Dynamips for SP

Hi all,

For R&S I assembled a lab which consisted of Dynamips on a Mac Mini for all of the routers and then physical CAT-3560-8PC switches.  This worked out wonderfully.  So wonderfully, in fact, I was very reluctant to reconfigure it all for SP; I've grown too used to the topology and use it often to test various concepts or attempt to resolve problems (etc).  I elected to go full Dynamips within the Mini for SP so that I wouldn't have to touch my switches.  Thus far, I'm better than half way through Vol I and the VoD.  On more than one occasion I've lost valuable study time chasing connectivity problems that sprang up during a lab that ultimately were solved by simply rebooting some device.  More often than not, it's turning out to be R7/SW1 or R8/SW2.  This is leading me to believe that I have about $4k in switching hardware sitting in my lab that is going to waste.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  Should I bite the bullet and reconfigure my entire lab - even if only temporarily - to support physical switches for greater stability and possibly even enhanced functionality?  Or have I just had a bad spell of luck starting out and all will be well with Dynamips (or at least Dynamips won't be any better with the physical switches for Ethernet connectivity)?

Thanks much,

Scott

Comments

• I would say that dynamips is better than any rack rental available in the martket ....atleast from the well know vendors....i have tested dynamips for almost every feature .....besides few, everything works......recently i tested the ATM cell mode switching....i works too.....

U can configure L2VPNS easily on dynamips....try configuring any to any internetworking in any of the well known vendors rack....as far as i know its not supported .....but yes u can do this with dynamips.......

just my few cents:)

• nomykhan,

Can you send me a copy of your dynagen .net file? I want to know how you got cell mode switching to work?

• Here u go boss…..

This is a sample file I made just to check cell mode switching….

autostart = false

[localhost]

[[7200]]

image = C:Program FilesDynamipsimagesATM.bin

idlepc =  0x6066b6c8

npe = npe-400

ram = 160

midplane = vxr

workingdir = C:Program FilesDynamipssample_labsinternetworkexpertSP

[[ROUTER R1]]

console=5001

slot0 = PA-C7200-IO-FE # Ethernet in slot 0

slot1 = PA-A1

slot3 = PA-4T # PA-4T+ in slot 2

slot4 = PA-POS-OC3 # PA-POS-OC3 in slot 4

f0/0 = S1 1

s3/0 = R2 s3/0

s3/1 = R3 s3/0

s3/2 = F1 1

A1/0 = A1 1

[[router R2]]

console=5002

slot1 = PA-A1

f0/0 = S1 2

s3/2 = F1 2

s3/1 = R3 s3/1

A1/0 = A1 2

[[router R3]]

console=5003

slot1 = PA-A1

f0/0 = S1 3

s3/2 = F1 3

[[router R4]]

console=5004

slot0 = PA-C7200-IO-FE

slot1 = PA-A1

slot3 = PA-4T

slot4 = PA-POS-OC3

f0/0 = S1 4

A1/0 = A1 3

[[FRSW F1]]

1:102 = 2:201

1:103 = 3:301

2:203 = 3:302

[[ETHSW S1]]

1 = access 1

2 = access 2

3 = dot1q 3

4 = access 4

[[ATMSW A1]]

1:10:200 = 2:20:100 # Port 1, vpi 10, vci 200 to port 2, vpi 20, vci 100

3:300 = 2:400

On Behalf Of
    farisb

Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:01 PM

To: Nouman Khan

Subject: Re: [CCIE SP General] Dynamips for SP

nomykhan,

Can you send me a copy of your dynagen .net file? I want to know how you got cell mode switching to work?

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

Disclaimer: The information in this email and in any files transmitted with it is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.
    If you receive this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is strictly
    prohibited. Statement and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of MIS.

• image = C:Program FilesDynamipsimagesATM.bin

It took me several hours in the Internet, to find out that the only public source to get that ATM.bin is through the 23GB monster, a lot waste of Internet bandwidth IMHO.

• Why would you need something called ATM.bin? As you can see from the .net file all declarations are related to 7200 routers, which means more less that "magic" ATM.bin is actually IOS for 7200 ;) Even uncompressed IOS 7200 image should be not bigger than a 100-200MB.

I used dynamips for 90% of my SP preparations, other 10% real routers/switches (work + remote labs). Cell mode on dynamips is not a problem; I used 7200 as my ATM switch. My ATM Switch was based on InternetworkExpert's dynamips file (http://www.internetworkexpert.com/downloads/internetwork.expert.topologies.zip) with some updates to integrate it with my own topology.

Cheers,

Seba

• I know the bin file has been renamed.  I am referring to the IOS files used by the SP workbooks.  Of course, you will not need to use the 23GB Monster if you have access to the Cisco IOS download site.

• Hi,

Which ios image for 3745 series cisco router supports pppoe,l2tp,ipsec.

I am using gns3. Can i get the .net file with configuration

Regds,

Shekar.B