HELP!! Can someone please explain this to me......Lab1

Hi,

I am in the middle of doing Volume II Lab 1 and I was doing the section dealing with EIGRP.  I'm not stuck , but I was hoping someone could explain to me what just occured.  In my mind, the impossible just became possible.

I was setting up EIGRP between R2 and SW2.  Everything was going smoothly and both devices formed EIGRP neighbor relationships fine.  I was verifying my configs so I did a "show ip route" command on SW2 and I got a message saying " ICMP redirect cache is not enable'.  As far as I know, that means "ip routing" is not enable on the switch.  I issued a "show run" command and i didn't see the "ip routing" statement that I should see which to me, also confirmed that "ip routing" was not enable.

Afterwards, I issued the "ip routing" command in global config mode and re-issued the "show ip route" command in privilage exec mode.  I got the indication I expected to see which were actual connected routes etc.  So I went back to global config mode and issues "no ip routing" to set things back to the original setting and the EIGRP neighbor relationships went down which is the "normal expected' indication.  My problem is........how did the EIGRP neigbor relationship form in the first place without "ip routing" being enable?????

If anyone can provide me with an explanation I would appreciate it.  As far as I know this is impossible.....but it really just happened.  I'm assuming it could be a glitch, but....I dunno........

Comments

• Here's a exampl of my config

Rack18SW1#show ip route eigrp
    Default gateway is not set

Host               Gateway           Last Use    Total Uses  Interface
    ICMP redirect cache is empty
    Rack18SW1#

Rack18SW1#show ip eigrp neighbors
    EIGRP-IPv4:(100) neighbors for process 100
    H   Address                 Interface       Hold Uptime   SRTT   RTO  Q  Seq
                                                (sec)         (ms)       Cnt Num
    0   183.18.17.1             Fa0/1             12 00:03:35    1   300  0  9

HERE'S IS A PART OF MY RUNNING-CONFIG WITH NO IP ROUTING ENABLED

hostname Rack18SW1
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    enable password cisco
    !
    no aaa new-model
    system mtu routing 1500
    vtp domain CISCO-A
    vtp mode transparent
    ip subnet-zero
    no ip domain-lookup
    !
    !

HERE'S IS PART OF A RUNNING-CONFIG WITH IP ROUTING ENABLED!!

hostname Rack18SW2
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    enable password cisco
    !
    no aaa new-model
    system mtu routing 1500
    vtp domain CISCO-A
    vtp mode transparent
    ip subnet-zero
    ip routing
    no ip domain-lookup

• I am pretty sure that with no ip-routing precofnigured on the router when you began the exersise the router will take all of the config you insert, unlike a switch which will tell you ip routing is not configured. The problem is when you reboot the router I think all of the config goes away. I thinkn you also have issues with frame-relay when ip routing is disabled.

Something I do which doesn't take long is a "show run | include no" on every router before I start the lab.

Regards,

Robert

• I just realized you are on a switch... You might be in a funky SDM mode like "sdm prefer vlan"

• Yes, I am on a switch and that's the weird thing, lol.   The funny thing about it is it happened again when I was doing lab 1 on a different switch.  Does anyone know whether this was a new change in the current IOS versions?  If so, what is the purpose of the change?   On all the switches that i work on at my job, if I try to even config a routing protocol without "ip routing" enabled, it will give me the "ip routing is not enable" message.