Cant choose between R/S or Security - please help!

Hey guys,

So I currently hold a CCNA R/S and a CCNP R/S as my only certifications, and I have 6 years of exp as a Network engineer.

When I passed the CCNP I was dead sure that I wanted to get CCIE R/S so i got the INE package and started studying.

Now, I feel like becoming more broad in my knowledge - I am starting to have doubts that it is CCIE R/S that I should pursue.

Although I have no security background, apart from working with ASAs for the last 4 years, I am becoming more and more interested in pursuing the CCIE Security instead.

I just need your opinion, would this be stupid of me since I already have a solid foundation in R/S, to switch tracks at this point and go for the CCIE Security instead?

Comments

• One thing that I would recommend thinking about is how vendor independent each track is. I know with the CCIE R/S you learn how vendor independent protocols work at a very deep level and this makes it much much easier to go and learn anything else network related. I don't know if the CCIE Security is the same way or not. You want to make sure that the process certifies you as a Security Expert rather than an ASA expert for instance. I know its impossible to be completely vendor independent but some of them are moreso than others.

• Hi,

Ultimately you should do what you feel, as in this journey you'll need all the possible energy you can get. However, no matter what track you wanna go for, vry good RS knowledge is a requirements and most engineers discover how complex this is only when they start pursuing their CCIE. Also, why should you quit now, after all invested time and effort? CCIE Scv5 is huge, especially if you just have some experience with the ASA.

Regards,

Cristian.

• If you are confident in R&S , then do it first and you will feel how it works with being CCIE.

Then move on to Security track. 

You should always get the easy step first and then move on towards hard one.

Thanks

Hey guys,

So I currently hold a CCNA R/S and a CCNP R/S as my only certifications, and I have 6 years of exp as a Network engineer.

When I passed the CCNP I was dead sure that I wanted to get CCIE R/S so i got the INE package and started studying.

Now, I feel like becoming more broad in my knowledge - I am starting to have doubts that it is CCIE R/S that I should pursue.

Although I have no security background, apart from working with ASAs for the last 4 years, I am becoming more and more interested in pursuing the CCIE Security instead.

I just need your opinion, would this be stupid of me since I already have a solid foundation in R/S, to switch tracks at this point and go for the CCIE Security instead?

• @Cristian Matei.

Do you think that I am going be struggling if I start security holding just a CCNP RS? Is necessary to complete the CCIE RS before pursuing another track like Sec or DC in your opinion?

Kind Regards.

• Hi,

As long as you have WORKING RS knowledge a bit above the CCNP level, you're good to go in whatever track you're chasing. Exception is if you go for the SP or DC track. If you go for SP you need RS knowledge at the expert/CCIE level (with or without being CCIE RS certified, knowledge matters) because SP is like CCIE RS on steroids, it's CCIE RS plus additional SP specific features at the expert level. If you go for DC, which is like 50% RS and 50% computing, likewise you would need close to expert/CCIE level knowledge and be able to apply that knowledge on Nexus platforms.

Regards,

Cristian.