Section 7.2 NBAR bug?

Hi,

Second time through this lab and I've come across a problem I dont remember getting first time around.

Creating a custom NBAR protocol for the marking and the router will not accept it:

Config on R4:

ip nbar custom r8 udp range 65001 65002

class-map match-all R8

SPRack1R4(config-cmap)#match protocol r8

% Incomplete command.

I can see the protocol in the NBAR mapping but the router just wont let me match it - any ideas whats going on here?

SPRack1R4(config-cmap)#match protocol r8 ?

% Unrecognized command

There isnt any option after that it wants.

R4 is running 12.3(14)T7 on Dynamips.

Any one else had this?

Comments

• Hi,

I have not run into this problem in the labs, but have always used a different naming convention.  However, I just tested it with your naming convention and got similar results. 

ip nbar custom TEST udp 65001 65002
    ip nbar custom r8 udp 65003 65004

class-map match-all TEST
     match protocol TEST

r3(config-cmap)#match protocol ?
      TEST             User defined Protocol TEST
      aarp              AppleTalk ARP
      appletalk       AppleTalk
      arp               IP ARP
    [...]

You can see the r8 custom protocol doesnt even show up even though it is in the config...

I am running a 3640 with 12.3(14)T7 for R4.  I also tried the command with and without the range command and got the same exact results.  If I use another name it is there and works just fine, so I would have to assume with your naming convention for your custom protocol you have found another great IOS feature! ;).  BTW, I also tested this on a 3845 with 12.4(19b) code and got the same exact results as with the 3640.  Both were on actual gear and not Dynamips.

HTH,

Jeff

• Thanks Jeff

I did go and try this using a longer custom name and lo and behold - it works as you stated!

Good old IOS - at least I hit this prob now and not in Brussels :-)

• Minimum length for protocol name in 12.4 is 4 characters. Try a longer name and it will work.

In IOS 12.4 it will display an error message but in 12.3 it doesn't.

Rack12R5(config)#ip nbar custom r8 udp range 65001 65002
    % NBAR ERROR: Name is shorter than minimum of 4 characters
    Rack12R5(config)#