Voice Workbook I : MGCP & R1 gateway registration ?

Hi,

When you issue a "show diag" on R1 router, the hardware is "Cisco 3725" and not "Cisco 2811" as are R2 and R3. In CUCM Section of "Voice Workbook I", INE provides solution using 2811 platform... why ?

I have a big issue with MGCP registration since one week : everthing is OK on R1 router ("show isdn status" -> OK / "show isdn service" -> OK / "show ccm-manager" -> OK), but in CUCM, the endpoint stay always "Unregistered" and I can't place any call). I did too "no mgcp / mgcp" after reseting the endpoint in CUCM, no success.

I would like to know if it has something to do with the hardware platform question above ? Any idea ?

Thanks,

SB.

Comments

• Hello SB,

The workbook has been updated to reflect the platform change. This could have in fact caused your issue, however it could also be something else as the parameters used by the CUCM system for the two platforms are similar.

Ensure that the call-agent under your MGCP configuration is set to the right IP address of the Subscriber (177.1.10.20) and the redundant-host is set under your ccm-manager config to point to the Publisher. Also, ensure that the controller, serial interface and voice-port are all up. 

Finally, ensure that layer 3 traffic has been bound to the serial interface (bind-l3 ccm-manager)

Let us know if you are still having issues.

Thanks

• Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply.

As I wrote above, all verification tasks were OK on R1 gateway using various "show" commands - as recommanded in workbook, that's why I don't understand the issue.

Please note that when I list the gateways in CUCM, the endpoint is shown as "Unregistered" but its IP adress is correct in the last column. Why ?

Thanks,

SB.

• If all of the Router configuration is correct and working, then there are two possibilities. One is the platform type, and the other may simply require a reload of the router. While regisration issues can typically be fixed with tearing down the MGCP process, and re-enabling it, sometimes a reload is necessary. Try next time with the platform set to 3725, and let us know you still experience an issue.

Thank You

• Hi Josh,

Thanks again for your quick answer.

I issued commands "no mgcp" & "mgcp" each time I reset the endpoints without success, but I didn't try to reload the router (as I hope it works better than an Windows workstation :-).

Concerning changing the platform, I tried but I couldn't find - in the choices that proposed me the CUCM GUI - the correct motherboard and daughter-card I had when issueing "show diag". You can try on a voice rack at INE.

Best regards,

SB.

• SB,

The motherboard you will select is AIM-VOICE-30-SLOT-0, then select the Subunit 0 of VWIC-2MFT-T1. The workbook has been updated to reflect this.

Thank You

• Hi Josh,

Yes, I tried this yesterday during my last session on vorack2 : if I remember well :-, after selecting AIM-VOICE-30-SLOT-0 motherboard, CUCM7 didn't propose me the VWIC-2MFT-T1 card (but plenty others).

Thanks,

SB.

• Hello SB,

I can have vorack2 tested to confirm that everything is fine, but it certainly should be, and I just tested this on another voice rack as well.

Thank You

• Hi Josh,

That's why I wrote "if I remember well :-," . If it works on another rack, it should be fine on vorack2 too, isn't it ;-?

But can you check if you can register correctly register the endpoint in CUCM while still using the 2811 platform, as workbook noticed before you made it update.

Thanks again,

SB.