RIPv2 Doesn't support CIDR or supernet?

Dear IE Team,

Yesterday I was testing one RIP scenario using RIPv2 with no auto-summary keyword. But still my scenario was not working. I tried everything I know. As far I know RIPv2 support CIDR and supernet. But still both Routers were not exchanging RIP routes. Finally I fixed this issue by changing encapsulation on serial interfaces on both routers and set it as PPP. Even if I use EIGRP in the scenario it works fine without changing encapsulation. Can you please help finding the reason why RIPv2 didn’t work in this scenario?

Scenario:  R1 is connected to R2 through back to back serial interface. R1's f0/0 - 192.168.0.1/23, R1's Serial0/0 - 192.168.4.1/23, R2's Serial 0/0 -192.168.4.2/23, R2's F0/0 - 192.168.2.1/23

Best Regards,
Deepak Arora

Comments

• Hello

rip doesnot support supernetting..

• The "ip summary-address rip" interface command supports summarization only up to the class-ful network boundaries.

If you had 10.1.2.0/24 you could summarize this to any summary from /8 to /23, but a /7 summary would not work.

EIGRP does permit supernet summaries, including 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to provide a default route for the neighbor on the interface the summary is configured on.

• I'm not sure if this was mentioned in the thread before, since I can only see the latest post via email, but the only way to circumvent this with rip is to re-originate a new prefix for the shorter match. 

For example if you want to advertise 10.0.0.0/7 into ripv2, you can't do a summary address, but you could do a static null route for the prefix and then redistibute static. 

HTH,

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/Security)

Internetwork Expert, Inc.

On Jan 24, 2009, at 5:19 PM, DarrellEscola <[email protected]> wrote:

The "ip summary-address rip" interface command supports summarization only up to the class-ful network boundaries.

If you had 10.1.2.0/24 you could summarize this to any summary from /8 to /23, but a /7 summary would not work.

EIGRP does permit supernet summaries, including 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to provide a default route for the neighbor on the interface the summary is configured on.

Internetwork Expert - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.internetworkexpert.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • But still this redistributing static is a work around.

The RIP architecture doesnot support CIDR or suppernetting...But still we can do what the question is asking if static route's are permited.

Dude u ppl make me think again and again....[6]