172.16.8.8 is not in the ospf database though due to the filtering so part of the task it still incorrect.

Steve

• Hello,

Do any one knows OSPF capability vrf-lite supported on IOS in real LAB? We need to use them on Multi-VRF-lite CE devices.

router ospf 100 vrf VPN-A
     capability vrf-lite

Without this feature Type-3 (Internal Type-1 and Type-2 also) LSA from PE will not get installed by CE devices with OSPF on vrf enabled process.

How can we configure if, capability vrf-lite is not supported in CE router?

• where did you repost it? I am unable to find it.

• On SW1 I do not see 155.1.58.0/24 (R5's Fa0/0). It is in R6 as BGP internal (yes I am redistributing both ways). The post from "stepomfret" shows it doesn't appear on his SW1 either (my SW1 table looks exactly like his).

Rack1SW1#sh ip route vrf VPN_A
         155.1.0.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C       155.1.67.0 is directly connected, Vlan67
         172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
    C       172.16.7.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback101
    O E2    172.16.0.0/16 [110/2] via 155.1.67.6, 00:54:25, Vlan67
    Rack1SW1#

Rack1R6#sh ip route vrf VPN_A
         155.1.0.0/24 is subnetted, 3 subnets
    B       155.1.8.0 [200/2] via 150.1.5.5, 00:56:04
    B       155.1.58.0 [200/0] via 150.1.5.5, 02:24:05
    C       155.1.67.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.67
         172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 3 subnets, 2 masks
    B       172.16.8.8/32 [200/2] via 150.1.5.5, 00:56:04
    O       172.16.7.7/32 [110/2] via 155.1.67.7, 00:56:54, FastEthernet0/0.67
    O       172.16.0.0/16 is a summary, 00:56:03, Null0
         150.1.0.0/32 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    B       150.1.8.8 [200/2] via 150.1.5.5, 00:56:04
    Rack1R6#

• The VRF's need to be updated also.  It's pretty obvious but could confuse someone just starting.  VPN_A is configured on the .67 interface and IP but then the route is for the .76 interface and IP address.  This is never corrected in the following labs either. 

• I had this problem yesterday, one day later and after TONS of troubleshooting I found something like this

*Mar  1 00:11:37.679: OSPF: Do not schedule partial SPF - type 3 id 155.1.8.0 adv rtr 192.168.6.6, INTRA/INTER                                 spf scheduled

I don't know why the BGP learned routes are not redistributed as redistribute bgp AS is written on router ospf 100 vrf VPN_A says.

OH I found the answer in here http://ieoc.com/forums/t/17423.aspx by image RichardK