negotiated trunks in inital config?

All, I wanted to know what is the philosophy about working practice labs, mock labs, and even the real lab when you run into negotiated (n-isl or n-dot1q) trunks as a initial configuration. Should we start out with shutting all trunk links down until told otherwise and admin those interfaces up when needed? If we see where a negotiated trunk link is already up should we leave it alone and just make note that we already have a trunk link between two or more switches? Knowing the 3550 defaults to dynamic desirable, and the 3560 defaults to dynamic auto what should be our approach when we first start out with inital configuration and we notice that we already have a negotiated trunk link already trunking for us. Please let me know...thanks!

-Darrell

Comments

• You should read your brigding and switching section to understand what cisco wants you to do. In some cases they can ask you to shutdown unused links but they may not. 

Assuming you are taking new version of the test, there should be all 3560 switches (please correct me if i am wrong) and 3560 switches by default have negotiation set to auto (so you wont have to worry about that).  In simple words, do what they tell you and nothing more. If you shutdown tend to shutdown interfaces then read Do's and Dont's to make sure there is no statmement like "do not alter initial configuration unless otherwise specified).  If you are not told to shutdown and you are then you wil lbe violating this rule.

All, I wanted to know what is the philosophy about working practice labs, mock labs, and even the real lab when you run into negotiated (n-isl or n-dot1q) trunks as a initial configuration. Should we start out with shutting all trunk links down until told otherwise and admin those interfaces up when needed? If we see where a negotiated trunk link is already up should we leave it alone and just make note that we already have a trunk link between two or more switches? Knowing the 3550 defaults to dynamic desirable, and the 3560 defaults to dynamic auto what should be our approach when we first start out with inital configuration and we notice that we already have a negotiated trunk link already trunking for us. Please let me know...thanks!

-Darrell