Lab1 transformation question

Hi,

I was on Lab 1. I just don't understand the task 4.3-4.6. Why use the translation parttern as well as tranformation pattern? What is the difference between these two? and Why use wildcards character + as route parttern? What does "+" mean here?

Any idea?

Best regards.

Comments

• Hello Jordan,

The use of both Translation patterns and Transformation patterns is the "new style" of call routing. While you can generally configure the routing using just route patterns, you will find that the flexibility, and ease of configuration come into focus with this new style. The most immediate benefit is the reduction of Route Patterns required for each site. In conjunction with Local Route Groups, a single, or limited amount of route patterns can be configured to handle all call routing, eliminating the need for duplicate patterns at each site, and multiple route lists.

Further features such as AAR and it's configuration are greatly simplified as well. After doing a few labs, you should get the idea behind the routing. If you have any further questions though, please don't hesitate to email me directly, and I will be glad to assist.

[email protected]

Thank You,

• Hi,Josh

Thank you for your answer. I would like to ask you more question. Now that I have understand the goodness of using translation pattern and transformation pattern, I want to know the exact difference between of the two. How does the CCM complement them? What is the order when using them both at a mean time? And Why use + in such case?

Jordan

2009/11/11 Josh Finke <[email protected]>

Hello Jordan,

The use of both Translation patterns and Transformation patterns is the "new style" of call routing. While you can generally configure the routing using just route patterns, you will find that the flexibility, and ease of configuration come into focus with this new style. The most immediate benefit is the reduction of Route Patterns required for each site. In conjunction with Local Route Groups, a single, or limited amount of route patterns can be configured to handle all call routing, eliminating the need for duplicate patterns at each site, and multiple route lists.

Further features such as AAR and it's configuration are greatly simplified as well. After doing a few labs, you should get the idea behind the routing. If you have any further questions though, please don't hesitate to email me directly, and I will be glad to assist.

[email protected]

Thank You,

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Hello Jordan,

The translation pattern will take first priority in the number manipulation order, right after the numbe is dialed, and before it reaches a route pattern. The transformation pattern will take last priority as the call is transferred to the gateway. This is the reason that the transformation pattern is used to strip the leading + from each called pattern.

The reason for the + is to ensure CUCM recognizes the + as a single digit, instead of a wildcard. The character acts as a delimiter, removing any wildcard attributes from the +.

Hope this helps,

• Thanks, Josh.

I got the idea. But as for the lab 1, I found that the complemetation of the transformation pattern didn't work(routing not effective), however if I didn't complement it(just ignore it), the system goes right. The "+"character seamed to be sent to the gateway even with the configured transformation pattern. But as I turned to use "strip prodot" mothed to strip the +, it works, and no "+"was sent out and routing went right. So, I would like to know if it is a MUST-TO-DO to implement the transformation parttern on this lab, or it was just that I didn't make the configuration corretly concerned to the transformation pattern?

One more question: As we have to strip the leading + before it goes to the gateway, why bother prefix at the beginning? What's the use of the + as a normal digit here?

2009/11/12 Josh Finke <[email protected]>

Hello Jordan,

The translation pattern will take first priority in the number manipulation order, right after the numbe is dialed, and before it reaches a route pattern. The transformation pattern will take last priority as the call is transferred to the gateway. This is the reason that the transformation pattern is used to strip the leading + from each called pattern.

The reason for the + is to ensure CUCM recognizes the + as a single digit, instead of a wildcard. The character acts as a delimiter, removing any wildcard attributes from the +.

Hope this helps,

• Hello Jordan,

The issue may be related to the calling search space being used. Ensure that the proper CSS is set for outbound on the gateway and includes the partition that is assigned to the Called Party Transformation.

Example:

Gateway CSS should be CSS_HQ_CALLED_OUT, which contains PT_HQ_CALLED_OUT which is assigned to the Called Party Transformation Pattern of +.!

The reason for using the + is once again the simplicity of matching a single route pattern. (example: +!)

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you any additional questions

• Hi,Josh,thank you.

Just as you said, I think it must be the CSS that caused the issue. I'll test it next time. BTW, could I ask again that if transformation pattern is the ONLY one solution in this lab? Could I use strip pro-dot in route patttern, like a route pattern "+.!"?, and then I strip the + character under the situation with using the transformation pattern?

As to the +, I would like to discuss a little more. As I have test on the lab, I found that the route pattern with a single "!" doesn't work. So is it the reason that we instead use the route pattern "+!" to act as the same implementation? I mean, since we can't use !, then we have to use +!, is it correct? Do we have other options? Like 'x!' ?

Thanks

Jordan

2009/11/13 Josh Finke <[email protected]>

Hello Jordan,

The issue may be related to the calling search space being used. Ensure that the proper CSS is set for outbound on the gateway and includes the partition that is assigned to the Called Party Transformation.

Example:

Gateway CSS should be CSS_HQ_CALLED_OUT, which contains PT_HQ_CALLED_OUT which is assigned to the Called Party Transformation Pattern of +.!

The reason for using the + is once again the simplicity of matching a single route pattern. (example: +!)

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you any additional questions

• Hello,

For your information, I found another way to answer to this lab question. I use :
    - translation patterns in order to add "+" digit before the dialed number with StripPreDot (e.g. "9.1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX" becomes "+1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX" ) ;

- one route pattern with a dot just after the "+" digit ( "+.!" ) and I use StripPreDot to remove the "+" when the number is sent to the gateway ;

- dial peers stay like the workbook proposes.

It seems to me that it is an easier way to answer the question, without using transformation patterns for called and calling (but maybe INE uses here transformation patterns for educational purposes).

I think this solution does fit the requirements of the lab question, it would be nice to have Josh's advice about it :-.

Best regards,

SB.

• Hi,SB,

I do agree with you and that's the way I sovled the issue. I just wondered why the transfomation patthern mothod didn't work here. If the lab question doesn't require we MUST use transformation pattern, it it better to use the StripPreDot in route pattern, I think.

regards,

Jordan

2009/11/13 sb.ccie <[email protected]>

Hello,

For your information, I found another way to answer to this lab question. I use :
    - translations pattern in order to add "+" digit before the dialed number with StripPreDot (e.g. "9.1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX" becomes "+1[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX" ) ;

- one route pattern with Dot just after the "+" digit ( "+.*" ) and I use StripPreDot to remove the "+" when the number is sent to the gateway ;
    - dial peers stay like the workbook proposes.

It seems to me that it is an easier way to answer the question, without using transformation patterns for called and calling (but maybe INE uses here transformation patterns for educational purposes.

I think this solution does fit the requirements of the lab question, it would be nice to have Josh's advice about it :-.

Best regards,
    SB.

• To Jordan and SB,

Your solution will in fact work, and as SB said, the reasoing is simply to learn the new method, and get in practice with it, as further configuration will require this method, and make advanced globalized call routing far simpler.

• Josh,

I think some of your answers don't work for Lab 1 4.2 - 4.6.

For example in 4.6 where the Called party's call log should display +XXXXXXXXXX. The 'Calling Party Transformation Pattern Configuration' setting where you strip predot from +.! would not result in a calling number of +XXXXXXXXXX. In the first place numbers in the PSTN don't have the + sign because the PSTN gateway doesn't add them. Why is the Calling Party Transformation Pattern Configuration not adding a + but rather stripping it?

Hello Jordan,

Hope this helps,