2)under int config mode

ip hold-time eigrp xx xxx

Comments

• wt i understand abt these two timers is

1) Hold the route for x amount of time.

2) this timer is specific for the the nei attach to that interface

Experts Plz correct me if i am rong :P

• Hi,

The ip hold-time eigrp command specify the time that the EIGRP process will wait for a hello packet from a neighbor before considering it unavailable.

The timers nsf route-hold command determines how long the current router(NSF router) will hold routes for a dead neighbor. The nsf timer will start after the hold timer expired.

The route-hold timer command is useful when doing a switchover operation or having a well-known failure condition.

Regards,

Mohamed.

• This is a common (very very common) area of confusion, I have seen the question come up several times but have yet to see a good answer.

Typically folks say they are the same thing but they can't be the same thing as the defaults are different.  (The default value for the route-hold timer is 240 seconds while the default for the hold time is typically three times the hello interval, by default, 15 seconds and 180 seconds.)

So here is how I resolved it in my mind (right or wrong)

The amount of time that a router will consider a neighbor alive without receiving a hello packet is the hold time and can be adjusted with the "ip hold-time eigrp" command interface command and verified with the "show ip eigrp neighbor" command

"Timers nsf route-hold" is not referring to a neighbor but instead a neighbor's routes. (I take this to mean once a neighbor router goes down how long will a router hold on to the routes that is keep them in the eigrp database and if being used in the RIB)  This route hold time can be verified with the "show ip protocols" command