CCIE R&S Lab exam prep....

I just gave my Written and am about to start preparing for the lab using INE workbooks/material...

Whats the best way to practise the Vol 1, 2, 3 INE workbooks??? Dynamips is a good tool...but I heard that its doesnt support switching....besides Vol 1 and Vol 2 version 5 workbooks are pretty standardized with the same Physical and Logical topologies...

The other two options would be rack rental and building your own rack...

Guys please share your experiences and let me know how you'll went about doing this....something solution thats optimal and cost-saving...

Comments

• Rack Rentals are the best bet. Though to have a rack at ur disposal gives u time and flexibility for additional practise but if ur focused on just finishing with ur INE Labs, rack rentals are good enough, plus u'll save a lot. i am using rack rentals....owining a full ccie lab is a much costly affair for me. I suggest u take a rack session and see if ur comfortable with it.

HTH

• Rohitek,

Thanks for your advise.I was wanting to start prep with the INE vol 1 version 5 workbook.....the version 5 workbook is very different comapred to the version 4.1 vol 1 workbook....you could do some of the labs in ver 4.1 using Dyanmips....you cant do the same with the version 5 workbook right??? specially when the newer workbooks use the same physical and logical topologies...

• hey, i'm in the same boat. I am using dynamips for the lab. No need for real routers :] I will be using q-in-q tunneling and use a breakout switch to reach my 4 switches. Using the q-in-q tunneling breakout switch method you only need one NIC on your computer instead of 12 or the usb-to-ethernet converters. Also for access I have a quad core workstation which I installed GotomyPC on so I can access my lab from anywhere, anytime. There are several people running their CCIE labs this way. Check it out at:

http://7200emu.hacki.at/viewtopic.php?t=7540

• I belive the best bet would be to go for rack rentals...for vol 1,2 and 3 labs...becoz...vol 1 ver 5 workbook is desigend along the same lines as vol 2 workbook...and needs some switching features/switches to operate for most of the labs especially when the physical and logical topology for both the vol 1 and vol 2 labs is the same....

Previously with ver 4.1 vol 1 workbook....most of the labs were switch independant or didnt use much of the swicthing features...unlike ver 5, where you need to load initial configs for SW1-SW4 , R1-R6 nd BB1-BB3...etc for practically all the labs...

I hope I am right on this.....if I am wroong please provide suggestions....