IEWB Workbook v4.1 practice with Dynamips and 4 real Catalyst 3560 switches

Dear All,

i am planning to start my labs practice with the IEWB Workbook V4.1.

I have already 4 Catalyst 3560 switches and 2 Cisco 2811 routers and planning to use dynamips for the rest.

Would it be possible to fully test the workbook labs with these material? What will i need to make it happen and minimize rack rental?

does anybody have a dynamips config prepared for such a scenario?

your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ninja911

Comments

• hi ninja,

This works perfectly. I have the following setup: 2x 3560 and 2x 3750, and one 'breakout' switch connecting to the server running dynamips with a 802.1q trunk carrying all the uplinks (about 12 vlans) (one physical link) so no expensive quad cards are needed in the server. The 'other' side of the vlan's created on this breakout switch are connected untagged to the real switches. Dynamips binds to the dot1q interfaces to get a connection with the several switches.

The dynamips config for this is:

e0/0 = nio_linux_eth:eth1.502
            e0/1 = nio_linux_eth:eth1.508

I would recommend running linux for this type of setup. I am using full labs (all routers running and all protocols working and doing their thing) on a 4G RAM Dual core 2.4Ghz box running debian.

You will have to alter the initial configurations before things work, but thats not a lot of work. It takes some time though, also take some time to build this setup and make some drawings of it. Sometimes i am having issues with spanning-tree costs and ospf costs. But that keeps you focussed as to what you're doing! ;)

Good luck.

• Hi Wouter.prins

Thanks for your feedback. Actually i am using dynamips on windows but i can try to make it work on Linux. Would it be possible for you to share the configuration files that you are using? This will be very helpfull since i am not very experienced in dynamips and just used the one IEWB have shared on their website.

Thanks in advance.

• Ninja, what you've described is what I did (but with 3 x 3560 and 1 x 3550). I didn't use the breakout switch that Wouter.prins used, I used the quad port NICs. They weren't expensive though, about $20 each on eBay.

I believe quite a few people have also used this approach, some using usb ethernet adaptors.

I shared my .net file on the Hacki forum here: Passed CCIE Lab, thanks to Dynamips

• Defintely use quad port NIC's over USB hubs and NIC's.  I use 3 quad port NIC's to 2 x 3550 and 2 x 3560 external switches.  Here is the .net I am using if you need extra reference.

##########
    # Global options
    ##########

autostart = False

##########
    # Instance 1 options
    ##########

[localhost:7200]

workingdir = /home/tomh/ccie/ie_wb_1_4.1/working

[[3640]]
      image = /opt/dynamips/images/c3640-js-mz.124-17b.image
      ram = 128
      disk0 = 0
      disk1 = 0
      #mmap = true
      idlepc = 0x604f5e2c
      ghostios = true
      sparsemem = true

##########
     # Instance 1 routers
     ##########

[[Router R1]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2001
      slot0 = NM-1FE-TX
      slot1 = NM-4T
      # To SW1 Fa0/1
      F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth1
      S1/0 = FRSW 1
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/R1.cfg

[[Router R2]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2002
      slot0 = NM-1FE-TX
      slot1 = NM-4T
      # To SW2 Fa0/2
      F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth4
      S1/0 = FRSW 2
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/R2.cfg

[[Router R3]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2003
      slot0 = NM-4E
      slot1 = NM-4T
      S1/0 = FRSW 3
      S1/1 = FRSW 13
      S1/2 = R1 S1/1
      S1/3 = R2 S1/1
      # To SW1 Fa0/3
      E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth2
      # To SW3 Fa0/3
      E0/1 = NIO_gen_eth:eth8
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/R3.cfg

[[Router R4]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2004
      slot0 = NM-4E
      slot1 = NM-4T
      # To SW2 Fa0/4
      E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth5
      # To SW4 Fa0/4
      E0/1 = NIO_gen_eth:eth11
      S1/0 = FRSW 4
      S1/1 = R5 S1/1
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/R4.cfg

[[Router R5]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2005
      slot0 = NM-4E
      slot1 = NM-4T
      # To SW1 Fa0/5
      E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth3
      # To SW3 Fa0/5
      E0/1 = NIO_gen_eth:eth9
      S1/0 = FRSW 5
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/R5.cfg

##########
    # Instance 2 options
    ##########

[localhost:7201]

workingdir = /home/tomh/ccie/ie_wb_1_4.1/working

[[3640]]
      image = /opt/dynamips/images/c3640-js-mz.124-17b.image
      ram = 128
      disk0 = 0
      disk1 = 0
      #mmap = true
      idlepc = 0x604f5e2c
      ghostios = true
      sparsemem = true

###########################
     # Instance 2 routers
     ###########################

[[Router R6]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2006
      slot0 = NM-4E
      slot1 = NM-4T
      # To SW2 Fa0/6
      E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth6
      # To SW4 Fa0/6
      E0/1 = NIO_gen_eth:eth12
      S1/0 = FRSW 6
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/R6.cfg

[[Router BB1]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2007
      slot1 = NM-4T
      S1/0 = BB3 S1/0
      S1/1 = FRSW 21
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/BB1.cfg

[[Router BB2]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2008
      slot0 = NM-4E
      # To SW2 Fa0/24
      E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth7
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/BB2.cfg

[[Router BB3]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2009
      slot0 = NM-4E
      slot1 = NM-4T
      # To SW3 Fa0/24
      E0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth10
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/BB3.cfg

[[Router TS]]
      model = 3640
      console = 2000
      E0/0 = NIO_tap:tap0
      cnfg = /home/tomh/ccie/configs/ie_wb_1_4.1/TS.cfg

[[FRSW FRSW]]
      # R1 to FRSW
      1:102 = 2:201
      1:103 = 3:301
      1:113 = 13:311
      1:104 = 4:401
      1:105 = 5:501

# R2 to FRSW
      2:203 = 3:302
      2:213 = 13:312
      2:204 = 4:402
      2:205 = 5:502

# R3 to FRSW
      3:304 = 4:403
      3:305 = 5:503
      13:314 = 4:413
      13:315 = 5:513

# R4 to FRSW
      4:405 = 5:504

# R6 to FRSW
      6:51 = 21:51
      6:100 = 21:100
      6:101 = 21:101
      6:201 = 21:201
      6:301 = 21:301
      6:401 = 21:401

• Hi Peachhead,

Thanks for the detailed configuration. I see you are using 12 NIC cards, meaning 3 servers i suppose.

Is there anyway to minimize that hardware? but still have optimal setup to configure all the features and questions in IEWB labs?

Regards,

• Hello Ninja911,

It is actually just 1 server, housing 3 quad port PCI NIC's.  In my opinion this is the optimal setup for the IE worbooks/labs.  I am happy to answer any questions or make recommendations if you like on OS/hardware/configurations.  Have fun :)

Peachhead

• hello peachhead,

Thank you very mush for knowledge sharing.

Just i have one question,which Quad port PCI NIC's used(company,model no) ?bit confused with different vendors.

highly appreciated on this info. thank you

iffu.

• I am currently using:

Ubuntu 8.10 64bit with

2 x Sun X1034A PCI64 quad 10/100 NICs and

1 x D-Link DFE-570TX PCI32 quad 10/100 NIC

Both are picked up natively by Ubuntu.  (Dont bother with Windows if you want a serious Dynamips setup that is stable and efficient)

It turns out the X1034A's generate and sometimes share the same MAC addresses after reboot.  There is a fix for this but this was not my main concern initially.  It is very hard to find information about this however they also do not function with anything over 2GB of memory.  I spent over 2 weeks trying to sort this out.  I have tried 4/6/8Gb unsuccessfully.  It is apparently an issue with the sunhme module.  Dont expect a fix anytime soon.  I want a system with over 2GB of memory so this was a big issue for me.

The DFE-570TX cards are awesome, working perfectly.  I have ordered 2 more to replace the X1034A's.  The situation is that the X1034A's are common and cheap and the DFE-570TX's are rare and expensive.  You can also keep an eye out for the DFE-580TX which is the newer version.  There are other cheap options like the Adaptec ANA6944A/TX although I can not confirm its performance/stability or compatibility.  I have spent many many hours on the dynamips forum which has some but not all the information you want.  Check out the following thread:

http://7200emu.hacki.at/viewtopic.php?t=5770

For the love of all things sane please dont get a X1034A.  They are the root of all things evil and may be the older uglier cousin of IGP mutual redistribution.  It comes down to money and how anal you are about your setup.  I cant stand any oddities and wanted everything to run perfect.  I figure I will be spending the best part of 500 hours in front of this lab so may as well get it setup and working well.

Feel free to hit me up with further questions I am half way through workbook 1 now so have a better idea about exactly how to setup a functional dynamips lab for the IE topology.

Cheers.

• hello peachhead,

thank you very much for your quick reply and valueable answer

one small question hope u dont mind...How you emulating the role of Access server(terminal server) after connecting the real switches any replies on this?

Thanks in advance & All the best for your CCIE track

Reply will be awaited on this.

take care bye

• Hey Mate,

I am using a piece of software called ser2net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ser2net) to map the serial ports to network ports.  I then have the 4 switches connected via USB serial cables to my dynamips server.  I map TCP 4051-4054 to TTYUSB0-TTYUSB3 and have access via the loopback interface:

ip host R1 2001 10.0.0.1
     ip host R2 2002 10.0.0.1
     ip host R3 2003 10.0.0.1
     ip host R4 2004 10.0.0.1
     ip host R5 2005 10.0.0.1
     ip host R6 2006 10.0.0.1
     ip host BB1 2007 10.0.0.1
     ip host BB2 2008 10.0.0.1
     ip host BB3 2009 10.0.0.1
     ip host SW1 4051 10.0.0.1
     ip host SW2 4052 10.0.0.1
     ip host SW3 4053 10.0.0.1
     ip host SW4 4054 10.0.0.1

[email protected]:~$ cat /etc/ser2net.conf | grep USB
    4051:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB0:9600 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT banner
    4052:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB1:9600 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT banner
    4053:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB2:9600 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT banner
    4054:telnet:600:/dev/ttyUSB3:9600 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT banner

It is pretty straight forward.  Let me know if you have any issues with this.

Cheers.

• hi,

how r u ?

A small questions for u regarding terminal server(Access Server)

1.How to come out from opend connection R1,R2...etc back to terminal server?.i tried with cltr + shift + 6 + x

2.How to switch between opend connection directly, example from R1 -> R2 ,R3 -> R4 & vice versa

3.How to switch back to opend connection from terminal server? i tried with esc + cltr + shift + 6 + 6 + X

Kindly requesting to help me on this.

All the best

ThankYou,

Iffu

• Hey Mate,

I am good thanks, you?  Just starting the workbook 2 labs this week.

1. CTRL SHIFT 6 then press X.  Make sure you are not pressing all 4 keys simultaneously.  This should work

2. I dont believe this is possible with a single keypress.  You can telnet :)

3. Type the session number.  1 ENTER for session 1.  To see open sessions type show session

Happy CCIE'ing :) :) :) :) :)

PeachHead

• 1. To return to the Access Server: CTRL-SHIFT-6 x (press CTRL, keep pressing CTRL and press SHIFT, keep pressing these keys and press 6, release the three keys, press x)

2. There is no way to switch directly from one line to another - return to the Access Server, and then resume the connection to another device

3. To switch back from the Access Server to the most recently accessed device simply press ENTER/RETURN. To return to a different device, type the connection number (from show sessions) and press ENTER/RETURN

• Ref3Hi every body this is  for the people shortly attaining CCIE exam

Here are some samples for the many, many different open-ended
    questions Cisco could ask for the R/S track. Please notice there is no
    need for panic if you are using one of our recommended study
    approaches. Also, we have received information that these questions
    will be computer-based and you will answer them before the
    configuration portion. 

Bridging and Switching

• Explain the advantages of MSTP (802.1s).
    • Explain the advantages of RSTP (802.1w).
    • Explain the differences between 802.1Q and ISL.

IP IGP Routing

• Explain the advantages presented by the DUAL algorithm in EIGRP.
    • Why does OSPF use a DR in an Ethernet LAN environment?
    • Why does OSPF feature different network types for use in an NBMA area of your network?

BGP

• What issues can the use of a peer group solve in BGP?

IP and IOS Features

• How can a Cisco router assist a client PC to obtain a DHCP address from a DHCP server located on a remote subnet?
    • What issue does HSRP help solve?

IP Multicast

• Discuss issues that exist with the PIM Dense-Mode protocol.

QoS

• Describe differences between Custom Queuing and Class-Based Weighted Fair Queuing.
    • What are the advantages presented by DSCP markings when compared to the legacy IP Precedence approach?

Security

• Describe the basic operation of CBAC on a Cisco router.

reference

http://blog.internetworkexpert.com/2009/01/14/ccie-rs-lab-sample-oral-exam-questions/

• "Computer Based" - Doesn't it mean I can use the keyboard to answer, instead of using my brain mouth?

The monkey inside my brain knows how to use the keyboard, but it doesn't know how to use my mouth.

• hi brother,

One more question i hope dont mind

Here is my .net fle

autostart = False
    [localhost:7200]
        workingdir = /tmp
        udp = 10000
        [[3640]]
            image = /root/lab/c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-10c.bin.unpacked
            idlepc = 0x605a39c8
            ghostios = True
            chassis = 3640
        [[ROUTER R0]]
            model = 3640
            console = 2014
            slot0 = NM-4E
            F0/0 = nio_gen_eth:eth3

The question is

1.because NIC(eth3) connects between dynamips server and real interface (switch)  how to use the link between them as trunk or access port.since eth3 shows this output contains ip ie 192.168.88.133.i tried removing the ip also but dint made it.is there any way to interconnet to have access port and trunk port.

[email protected] CCIE:~# ifconfig -a
    eth3      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0c:29:ec:d7:3d  
              inet addr:192.168.88.133  Bcast:192.168.88.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:feec:d73d/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:37 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:7141 (7.1 KB)  TX bytes:10650 (10.6 KB)
              Interrupt:18 Base address:0x2024

• Alooos peachhead,

This really great coz i'm thinking to use the same approach ( just buy 2x 3560 and 2x3550) and use it with dynamips, coz a know that buy a real lab will to much money, but the question is: will dynamips with do the same as the real lab? I'm still in doubt and i need more info from you guys...

• Wouter.prins,

Very nice, look i'm using ubuntu 8.10 with 2GB and at moment there are too many bugs on this system i dont know why coz sometimes it look-like windows, i'm afraid to have the same bugs with the lab running on it, and emulate the routers on dynamips with real switch will support all connection?

• Hi irfan.in.ie,

How are you setting the IP on eth3 to 192.168.88.133/24?  Is this assigned via DHCP?  Remove the IP off this interface.  You basically just want to use this interface as a bridge between dynamips and the switch connected to the physical eth3 NIC.  You can then use the interconnect as a trunk/acess/tunnel.. whatever you need.

Let me know if you are still unclear on this.  You must be assigning an IP to this interface statically.

Thanks.

• Hi rootsimba,

Dynamips is capable of simulating IOS on various Cisco platforms.  If you run it on a suitably specced machine with a good CPU, > 2GB RAM, and 12 x 10/100 interfaces, you can fully simulate the IE topology providing you have the switching hardware.  This environment is a substitute for a real lab.

What more info do you need.  Let me know I am happy to help.

Thanks.

• Hi rootsimba,

I am using Ubuntu 64bit 8.10 with 8GB RAM.  I have not seen any reoccuring bugs.  This is the most stable and resource friendly option in my opinion.  What bugs have you noticed and are you sure they are bugs and not differences to other operating systems you have used?

Thanks.

• Peachhead,

Maybe you´re right, i use a MacBook that work very well. I use Debian/Ubuntu for many years but on this version of ubuntu has a few crashs maybe is the memory or something, i´ll check it very well and get it ready to emulate routers with dynamips and almost whitout crashs. And thx for you feedback Peachhead.

Rgds,

• Hi Peachhead,

Another doubt...  On my Workstation that is running dynamips i´ve now 2xEth ports (Eth0 and Eth1) the question is, how port i´ll need on my machine for my lab with the reals switch?

Rgrds,

• You need 12 to simulate the IE topology.  Its recommended to have another for your real LAN connection for Internet access etc.  Cisco Documentation..

As your motherboard most likely has an onboard NIC it makes sense to source 3 quad port PCI NIC's.  Ensure you have enough PCI slots as well as room and power for them :)

• Thx for that,

Rgrds,

• Hi Peachhead,

Thanks for contributing for all your valued inputs on running Dynamips with real switches.

I am aslo one of the kiddy into CCIE Path and got Quad with 3 Quad NIC DFE-580TX with 2 3560 and 1 3524 very soon will be replaced by 2 x 3550.

But the only thing is i am running Windows XP and havent tested the lab with real switches.

Could you please share your experience with Windows XP and do you have any .net file for Windows.

Thanks

Tom

• hey guys....really appreciate if anyone can help and enlighten me with the "breakout" switch method in connecting ports from dynamips to real switch. It is quite expensive for me to get the quad 10/100 pci cards here at malaysia.

Regards,

Ken

• Hey Ken,

I am more than happy to help mate.  What specific questions do you have?  It was expensive for me to get them also but the savings in rack rentals or physical equipment is easily justifcation for the quad 10/100 NIC's.

Tom.

• hi peach,

I want to setup the "breakout" switch method mentioned by wouter.prins. Does that mean I will need a L2 switch like 2950/2960 for the breakout switch? Also I am no sure how can I use subinterfaces like eth0.100 for vlan 100 within linux. So basically i need some guideline on:

1. How to connect to breakout switch with multiple subinterfaces from Linux (i am using Ubuntu)

2. How should the breakout switch be configured? Dot1q trunk to my dynamips server then assign 1 port for each vlan (total 12 vlan, 1 for each subinterface?), and then connected to both 3550/3560. And 3560 ports should be untagged?

I will be loaning necessary switches from my company. Hopefully this will makes my lab more complete and resembles the actual Lab 100%.

Best Regards,

Ken

• Hi Ken,

I dont actually use the breakout method with subinterfaces and a breakout switch.  Try the following:

http://7200emu.hacki.at/viewtopic.php?t=7387&highlight=breakout

http://7200emu.hacki.at/viewtopic.php?t=6416&highlight=breakout

My honest opinion on this setup is dont bother.  I know you dont have to pay for quad port NIC's but it just doesnt provide comparable functionality.  I have only this week used rack rental for the first time.  I cant believe it can be as expensive as $30 USD for 5.5hours.  My forking out the money for my own switches and three quad port NIC's, plus the time to set it up to perfectly emulate an IE rack is such a better way to go in my opinion.

Each to their own.  My apologies I cant help more. 

Tom.