TASK 3.7 - Missing ip rip summary address in the SG

Task 3.7 had asked for R4 to advertise minimum amount of network necessary for BB2 to obtain full reachability to all routes within the internal network.

There is no summary address configured in the SG under this task.

Comments

• Check the debug dislpay: in the SG verification it highlights a /16 route for 150.1.0.0 and 158.1.0.0.  The SG solution for this was to not configure no-autosummary and let RIP do it's legacy classful thing.  The other two options would be to either interface level ip summarize the /16s or go more narrorw with larger masks.  I did the /16 with a not to come back at the end of the lab and calc the larger mask.  The question is "minimum" amount of networks necessary.  In real life, I have a block of addresses reserverd for a certain site or group of sites and would summarize that whole block so that when I add futer subnets, I don't have to keep changing the summary.  But would /16 earn the points as well here or should we do the "minimum"?

• Well...it didn't earn points for me. I lost these points due to /16 masks being not specific enough, although using auto-summary as per SG gives the same result?? On the other hand, if the /16 would be acceptable, longer mask shouldn't cost you the points.

Anyway, as you go through the workbook labs, you'll see that sometimes, SG uses /16 and I think only on a couple of occasions they use longer masks...

M

• Task did not say "be as specific as possible" so if you started summarizing instead of just doing auto-summary, you were overthinking the tast. Clearly the SG is wrong.

• Task 3.7 asks to advertise the MINIMUM amount of networks to BB2. If there are multiple solutions, you should always choose one that best suits the task's requirements. The /16 prefix consists of 256 class C networks, while the /20 prefix includes only 4 class C networks. Technically, all your internal networks (both 158 and 150) could be aggregated using just one ip summary-address rip 144.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 command (or even the default route). But definitely it's not the best solution for this task, because too many unnecessary networks would be advertised to BB2.

The correct solution for this task should be:
    R4:
    interface FastEthernet0/0
     ip summary-address rip 150.19.0.0 255.255.128.0
     ip summary-address rip 158.19.0.0 255.255.240.0

• I guess the argument here is that SG is NOT what you are providing here as the correct solution.  Sad to see that this type of errors in SG are STILL not fixed after many posts on it ....

and yes i lost my points here by not been as specific as possible .... but SG and SG Walkthrough (from my bootcamp that i have attended) both advertise /16 networks ... [*-)]

The correct solution for this task should be:
    R4:
    interface FastEthernet0/0
     ip summary-address rip 150.19.0.0 255.255.128.0
     ip summary-address rip 158.19.0.0 255.255.240.0
  • So sorry nydimka23!

We are now in the process of converting everything over to CCIE Version 4 materials...so I think this might have been put off till then.

Again - so sorry you experienced this error.