Done with WorkbookI, how to proceed?

I am, after approximately a month and a half studies done with IE SPWP1 . I went it through quite in detail trying to understand technologies behind each solution. I felt quite comfortable actually, managed to solve most of the exercises without having to look help from solutions/google.

I have scheduled my lab for beginning of October and will have a 5-days bootcamp right before the lab. Now I'm wondering how to proceed? I'm having my bootcamp hosted by iementor and I received their workbook which contains similar kind of small exercises and then few full-scale labs. Should I already proceed practicing with full 8-hour labs or still hang around with exercises, trying to get in-depth understanding of technologies etc? I'm afraid that I may actually have too much time for my lab :) Meaning that I may run out of material. Of course repetition is a mother of success, but still .

Comments?

Comments

• Go through all the labs.  Both vendors.  Then, start thinking about "what if" things.  Start expanding the labs on your own.  What if they said this in the requirement?  What if I had to add more sites?  More external ASN's added.  CoC on top of MPLS VPN's across carriers?

Add to the complications.  We can only make things so difficult before people start crying foul!  But you can inflict extra pain on yourself.  :)

That'll get things to be able to think them through.  Beyond that though, as you say, repetition is the best.  And having multiple vendor's views will definitely give you extra perspective.

Cheers,

Scott

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Sat, March 28, 2009 13:36
    Subject: [CCIE SP General] Done with WorkbookI, how to proceed?

I am, after approximately a month and a half studies done with IE SPWP1 . I went it through quite in detail trying to understand technologies behind each solution. I felt quite comfortable actually, managed to solve most of the exercises without having to look help from solutions/google.

I have scheduled my lab for beginning of October and will have a 5-days bootcamp right before the lab. Now I'm wondering how to proceed? I'm having my bootcamp hosted by iementor and I received their workbook which contains similar kind of small exercises and then few full-scale labs. Should I already proceed practicing with full 8-hour labs or still hang around with exercises, trying to get in-depth understanding of technologies etc? I'm afraid that I may actually have too much time for my lab :) Meaning that I may run out of material. Of course repetition is a mother of success, but still .

Comments?

--
    View this message online at: http://ieoc.com/forums/p/5803/19844.aspx#19844
    --
    Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
    <!>

• One thing you must go over is the CCO Config Guides that you have access to in the lab! Make sure you know where everything is, even if you feel confident enough without looking at it, it may come in handy if nerves take over and you forget stuff! :)

• One thing you must go over is the CCO Config Guides that you have access to in the lab! Make sure you know where everything is, even if you feel confident enough without looking at it, it may come in handy if nerves take over and you forget stuff! :)

You're absolutely right. Actually that is on my list to-be-done later. I think I'll try to memorize CCO by heart maybe on July/August. For now I'll concentrate on technical parts. Anyway my plan is to "do the hard part" now during next 2-3 months and then "easy up a bit"; read some background material, get familiar with CCO, read some experiences/advices etc. and then do the final technical scrunching on the bootcamp .

• i've also finished vol 1, started vol 2 (made 2 labs). My lab is also in October. I think we just need to make vol 2 all 10 labs,the go through it, then we need to adjust to CCO config guides... also we need to focus on small topics that are not in workbooks,but are in blueprint.

• I would start VOL2 as soon as possible. VOL1 is very easy compared with VOL2. If you run out of material, you have these 200 free mini-scenarios:

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/amsoares/dynamips/dynamips.htm

You'll have L2VPNs, a topic that is not covered by VOL1 or VOL2.

By the way, what is the version of the ieMentor WB you received ? I own version 1.2a but i can tell you i'm not very satisfied with it. In the other hand, i've heard that their bootcamp is very good.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S)
    [email protected]

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (RS/SP/DC)
    [email protected]
    http://www.ccie18473.net

• By the way, what is the version of the ieMentor WB you received ? I own version 1.2a but i can tell you i'm not very satisfied with it. In the other hand, i've heard that their bootcamp is very good.

I've got 1.2a too. They're working on 2.0, but it's not yet out. By quick glance the workbook looks quite demanding at least.

And yes, I've heard their bootcamps are of the best around. They have that crazy Roman Rodichev as a instructor, guy who did all 5 CCIEs in like 2-3 years :)

• L2 vpn will be 100 percent. i can assure u.. L2 VPN interworking..

regarding ieMentor don't know (i use 1.1 version,just read through it).

CCbootcamp is good. It helped me a lot for RnS (last 2 weeks before lab). Really helpfull.

• L2 vpn will be 100 percent. i can assure u.. L2 VPN interworking..

Well, I've designed distributed DC VPLS for large-scale service provider so and that's basically on my responsibility to manage, so that shouldn't be a problem :) I'm more worried about security questions, don't feel too comfortable with them. And MPLS TE with all of its' wiles and details worries me also a bit.

• By the way, what is the version of the ieMentor WB you received ? I own version 1.2a but i can tell you i'm not very satisfied with it. In the other hand, i've heard that their bootcamp is very good.

Jeez, I just started going through ieMentor WP and you are really right. Assignments are REALLY unclear, as an example :

"Configure CE1 to advertise all interfaces as static"

=

Configure CE1 with static default route, wtf?????

and "Configure CE2 to advertise all interface in to AS2" means that you'll have to advertise connected interface into BGP, but it doesn't talk anything about BGP in assigment...

Well, model answers seem to be pretty clear though. Let's hope it becomes more clear when I proceed.