Starting with "R&S Lab Workbook" - basic questions - please help

Hi folks, can someone clarify the below? Thanks.

a) I am starting the "R&S Volume I workbook". I see "R&S Vol. I v5.0 and v4.1" available to me. Should I just pick the latest (v5.0) then? What is the difference between v4.1 and v5.0? I mean, from my observation it seems the v4.1 covers basic steps and v5.0 is based on the "IEWB-RS-VOL-I-V5" full diagram(?)

b) For example, on the first task on "workbook Vol I. v5.0" I see:

"Using the diagram for reference configure access VLAN assignments on 

VLAN SW1, SW2..." 

Then I see the solution for the very first task 1.1 and I do not understand how you determined that

"port f0/1 on SW1 should be assigned to vlan 146" for example. Can you please clarify which table I should use to determine that rationale? From looking at the diagram IEWB-RS-VOL-I-V5" or associated tables it is not clear to me. Obviously I am missing something.

Comments

• The latest is the greatest.  That will keep you up to date with things, especially for the new blueprint.

The books should have physical and logical diagrams associated with them.  In order to pick the specific ports for things, you'll need to reference the physical diagram to find out, for example, that R1's Fa0/0 port is plugged into Fa0/1 of SW1.

Without seeing that, things can become very confusing!  The same holds true for the real lab!  A "logical" diagram is very nice to see for traffic flow.  But until you get a sense of the physical connectivity, there will be many pieces missing.

HTH,

Scott

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Sat, September 26, 2009 21:52
    Subject: [CCIE R&S] Starting with "R&S Lab Workbook" - basic questions - please help

Hi folks, can someone clarify the below? Thanks.

a) I am starting the "R&S Volume I workbook". I see "R&S Vol. I v5.0 and v4.1" available to me. Should I just pick the latest (v5.0) then? What is the difference between v4.1 and v5.0? I mean, from my observation it seems the v4.1 covers basic steps and v5.0 is based on the "IEWB-RS-VOL-I-V5" full diagram(?)

b) For example, on the first task on "workbook Vol I. v5.0" I see:

"Using the diagram for reference configure access VLAN assignments on 

VLAN SW1, SW2..." 

Then I see the solution for the very first task 1.1 and I do not understand how you determined that

"port f0/1 on SW1 should be assigned to vlan 146" for example. Can you please clarify which table I should use to determine that rationale? From looking at the diagram IEWB-RS-VOL-I-V5" or associated tables it is not clear to me. Obviously I am missing something.

--
    View this message online at: http://ieoc.com/forums/p/8423/41877.aspx#41877
    --
    Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
    <!>

• Hi,

As someone who has done Vol.1 v4.1 twice, and Vol.1 v5.0 once (not the QoS section completely), I'd highly recommend going with v5.0 because it is very complete, almost seems too much at time.  The in-depth explanation and verification commands and techniques are very valuable, especially for the Blueprint 4.0's troubleshooting section, where you might not get access to the "show run" command.

In the member section, the same place where you download Vol.1 v5.0, you will find "Physical Wiring Diagrams" and "Logical Topology Diagrams".  To answer your specific question: R1's F0/0 is in VLAN 146 according to the "Logical Topology Diagram" and R1's F0/0 is connected to SW1's F0/1 according to the "Physical Wiring Diagram".  Also do not forget to load the devices with the "Lab Initial Configurations" for the specific technology that you're studying.

HTH,

• That said, should the task 1.1 description be corrected from "exception of R6" to "exception of R3"? Following the table on page 19, Physical Interface Connections document, I see connection from SW1 to R1, R3 and R5. Not to R6. 

Tasks 1.1

"...obtain connectvity between the devices with Ethernet segments with the 

exception of R6".

• From doing the entire exercise Task 1.1, I believe that the task description should be corrected from "exception of R6" to "exception of R3 and R6".

Am I right?

• Hi,

This task is correct.

The reason why R6 is left out is because you will need to configure Router-On-A-Stick in Task 1.7, which will put R6's F0/0.146 and F0/0.67 into VLAN 146 and 67, respectively.

Since the task asks to configure all the switches to obtain basic connectivity, it has nothing to do with R3, especially when R3's F0/0 connection to SW1 is a L3 routed port.

HTH,