4.4: eigrp router-id

The solution guide mentioned having router-ids configured as well.

Is this a best practice approach and is it something that needs to be taken into accound when enabling eigrp across several interfaces?

thanks!

Comments

• It is a good practice to know what is your router-id but for eigrp it doesnt play a big role when comparing to BGP/OSPF.  I got into habbit of hard-coding my router-id on EIGRP, OSPF and BGP for the cimple fact that i havent seen a requirment that tells you NOT TO configure it but iif you dont cofnigure it then you might have potential issues with BGP/OSPF when router-id must match for the router to be used by BGP. Again, this is personal preference some people will tell you that if you are not asked to do so, then dont do it.

The solution guide mentioned having router-ids configured as well.

Is this a best practice approach and is it something that needs to be taken into accound when enabling eigrp across several interfaces?

thanks!

• thanks!

Looking at the EIGRP Vol 1 Labs. (Section5.30) It does mention using router-id as a loop prevention mechanism when doing redistribution.

• Yep, the EIGRP router ID is used as a loop prevention mechanism for external EIGRP routes.