Task 4.4 - Why do I need to do virtual-link to R5 and not direct to R1 from R2

Hey guys, why do I need to do virtual-link from R2 to R5 and R5 to R1 and R2 and then R2 do R5 and not direct from R2 to R1 ??

Márcio

Comments

• There is no need to configure virtual links between R2 and R5, and R5 and R1. We can just create a virtual link between the two ABRs  R1 and R2.

Regrads,

Mohamed.

Your Place For Cisco Networking

• A virtual-link from R1 to R5 is required when a loopback is created in task 4.7 - R5 must have area 0 (supplied by the virtual-link) to support the loopback in area 765.

Remember to read through all of the tasks to find requirements that may restrict your choice for earlier tasks.

• I agree that we need virtual link between R1 and R5 because of R5 loopback in area 765.

My question is why we need Virtual Link between R5 and R2 and NOT between R1 and R2

Thanks

• I agree that we need virtual link between R1 and R5 because of R5 loopback in area 765.

My question is why we need Virtual Link between R5 and R2 and NOT between R1 and R2

Thanks

I think that the answer for your question is definitely clear.

If you establish Virtual-Link between R1 and R5, and between R1 and R2, the traffic need to traverse as follows:

Virtual-Link between R1 & R5: R1-R5

Virtual-Link between R1 & R2: R1-R5-R2

Why doesn't create Virtual-Link between R1 and R5, R2 and R5, the traffic will be optimized (R1 or R2 doesn't need to send two copies of the same routing update information out of its interface towards R5)

• I used IPIP tun via area 125 and area 12.... just as alternative ...

kr

Josua