CCIE DC vs R&S???

Wanted to get the brain trust's thoughts...Currently in an internal debate as to which CCIE track to head down DC vs R&S.

My current role is Layer1-3 SME and data center architecture. However, SAN/MDS and compute live in other (friendly) teams. My interaction with these technologies is limited to where Layer1 to 3 interact (including physical layout). I also serve as the Cisco ACI SME.

I started down the R&S route, began to move over to the DC route and now can not decide. I believe I am seeing a significant amount of deep SAN (MDS is not an issue) & compute in the DC track. In my organization, I interact with these technologies but will never actually work on/in them.

From a learning perspective, I have full access to CML (Cisco Modeling Lab / corp version of VIRL) which is all I need for R&S in addition to the INE labs. Whereas for the DC labs, I will rely on paid INE labs mostly with some access to our internal functional DC lab (ACI/EMC SAN/MDS/UCS-B). Access to our corporate lab will be limited as my team does not completely own it.

What is everyone's thoughts for a hardcore network guy (8-ish years in a senior role) who accepts Cisco ACI, accepts python programming, but will be unlikely to engineer in the SAN & compute spaces?

Oh, and I really need to decide, planning on taking a written at Cisco Live this year...

Comments

• Looks like you are well experienced with DC stuffs and ready to go for DCv2 where ACI has been integrated.

Good luck :smile:

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

I agree with @Hari.sapkota go for DCv2.0 :smile:

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

@kd8msm said:
    Wanted to get the brain trust's thoughts...Currently in an internal debate as to which CCIE track to head down DC vs R&S.

What is everyone's thoughts for a hardcore network guy (8-ish years in a senior role) who accepts Cisco ACI, accepts python programming, but will be unlikely to engineer in the SAN & compute spaces?

Oh, and I really need to decide, planning on taking a written at Cisco Live this year...

as cheesy as this might sound.. i'd say : Follow your Heart, and the rest will fall in Place, it does not matter what role you have at the moment, when you're a CCIE, your opportunities will become massive (especially with the Years of experience )
    so if you are too anxious for CCIE DC, then i suggest you star with it, but if you're in between, then i suggest that you start with CCIE R&S, and then maybe get the DC as a second CCIE, you have all the time in the world trust me..

If you need me, @Bugazia Me, and i'll be there .

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

by the way, i love your Dog!

If you need me, @Bugazia Me, and i'll be there .

• R&S is core CCIE Data Center but I would think Collab or DC would be the 2 most in demand