Error in Internetwork Expert Workbook Volume 4, Troubleshooting Lab 1, Ticket 2

Please note! This post contains spoilers on resolving this ticket!!

A couple of errors I have spotted in this ticket.

Firstly, the wording of the issue dowsn't make sense, as it refers to traffic from Sw1 to vlan 9. Reading the answer, it clearly implies that this should read R1 not SW1!

Secondly, based on the initial config of SW3, etherchannel PO23 is not actually configured as a point to point OSPF link. In fact, when I loaded it up, SW2 was preferring the path through SW3 not SW4. I had to adjust the OSPF costs to get it to load balance correctly. Therefore, the description of the ticket, and the answer presented doesn't seem to match with the config.

Does that make sense? Has anyone else spotted this or have I got it wrong?

Comments

• Not sure (do not have access right now).

These labs are currently receiving a Tech and Copy Edit. I will post on our blog when complete.

Thanks! 
    On Oct 25, 2009, at 5:24 AM, cstosgale wrote:

Please note! This post contains spoilers on resolving this ticket!!

A couple of errors I have spotted in this ticket.

Firstly, the wording of the issue dowsn't make sense, as it refers to traffic from Sw1 to vlan 9. Reading the answer, it clearly implies that this should read R1 not SW1!

Secondly, based on the initial config of SW3, etherchannel PO23 is not actually configured as a point to point OSPF link. In fact, when I loaded it up, SW2 was preferring the path through SW3 not SW4. I had to adjust the OSPF costs to get it to load balance correctly. Therefore, the description of the ticket, and the answer presented doesn't seem to match with the config.

Does that make sense? Has anyone else spotted this or have I got it wrong?

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• i agree i had the same issue

in the reall exam u wont need this hardnes becuase u could easy go in ech effected device and do show ip ospf int x/x

and see the network type :) i think in INE lab u need to strrugle to find it

• Hi everyone,

let me outline the idea of VOL4 worbook once again; i'll post some updates to the website too, to reflect this more clearly. In short, there are two parts:

1) Hard labs 1-5, which make you learn how to use "show" and "debug" commands and avoid peeking at the "show run" output to find the issue. The goal of this section is to get you used to the structured isolation approach. Indeed, the restrictions of these labs are far beyond the real troubleshooting section - but this is how you force yourself to learn :) Notice the practically all tickets in these labs are uniques, and cover all type of issues, starting at L2 and ending at L7 sometimes.

2) "Realistic" labs 6-10, which give you experience similar to the one you find in the real exam. There are no complicated restrictions in these labs, they are rather "time-attack" type. This is where you get just three backbone devices, and the solutions just show you the brief outline of the issue as well as the commands to fix it.

I really believe that simply practicing labs 6-10 might not benefit you too much, as they dont force you to follow the structured approach. This is why we came with the "two-tiers" within the workbook.

HTH,

Petr

PS

looks like my previous email replies did not make it to the forum :(

• Thanks Peter,

I too have a question around the labs- mainly around documentation. In lab 6 ticket 1 we are to find out why a sup-optimal route is being used. Going through sh ip eigrp neigh its obvious we have an issue betwen SW3 and SW4.

Question for me is how given the topology (one L3 drawing and a L2 drawing we do from cdp neigh )do we get to the conclusion that sw3 connects through sw1 , to get to sw4? If I was given the INE L2 connection drawing I can see how I might get it but as we are not given it where does this info come from. Is there some other command that I do not know of?

Showing the ethercahnnel summary only tells me whats in th Po on this side.

Hope you can turn the light on here for me

Thanks

chris