Voice mail in AAR and SRST

I am trying to make voice mail work in both AAR and SRST at the same time.

For SRST, when I enable the incoming redirect number on the HQ-RTR, it works fine. So, any calls forwarded noanswer or busy from SRST phone, calls the voicemail pilot number on the HQ via PSTN and based on the redirect number, it gets routed directly to branch users mailbox. All is fine.

But, when I have a situation where there is no more bandwidth between the 2 sites and a phone on branch tries to retrieve their own voicemail, they press the MESSAGE button. This call tries the vm pilot but due to AAR, gets routed through the PSTN to the 10 digit vm pilot. What AAR also does is marks it as forwarded from the vm pilot i.e. the redirect number field in ISDN is populated with the 4 digit VM pilot number. So, the call ends up in the general VM greeting instaed of the branch phones mailbox.

Is their any way to circumvent this issue.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Never mind. I figured out. Actually, I needed to put the branch phones e164 number as an alternate extension.

Apparently, Unity Connection first looks at the CallingNumber to find a matching mailbox and if nothoing is found then only looks at the RedirectNumber. Since, with AAR, I was sending 10 digit CallerID it couldn't find the mailbox and directed to the RedirectNumber greeting.

• Sorry, one more issue. While AAR is in affect, calls coming from PSTN to branch phones are not being forwarded to voice mail.

That's true even for HQ phone calling a branch phone through AAR. I am using H323 gateway on the branch.

Any ideas.

• Can you post your gateway config?

• Do you have a AAR Group and AAR CSS applied to the BR1 GW?
    When a call is coming in Br1 from the PSTN, it comes in via the Br1 GW and never actually terminates on the Br1 phone that is fwd'ing to VM, and it is therefore the Br1 GW that still has control over the call and needs to do the fwd'ing and use its AAR settings to do so. 

HTH

Mark Snow
    CCIE #14073 (Voice, Security)
    Instructor
    Internetwork Expert

On Dec 4, 2009, at 21:22, kashned <[email protected]> wrote:

Sorry, one more issue. While AAR is in affect, calls coming from PSTN to branch phones are not being forwarded to voice mail.

That's true even for HQ phone calling a branch phone through AAR. I am using H323 gateway on the branch.

Any ideas.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Thanks! Giving the aar-group and aar-css on the branch gateway fixed it.

But here is another question to close this matter. I had given the aar-group and aar-css in the branch device pool and applied that dp to all the branch phones and the branch gateway. It looks like the phones inherited this setting from the dp but the gateway did not. I knew that gateway doesn't take the mrgl setting from the dp but apparently it also foesn't take the aar settings from there.

Are there any other settings that the gateway does not take from the dp? Also, is this behavior only for h323 GW or applies to MGCP gateway also.

Thanks again for your help.

• Hi Kashned,

Assigning AAR Group, AAR-CSS, and the MRGL at the Device Pool level all should cause those settings to be propagated to and taken by the Gateway, just like any other device. Take a look at this link from 7.0.1 Admin Guide:
    Not sure why your MRGL set at DP wasn't being utilized at the GW level - except to say that maybe you have run into a bug in 7.0 (there are many!). Maybe next time you try setting these settings at the DP level for a GW, try resetting the DP, and if that doesn't cause them to work properly, reset your CCM service on both Pub and Sub.
    Believe it or not I have seen two phones registered to the same CUCM 7.0 Cluster both with DN's in no partition (null pt) not even able to call each other before I reset the CCM service on both Pub and Sub - after that they worked fine. Not fun - but things to be aware of in the lab.

HTH

On Dec 5, 2009, at 5:00 PM, kashned wrote:

Thanks! Giving the aar-group and aar-css on the branch gateway fixed it.

But here is another question to close this matter. I had given the aar-group and aar-css in the branch device pool and applied that dp to all the branch phones and the branch gateway. It looks like the phones inherited this setting from the dp but the gateway did not. I knew that gateway doesn't take the mrgl setting from the dp but apparently it also foesn't take the aar settings from there.

Are there any other settings that the gateway does not take from the dp? Also, is this behavior only for h323 GW or applies to MGCP gateway also.

Thanks again for your help.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx