CCIE DC Exam Strategy

alyusufalyusuf ✭✭
edited June 2017 in CCIE Data Center General

Hi

I have just completed the CCNP DC certificate and now i will start the CCIE track. i believe that my material resource will be INE, Cisco DOC, and INE Labs! and i cant know any other good source!

i'm posting this to discuss the best strategy for the exam because the exam blueprint has so many variant topics and there is no one book for all topics!

So...

shall i start with INE videos and then read the Cisco DOCs ? or vise versa ?
Do i have to do the labs after i finish each topic or should i keep it as my last steps before exam ?
Do u think a python course is a pre-requisite for starting studying for the exam ? what about Linux ?

What do u think ?

Regards
Husain Al Yusuf

Comments

• leminhleminh ✭✭

I used the following steps:
    watch INE videos
    read the books
    practice after every topic
    if stuck, watch INE videos again and skim through the book chapter

• what about python ? do you think its is necessary to take a course before starting the CCIE ?

Regards
    Husain Al Yusuf

• leminhleminh ✭✭

Yes if you never do scripting. Its better to build basic knowledge.

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

@alyusuf
    i recommend the Following Sequence (For each Topic Alone):
    Round1:
    Read Books > Watch INE Class > Do workBook labs
    then move on to the Next Topic and repeat the exact steps.

after you are done with all Topics, now you will repeat the process again (but instead of just Reading the Books, you review them then move on to Documentations and RFC(s))
    Round 2:
    Review Books > Review INE Class > Study RFC(s) and Documentation > Do workbook labs
    Round 3:
    i think you get the idea by now. keep doing the same thing over and over but change the materials you're using (read different Books, Study Different Documentations, and review old ones, and use the INE Class as the main review Material)
    2 months before the Written you wanna live Inside the Cisco Documentations, and keep the Cisco written exam Blueprint as your main guide, and study each topic in Order.
    after passing the written exam, and you are fed up with Studying Books, now it's time to go for Full scale Labs and read try to become as fast as possible.

If you need me, @Bugazia Me, and i'll be there .

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

one last tip is:
    just start and you'll find your own study plan along the way, and i promise you that you will alter (and not change completely) your study plan atleast a 100 times during your CCIE Study. but you'' eventually find your way.

AND REMEMBER:
    8-12 months prior to the Lab exam, you must find a study partner(or prartners) also look for a mentor , someone who already passed the exam, this tip works wonders believe me.

• Hello @alyusuf,
    Here are my recommendations:
    1. Watch all the videos. That will give you a good feel of the blueprint. If you do not understand things at this point, do not stress it.
    2. Make a break down of the topics, usually I follow INE ATC for that.
    3. Rewatch the videos but this time following the INE ATC. For each sections do labs after watching the videos. The goal is to master the subtopic.
    4. In parallel of mastering the subtopic, read RFCs and blog about that topic, you will discover caveats and best pratices.
    5. After finishing all subtopics and mastering, it's time to bring everything together which full scale labs. They are not easy to find these days but you can also use other vendors to practice. Using other vendors will give you another approach and thinking different than INE's.

Remember it takes time and dedication to make things happen so good luck.

• Hello @alyusuf,
    You asked a question about python scripting. When preparing for the CCIE, focus on the things you need to pass the CCIE. Python scripting is a small subset of the blueprint hence so not spend much time on it. After passing the CCIE, you can take a full blown course and spend time on it.
    Remember, to eat an elephant you break it down bits by bits.
    Cheers mate.

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

@alyusuf PM me when you're 40% way through your CCIE Study, i'll hook you up to a good Study group with some CCIE Candidates, and some CCIE's .

• Review Books > Review INE Class > Study RFC(s) and Documentation > Do workbook labs

Thanks @Bugazia ... i have one question
    how deep shall i go in the RFCs ? for example, dynamic routing protocols, STP, & multicast are included in the blueprint for Datacenter, what shall i look for in the RFCs and what should i ignore ?

i have just finished my CCNP track, and i have read the material and watched INE videos twice. first time for the implementation exam and the 2nd time for the troubleshooting exams! i believe that a huge part of the CCIE exam is already covered in the CCNP , so i think i'm ready for the study groups... Hook me up please :smile:

Regards
    Husain Al Yusuf

1. After finishing all subtopics and mastering, it's time to bring everything together which full scale labs. They are not easy to find these days but you can also use other vendors to practice. Using other vendors will give you another approach and thinking different than INE's.

Thanks @ndiayemalick
    i know it sounds weird but what are other vendors that provide datacenter moc exams ?

Regards
    Husain Al Yusuf

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

@alyusuf said:
    Thanks @Bugazia ... i have one question
    how deep shall i go in the RFCs ?

personally i use RFCs to fill in the Gaps, for example, i might read a book about Multicast, but i find myself still needing more information about the IGMP Timers, or the Book doesn't do a good Job on it, so i would go for the RFCs and read that section.
    you wanna do that for each section which you find yourself week on, or not fully understood.
    and sometimes the RFCs are the best resource you can have. for example BGP and OSPF have great information there which you cannot find anywhere else.

there's not a "cut and dried" method on how to use the RFCs, you should use the RFCs to fill in the Gaps. and sometimes dig deeper on some Topics. also look for the use cases section, or Summary of Operation section, which gives you the "Why" behind the technology which is also important.

Brian McGahan does outline the most important documents,Books and RFCs for the CCIE Dc inside each class, so you do NOT wanna exclude that from your reading list.

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

I will send you a PM in a moment.

• @alyusuf said:

1. After finishing all subtopics and mastering, it's time to bring everything together which full scale labs. They are not easy to find these days but you can also use other vendors to practice. Using other vendors will give you another approach and thinking different than INE's.

Thanks @ndiayemalick
    i know it sounds weird but what are other vendors that provide datacenter moc exams ?

@alyusuf
    Micronics Training (Narbik): https://micronicstraining.com/event/ccie-data-center-boot-camp-v2-10-day/
    NIL Learning: https://learning.nil.com/career-certifications/expert-and-architect-certifications/cisco-certified-internetwork-expert-data-center-ccie-data-center/

Good luck.

• @ndiayemalick said:

@alyusuf said:

Thanks @ndiayemalick

@alyusuf
    Micronics Training (Narbik): https://micronicstraining.com/event/ccie-data-center-boot-camp-v2-10-day/
    NIL Learning: https://learning.nil.com/career-certifications/expert-and-architect-certifications/cisco-certified-internetwork-expert-data-center-ccie-data-center/

Good luck.

Thanks that is really helpful

Regards
    Husain Al Yusuf

• Any recommended books ?

Regards
    Husain Al Yusuf

• ACI Video (Part1) is really great to built a solid ACI Foundation in learning ACI in my oppinion :)

• @ip_hamsterviel said:
    ACI Video (Part1) is really great to built a solid ACI Foundation in learning ACI in my oppinion :)

thanks

Regards
    Husain Al Yusuf