Sao Paulo Lab.

Is it true that the testing location at Sao Paulo has remote racks that are in RTP? meaning that you are accessing a console in a remote rack.

I heard that it is not as fast as other testing labs and that may be an issue.

Please can somebody tell his/her experience about that.

Thanks

Comments

• Back in 2000, it was not a remote lab.  We had to cable the routers back then.  Although, it could have changed when they started cabling routers for the candidates.

• Is it true that the testing location at Sao Paulo has remote racks that are in RTP? meaning that you are accessing a console in a remote rack.

I heard that it is not as fast as other testing labs and that may be an issue.

Please can somebody tell his/her experience about that.

Thanks

I don't now anything about Sao Paulo Location, and i think i'll schedule an attempt in October since i have a week of Mobile Lab. This is in Cisco Sao Paulo office or something like that?

• This is in Cisco's office near to the Pinheiros river.

I've scheduled my lab for October 1st in São Paulo.

If you have ever been to those offices, generally applicants stay on those glass rooms in the middle of the floor where anybody can see you like a fish in a fishtank. :)

Racks most probably are remote, I am not 100% sure about that. I've been told that you will have a single laptop and paper, and I hope, noise blockers. Overall reviews given to me say it wasn't the best place among all others. I was told cisco doc access isn't very fast either. Proctor by one report I was given was not a portuguese speaker. Not a problem for me, but I'd say a little more love with São Paulo would be welcome.

Yet, if you wonder why I'll do there anyway - it's my first lab, I would say my chances are very low anyway. Costs for a trip to RTP or any other lab are high, so I'm planning on saving costs for the first lunch. I'm not expecting a great lunch anyway. At least their coffee area is well stocked.

Marcos

• Thanks for your short answer Marcos :)

It's my first attempt too, but i'm with the self spirit that i can pass at 1st attempt (to have a niiiice lunch jajaja). I'm pretty close of Brazil (Chile) so i don't speak portuguese ether :).

Passing this test may open lot's of oportunities at my work (they pay the lunch xD) so i'll be here constantly as i get deep in my lab progress.

Regards

Gonzalo

• You are welcome!

I would strongly suggest a hotel within walking distance from Cisco. There are many good options, just check Google Maps + Tripadvisor for good reviews. Do not choose a hotel that is too far that you have to take bus/cab. That region has horrible traffic and you may end up stuck on the worst traffic jam that exists in Brazil. ;)

As for eating on the night before/on the night after, there are many good restaurants around. Let me know if you will take the lab on that week of october.

I'll probably arrive on the night before, sleep in a hotel and leave late in the night after the exam.

• Hi Marcos,

I have booked my lunch on October 3th... i'm planning to take the shot to travel with my family :).

I have a "administrative" question... what kind of keyboard distribution should i use in the lab? English, Latinoamérica, Portuguese? (exists?)

Best regards,

Gonzalo

• Oh, it seems we will miss each other by a day. I'll probably return to my city on the night of October 1st, there are many interstadual buses from São Paulo to Curitiba and they're relatively cheap compared to air tickets.

As for the keyboard. That's gonna be a challenge, eh... I can certainly report that after my lab, after all that's completely non NDA. :)

On the other hand, I can say there will be two possible layouts - US International, standard PC or, which I wouldn't like myself, Brazilian ABNT2.

It's a layout which has the ç key after the l key. I use a Mac so I'm very used to the standard US international keyboard. I will have my own fight with the control and alt keys already...

I don't know the spanish layout (I didn't even know one exists), but since BR ABNT2 keyboards are everywhere in Brazil and it's very difficult to find US Intl keyboards, I'd bet on a BR ABNT2 keyboard.

I was told we are given a laptop instead of a desktop, so it may be even worse - a laptop keyboard without keypad and Brazilian ABNT2 layout. 

Well, I may be sounding a bit pessimistic, but in truth I don't care much about keyboards, many times I visit customers which have their own network station with the craziest keyboard layouts (like japanese and french azerty). But I know this is a issue for many people and I wouldn't like it bothering me on the lab day nonetheless.

(img randomly searched on google)

• Thanks again Marcos,

This is the address? 

Av. das Nacoes Unidas, 12901, 25th Floor, Brooklin Novo, Sao Paulo, CEP 04578-903, Brazil

I have an aunt in Sao Paulo, luckly haha. I'm going to search for a Hotel to stay a few days before and after. My plan is celebrate mi triumph with Caipirinhas, and if i fail... i'll try to forget with caipirinhas jhahahaha. I plan to travel on October 1st so maybe we'll catch up there

Best regards,

Gonzalo

• I think the keyboard is US International, standard PC

• Okay, first things first.

No pass, but that's ok, I am quite happy with my TS section, a bit disappointed with my config section, but that's part of the process.

Now - for the Lab experience.

I arrived 8am, but the front desk didn't allow me to go up until 8:30.

We were directed to the coffee area, 5 candidates - 1 from Chile (I initially thought it could be you, gdiaz), 1 from Venezuela and the rest of us from Brazil.

The proctor is from Dubai, but I will try not to offend him and I won't try to write his name, because I still don't know how to spell (sorry if you read this somehow, my friend proctor). He checked our IDs and directed us to a big oval room with a long line of desks with monitors arranged evenly (ie 1 facing window, 1 facing wall, 1 facing window, and so on). Proctor asked us to leave our stuff in the chairs by the wall and wrote on a whiteboard the start time (9am), lunch break (1pm-1:30pm) and end time (5:30pm), lunch would be chicken sandwichs (which turned out to be from chicken breast 15cm sandwichs Subway franchise). He then asked if any of us had questions. I asked for which bathroom we were allowed to use (the one after the cafeteria) and if there was ear plugs available (no, but he allowed me to use mine). I also asked to leave a bottle of water by the desk, he asked only to keep it capped to avoid accidents.

Exam starts and after a few minutes one of the candidates trip accidentally on the exposed power cabling under the desks and shuts down his own monitor. He is reassigned to another desktop where after a couple hours he accidentally kicks the power cabling again and shuts down my monitor.

It is very obvious now that the power cabling was (pardon my french) la merde. The power strips were bad quality and obviously it was not the other guy fault. We got 10min from the proctor as compensation, but well, I dunno if it's the same. My monitor was horribly setup - with brightness too high. When I was reassigned to a new desktop the monitor was properly setup, much better in the end (:

Now, since I began ranting. The keyboard, oh man, that was almost driving me nuts. The keyboard was physically a brazilian ABNT keyboard, the one that has the ç key after the l key, with the big ISO enter key. I am very much used to a ANSI keyboard, where the enter key is smaller and there is the | key above it, so I was mistyping 'sh run <ENTER>' all the time instead of 'sh run | sec whatever'. It was frustrating but not enough to lose my focus, I simply soaked the frustration and moved on.

But I am not done ranting about the keyboard - although the layout is Brazilian ABNT, it was setup like an US-Intl keyboard, that means that some keys were misplaced. Where the ç key is is where you will find the :, the question mark is where the ; is. So remember to test the keyboard on the notepad to make sure you know where all keys are. They are quite noisy also (aye, now I am done ranting about keyboard).

The room was a bit cold, so get some coat to keep you warm. Buy yourself some snack, I should have bought, just to keep me munching something. I missed my mug of coffee, although there was coffee by the cafeteria (no sodas, no fruits, nothing besides coffee).

And I gotta tell you, bring ear plugs. The guy next to me was FURIOUSLY hitting the keyboard. I had no right to bother him, so I am glad I had the plugs, but I doubt it would be a good idea to ask a CCIE candidate to type anyway different.

• Hi

I have never answer this post... I also failed my first attempt and now i'm going for the second one on Miami ... maybe you're going to have news about me 

Regards

Gonzalo

• As of my attempt last week, the keyboard was a standard Dell US Intl keyboard.

Screen was a 20"-ish 1080p resolution, but the VM did not support that resolution. The display properties control panel was available and it was possible to change the resolution to a better one (720p) which was marginally better than the original one (I believe it was 1024x768, severely annoying). Control panel also allowed to enable anti-alias which improved reading quality.

I didn't look for display physical buttons, but the glare was really annoying, but I was quite nervous and pretended it didn't bother me.

Mouse was low-quality but functional.

Lunch was a 30cm Subway Teriyaki Chicken and a coke can. There was no options neither it was asked if there was any dietary restrictions.

I brought a gatorade, cereal bars, peanuts and ear plugs. The ear plugs are a must.

During the exam we had the unfortunate event that the building entered fire alarm and procedure simulation. We did not have to leave the building (thus we failed the simulation too, I guess). The alarm went on for full 30 minutes, if I was not wearing ear plugs I would go crazy. 

Other guy in the room also brought his own ear plugs.

Proctor, Mr. Nagaraja, a very friendly fellow, his 4th time in Brazil. He allowed the other guy to leave the building for a cigarrete, discounted from the 30 minutes of lunch time we were given.

The experience was much better than the previous one, except of course, of the fire alarm, which scared the schtako out of me.