Task 4.5 OSPF

I was lost on this question, when I saw the SG said to use a Tunnel and I wasn't able to correlate using an additional IP or let alone one to choose, I simply created the networks and adjacency for Area 2 and was getting ready to move on to the next task. Is it just me or does this seem a bit tricky? I guess not if you need full reachability.

Comments

• The solution should be the use of a virtual link. But as it is a stub area, you can't. So the only way to connect your area to the backbone area is to use a tunnel interface inserted into the area 0. It's the reason why you re authorized to use additionnal ip addr.

hth
  • Thanks Rich it makes sense the way the technology works far as connecting back to Area 0.
  • Whats the diffence with making the Tunnel network in area 2 on both R2 & R5 vs Area 0 on both? I started out with area 2 on both and it worked but checking my work it shows to use area 0 whats the difference if the adjaceny is established and I have full reachability?
  • Whats the diffence with making the Tunnel network in area 2 on both R2 & R5 vs Area 0 on both? I started out with area 2 on both and it worked but checking my work it shows to use area 0 whats the difference if the adjaceny is established and I have full reachability?
  • Has there been any response as to having the tunnel in area 2 versus area 0 to complete task 4.5?
  • to have Tunnel in area 0 is better for...for R2, because it have to know less LSAs than it would know if Tunnel is in area 2.

also assigning aditional addresses to ethernet interfaces makes no sense - OSPF can not set up adj between secondaries.
  • It works just fine setting it up in Area 2. The solution allows you to create a new subnet and assign it to the tunnel interface, under the ospf process create the network for either area 2 or 0.

I don't see where your getting assigning additional addresses to an ethernet interface or secondaries in your last sentence?
  •  Originally Posted By: gwood83

I don't see where your getting assigning additional addresses to an ethernet interface or secondaries in your last sentence?

Hi!

last bullet from task 4.5 say
     Quote:

• You are allowed to add one additional IP subnet to accomplish this.

theoretically it can be interpreted like "you may assign additional IP adds to ethernet interfaces and add 'em to area 0/2 to make OSPF domain contiguous"

but we know, that OSPF won't setup adj between secondary addresses, so we go and build additional interfaces - Tunnel interfaces.
  • Ok I see what your saying how it could be interpreted.
  • Hello there!!
    Just wanted to add a question regarding this task..

On the previous task when you issue the command (show ip route 150.1.8.8 | include 150.1.8.0) to verify area configuration, the result shows on both R2 & R5 as O N2 150.1.8.0/24 [110/20] via 141.1.0.8

After creating the tunnel on R2 & R5 an putting it on area 0. The result on R2 for the command (show ip route 150.1.8.8 | include 150.1.8.0) is O E2 150.1.8.0/24 [110/20] via 141.1.0.8 on R5 it still shows as N2.

Is this the expected result?

Thanks