VOL1 3.9 Gatekeeper

Not having much luck with task 3.9. 

Br2 > Hq results in 'Your call cannot be completed as dialed.  Please consult your directory and dial again' from CCM.

Hq > Br2 results in fast busy.

I do have a question about Step 6.  It states 'The PreDot digit stripping instruction at the Route List level automatically strips off anything that is unnecessary.'  At Step 8 (Route List) it does not specify to select PreDot.  I selected 'PreDot' anyway.  However, calls still failed so I did DNA > Gateway from 3001 to 1#1001.  DNA associates the this call with the right Translation Pattern but the end result is still a called number of 1#1001.  With PreDot added shouldn't I expect DNA to show the final called number as 1001?  I notice there are other Discard Digit options that list #.  Is it possible we would use one of these or is PreDot used even for a pattern that does not contain a dot?

Comments

• Also, at Step 3 we add the H.225 Trunk to CSS_HQ_DEVICE which seems to make sense so calls coming in on the Trunk can reach the Hq phones.  Step 5 then says to assign CSS_GK_TRUNK to the Trunk we configured in the previous step.  Where I am confused at this point is how would calls ring the phones at Hq if the only partition in CSS_GK_TRUNK is PT_GK_TRUNK?  Wouldn't you need a common CSS that contains PT_GK_TRUNK and PT_HQ_DEVICE?

• Mark,

Indeed if your Phones' DNs are assigned to a Partition, then that Partition does have to be inside of the CSS that is assigned to the GK Trunk.

On Dec 21, 2009, at 12:06 AM, MarkH wrote:

Also, at Step 3 we add the H.225 Trunk to CSS_HQ_DEVICE which seems to make sense so calls coming in on the Trunk can reach the Hq phones.  Step 5 then says to assign CSS_GK_TRUNK to the Trunk we configured in the previous step.  Where I am confused at this point is how would calls ring the phones at Hq if the only partition in CSS_GK_TRUNK is PT_GK_TRUNK?  Wouldn't you need a common CSS that contains PT_GK_TRUNK and PT_HQ_DEVICE?

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Mark,

Phew! After an enjoyable 'break' during the holiday I am diving right back into studying.  I am picking up right where I left off.  Calls from BR2 (3001) > HQ (1001) fail with 'Your call cannot be complted as dialed'.  From what I can see so far, the call from BR2 is making it across the WAN to UCM7, and it's UCM7 that is speaking the treatment message.

Here is what is confusing me about task 3.9

Step 3: Add new Device > Trunk.  Assign it Calling Search Space = CSS_HQ_DEVICE

Step 4: Create a new partition PT_GK_TRUNK. Next, create a new CSS calls CSS_GK_TRUNK and assign new PT_GK_TRUNK.  Assign the new CSS to the gatekeeper trunk under Device > Trunk

I think step 3 and 4 are conflicting.  If we follow step 4, how would 1001 ring unless we also add PT_GK_TRUNK to CSS_HQ_DEVICE.  If that's actually the case, why are we creating a new PT and CSS rather than just leaving it the way we did it in Step 3?

I think if you glance over this task and do a sanity check you will see where the confusion resides.

• Whatever CSS you assign the Trunk to *has* to be able to see (reach) the phones. So either you put the internal partitions in your CSS_Trunk or you leave the css as HQ_device.

So the solution steps are wrong.

Sorry, not mark but just wanted to reiterate that.

• Aquabrown (and Mark),

My apologies, I didn't explain the actual problem very well.  Where I am getting stuck is whether I assign CSS_HQ_DEVICE to the Trunk, while the phones are also assigned to PT_HQ_DEVICE and CSS_HQ_DEVICE, the calls from BR2 > HQ fail.  If I change the Trunk to CSS_GK_TRUNK and also assign PT_HQ_DEVICE to CSS_GK_TRUNK, the calls still fail with treatment. So, I think the problem is somewhere else.  I am going to keep digging.

• Can someone please verify:

Step 6 says: The "PreDot" digit stripping instruction at the Route List level automatically strips off anything that is unnecessary.  However, the diagram shows us setting Called Party Transformation for Step 6 to Discard Digit: PreDot.

Step 8 says: New Call Routing > Route Hunt > Route List RL_GK. Step 6 says digit stripping will happen on the Route List, but we are not instructed to set the Discard Digit to PreDot on this Route List.  Should we?

• Mark,

Just as a side note, the CSS that a phone has assigned to it doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on if that phone can be reached. The only thing mattering to determine that is 1)What Partition the DN on the phone happens to belong to and 2)If the CSS on the Inbound device (your Trunk in this case) happens to contain that Partition of the phone trying to be reached.

Understanding that you are saying that you have checked that the CSS assigned to the Trunk does in fact contain the HQ Phone DN Partition, then you are correct in thinking that the problem is elsewhere.

Try:
    - If you have any CUCM Locations on either the HQ Phone or the GK-Trunk, reduce them to 0 for the moment.
    - Make sure that the GK-Trunk in CUCM has Inbound Call Routing set to 4 SigDigits (to strip any potential Tech Prefix)
    - Make sure the GK is in fact routing the call by doing a "debug h225 ras" on the GK router and ensuring that you see TWO sets of "ACF"s being sent from the GK - one to R3's IP address, and one to CUCM Sub or Pub - If you don't see two sets of ACFs - then you have a GK routing issue.
    - Make sure that the GK-Trunk page in CUCM does not have Inbound H.323 Fast Start checked - or if it does, that the codec being sent from the outbound R3 Dial Peer matches that on the GK-Trunk page there and with Regions.

Start there and let us know how it progresses.

Cheers,

On Jan 4, 2010, at 2:50 PM, MarkH wrote:

Aquabrown (and Mark),

My apologies, I didn't explain the actual problem very well.  Where I am getting stuck is whether I assign CSS_HQ_DEVICE to the Trunk, while the phones are also assigned to PT_HQ_DEVICE and CSS_HQ_DEVICE, the calls from BR2 > HQ fail.  If I change the Trunk to CSS_GK_TRUNK and also assign PT_HQ_DEVICE to CSS_GK_TRUNK, the calls still fail with treatment. So, I think the problem is somewhere else.  I am going to keep digging.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Thanks Mark, I'm 50% of the way there.  Calls from BR2 to HQ are working.  I didn't have the significant digits set to 4 on the GK Trunk page. This is missing from the configuration at Step 3, although I should have known better and caught it. I mis-understood thinking the 1# tech-prefix we assign on the GK Trunk page would indicate to UCM that it should strip 1#. [:|]