Cisco Virl won't be providing 30 node or Academic license as of 1/1/17

For those of you using Virl or thinking about using Virl, I just saw this posting over on Cisco's Learning Network.

As of 1/1/2017, only VIRL Personal Edition 20-Node will be available for purchase. VIRL Personal Edition 30-Node and VIRL Academic license will no longer be available.

That's all the posting is saying at this time.

Mike

Comments

• GNS3 is doing great work...

• I am using GNS3 VM setup (a ready to use linux based solution), which runs inside vmware. GNS3 VM is little bit complicated but is much stable and provide better performance. It can do every thing which virl can do other than autonetKit.

• I let my VIRL license to expire. I dont feel worth of spending on VIRL. Mainly complicated to setup, difficult to operate and capped number of nodes.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

I let my VIRL license to expire. I dont feel worth of spending on VIRL. Mainly complicated to setup, difficult to operate and capped number of nodes.

I kind of agree with this. For $200 it should have worked smoothly. I have heard similar remarks from other VIRL users.

I bought it and was planning to use the packet.net setup.  Sounded like a super deal, until it came time to set it all up.   Almost feel like asking for a refund.

• Since I started this post, I wanted to pass along some information that is being posted on CLI with regard to Virl.

======================================================================================= 

"VIRL PE will continue to be an important virtual modeling offering developed by Cisco and will have 3 planned releases a year. Next release will be in February and will have an updated infrastructure based on Openstack Mitaka. More to come in the following weeks." 

Thank you,

Karlo

======================================================================================= 

After market review and to better focus the offerings on perspective market segments it has been decided to discontinue the VIRL Personal Edition 30 node product. VIRL PE is targeted at the personal/individual use and is not intended for larger simulations. Customers with large simulation requirements have the option to migrate to Cisco Modeling Labs.

Just passing along to those that are using or thinking of signing up and using.

Thanks,

Mike

• A way to extract more money from clients. Only good thing is, it is supported plate form. You can get TAC support for CM. Its cost is huge not affoardable by individuals.

HTH