Task 1.2 PPPoE

Can't seem to find info about this on the DOC-CD http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/psa/configure.html?mode=prod

It would be appreciated if you could direct me to a URL with some extra info on this.

Thx

Comments

• Try this: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/bbdsl/configuration/guide/12_4/bba_12_4_book.html

PPPoA/PPPoE is now under Broadband Access (BBA).

Can't seem to find info about this on the DOC-CD http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/psa/configure.html?mode=prod

It would be appreciated if you could direct me to a URL with some extra info on this.

Thx

• On Dec 24, 2009, at 7:46 AM, cciace_1978 wrote:

Can't seem to find info about this on the DOC-CD http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/psa/configure.html?mode=prod

Thx

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Word of warning here guys. The Doc-cd http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/bbdsl/configuration/guide/bba_ppoe_client_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1069878

shows the following for the clients dialer interface config:

1. imageenable

2. imageconfigure terminal

3. imageinterface dialer number

4. imagemtu bytes

5. imageip address negotiated

6. imagedialer pool number

7. imagedialer-group group-number

So I applied this, still couldn't get it running. Afterwards I checked my notes - the above is missing the vital command ENCAPSULATION PPP. Without it the interface doesn't come up. Anyone know if there is a valid reason this is missing from the above?

• Probably human mistake or let's just call what it is CISCO MISTAKE. [+o(]

But you're right, the default encapsulation for dialer interface is HDLC. you will need to turn on PPP encapsulation manually for it to work!!!

HTH

• Is there some way we can notify Cisco? I am just thinking of my poor fellow candidates. I swear they boobytrap the doc-cd specifically for students sometimes....

• Hi,

Maybe this is a little off-topic from the post but it has to do with this task, so I won't create a new thread here :D

For my configuration I created a local pool in R5 instead of using DHCP and everything works fine except that I had to create the pool in the following way:

ip local pool VLAN54 130.1.54.6 130.1.54.255

As you can see I couldn't find a way like in DHCP to exclude an already in-use IP add from the pool, so I had to start the pool from .6 and of course R4 is now 130.1.54.6 and not .4. Also, in the dialer interface I used "ip address negotiated" instead of "ip address dhcp", but as I stated everything works fine for me, so I was wondering if this would be considered a valid solution or not?

Also, I used "ip ospf mtu-ignore" in R5 and R4 for the OSPF adjacency to come up.

Thanks,

Jorge

• The task states you need to have the address in the /24 subnet. With the ip local pool, the addresses are assigned with the /32 mask.

With ip local pool.

Rack1R4#show ip int dialer 1
    Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up
      Internet address is 130.1.54.3/32
      Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255

With DHCP.

Rack1R4#show ip int dial 1
      Internet address is 130.1.54.4/24

HTH

• Hello guys

1.Just curious, the pppoe client basic configuration is quite neatly documented and I can configure pppoe client from it

What I am completely confused is server side. Is there basic, classic, functional config somewhere in crisisco doc? or will I improvize...

2.When using dialer on client side - and virtual-template on server side, would it be possible to use ppp ipcp mask to get correct

mask to the client?

• The task states you need to have the address in the /24 subnet. With the ip local pool, the addresses are assigned with the /32 mask.

You are certainly right and SG confirm that, but I also used ip local pool. I interpreted "R5 should hand out addresses in the 130.1.54.0/24 subnet" as "R5 should give pppoe clients addresses from 130.1.54.0/24 subnet", not as "clients should have /24 mask". Just my little comment on this.

There is also one issue - nobody says, that R4 should have .4 address.

regards,

• It's weird that I got a /24 route for R4 using local pool AND using DHCP local pool too ...

R5:

interface Virtual-Template1
     ip address 130.1.54.5 255.255.255.0
     peer default ip address pool TEST
    end

Rack1R5#sh run | sec TEST
     peer default ip address pool TEST
    ip local pool TEST 130.1.54.4

Rack1R4#sh ip int dialer 1
      Internet address is 130.1.54.4/24

Now reloading with the correct config and got the same.

Can someone enlight me please ?

Thanks

• 1 month later I did that lab again and I got a /24 route using DHCP and a /32 route using Local pool and IPCP

Rack1R4#sh ip int dialer 1
      Internet address is 130.1.54.4/32

Also it's good to play with DHCP + different client ID on the Client

• sorry maybe stupid qustion but i can't find a way to add command pppoe-client in dynamips in router subinterfaces, is there something i do wrong? 

Rack1R4(config-subif)#pppoe ?

enable        Enable pppoe

max-sessions  Maximum PPPOE sessions

-----------------------------

when is in main interface its good

Rack1R4(config)#int fa 0/1

Rack1R4(config-if)#pp

Rack1R4(config-if)#pppoe?

pppoe  pppoe-client

Rack1R4(config-if)#pppoe

• Has anyone been able to ge MULTILINK to work with PPPOE?

I've gotten PPPOE to work, and PPP multilink via serial, but not PPPOE with multilink. (ie 2 or more interfaces aggregated)

I've also heard it said that this was supported and conversely that it is *not* supported.

And i've been directed to documentation - but containing every other type of config.

• Interesting - no one seems to know.

Well, I guess that means it's not on the R&S labs then. [:)]

• Hi 99x,

PPPoE doesn't support multilink. And multilink is not specified in PPPoE's RFC 2516.
    Please read this post: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2013453

Happy Studying [B]

• Hey thanks for the answer.

I feel relieved now, as I can confirm why I cannot get this to work. [:)]

• Multilink works fine with PPPoE either in client or in server mode.

You add ppp multilink command under Dialer or Virtual-template.

On physical interface for client you enable "pppoe-client dialer-pool-number" on both interfaces

for server "pppoe enable" on both interfaces.

• You're right, it worked!!![Y]

Thanks!!!

This was similar to the configuration that I had - only I created a multilink group and interface - not *just multlink* command on the dialer (client) and vi (server) interfaces.

I tried putting the ip address on the dialer and vt interfaces....... and/or putting the address on the multilink interfaces and neither worked.

At best- i would get 1 interface only to forward traffic.

But with the above recommended config - works perfectly and debug and interface statistics confirm load balancing between both interfaces1!

Sweet!!!

debug ppp multilink data

___________________________________________________________________________________

*Sep 25 06:53:36.076: Vi4 MLP: I data 003D 4000 00A7 ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD

*Sep 25 06:53:36.092: Vi4 MLP: O data CA05 238C 0038 CA00 2EA4 0038 8864 1100

*Sep 25 06:53:36.092: Vi2 MLP: O data CA05 238C 0000 CA00 2EA4 0000 8864 1100

*Sep 25 06:53:36.196: Vi2 MLP: I data 003D 8000 00A8 0021 4500 0064 2367 0000

*Sep 25 06:53:36.200: Vi4 MLP: I data 003D 4000 00A9 ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD ABCD

___________________________________________________________________________________

CONFIG =  PPPOE  CLIENT

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex full

pppoe enable group global

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 45

interface FastEthernet2/0

no ip address

duplex full

pppoe enable group global

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 45

interface Dialer45

mtu 1492

ip address 45.45.45.5 255.255.255.248

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 45

dialer idle-timeout 0

dialer persistent

keepalive 300

ppp multilink

PPOE SERVER

interface FastEthernet0/0

no ip address

duplex full

pppoe enable group G45

interface FastEthernet2/0

no ip address

duplex full

pppoe enable group G45

bba-group pppoe G45

virtual-template 45

interface Virtual-Template45

ip address 45.45.45.4 255.255.255.0

keepalive 300

ppp multilink

• Hi Lenin and 99x,

Thank you for the correction and for testing it out [Y]

• Edited to Remove Posting - Didn't read the whole thread and saw it was already answered :(

• I used local address pool too, not DHCP. The question doesn't say anything about a static mapping for the address of R4.

The task says "R5 should hand out addresses in the 130.1.54.0/24 subnet"

To me this means it should be assigning any addresses in THAT subnet range, and because it says not to use the "network" command (which is kind of vague in itself), the best solution is to use local address pool.

This is how I did it:

ip local pool PPPOE 130.1.54.1 130.1.54.4
    ip local pool PPPOE 130.1.54.6 130.1.54.254

This gets the entire range, excluding R5

Things like this scare me about the lab. I wouldn't necessarily ask the
    proctor about this, because in my mind I have done exactly what the task
    asked for.

• This is how I did it:

ip local pool PPPOE 130.1.54.1 130.1.54.4
    ip local pool PPPOE 130.1.54.6 130.1.54.254

But this will assign /32 address to R4 not /24.