question on SW1 - Fa0/21 (Workbook III-Lab1)

I am running into a problem when I verify layer 2 basic connectivity, wondering if someone having similar problem?

The Fa0/21 is apparently a routed interface on the original config but it is at down/down state. I verify all the trunk and etherchannel, spanning tree,

looks working, but it is unable ping to R5 - 140.x.57.5. I created a "test" vlan interface 140.x.57.y on SW1 and shutdown the fa0/21 port and

it can reach R5 ok.

Is there something missing here??

Comments

• What device and interface does SW1 F0/21 physically connect to?

• I was wondering about this and sent a note to the quality guys to check for errors. I have not heard back since.

This issue has also been pointed out in the forum as well

http://ieoc.com/forums/t/3951.aspx

• What I was getting at is that SW1 F0/21 connects to SW4 F0/15. SW4 F0/15 will need to be in the same VLAN as the interface connected to R5 F0/1.

• sounds like a similar issue i was facing with lab 2 last night then.  (i.e layer 2 path)

• ok ... SW4 fa0/15 probably was at shutdown state since SW1 fa0/21 was down/down. This seems not part of the troubleshooting session at the beginning of the lab..

• I would consider this to be part of configuring the vlans correctly - see Task 2.1.

• hah. Yeah, turning up interfaces isn't exactly "troubleshooting"... its more common sense.

• started fixing this at the start of the LAB as I thought it was one of the initial faults :)

• I thaught that was a fult too, or the ether channels... It started this lab like a pain.