XRV Not Starting on ESXI

Dear Gents,

I am able to start xrv image on VMWorkstation 11 using Unet Lab  1.0.0-8 but I am not able to boot ios srv (hda.qcow2 file) on Esxi 6.0 (on UnetLab VM 1.0.0-12 ).

I have enterprise License for VMWare .What I am making mistake.Doing every thing same which I did on WorkStation on my Laptop but not working on my Server Machine (VMESXI 6.0)

Please advise.

Thanks

Comments

• To my knowledge, ESXi will not run a qcow image. VIRL will and so will Unet, ESXi needs an OVA/OVF. I have read blog posts that walk you thorugh converting the qcow image to an OVA but I haven't personally done it. If you have purchased VIRL, then you will have access to download the VIRL images. You can download the VMDK and use that as the boot image HDD in ESXi. I have both IOS XRv and IOS running in ESXi that way and both are stable. I haven't run into many issues other than some L2 VPN data plane fucntions that don't work, mainly on the XRv image. Still testing those out though.

Rob

• Thank you RRIKER.I will try to deploy ova file instead of converting it to qcow file and will share the results.

But if I deploy XRv as seperate VM using OVA File  how I can see visual interconnection of different vxr.Because the Benifits of UNETLAB (when using qcow file) we can easily draw topology by simple drag and drop menu.Any video regarding this.

Thanks

• Unet does what GNS3 did, providing that connection visually, you can do this as well in ESXi. I normally will connect 10 routers in GNS3 to a L2 switch and then configure 802.1Q subinterfaces so that each router is a router on a stick. This is how the CCIE R&S v5 ATC was delivered. You won't be able to visually see the connectivity in the exact same manner as you would in GNS3 or Unet. What I do is drawout the topology ahead of configuring anything, then number the routers, then the connections between those routers are given a VLAN ID, 23 for R2 and R3 or 213 for R2 and XR3. Then I just configure the interfaces appropriately. In ESXi you'll have to make sure that the interfaces are in the right port group, Promisicuous mode is enable at the vSwitch level and that VLAN ID 4095 is enabled to support 802.1Q support. After that, I have successfully earned a CCIE using this above training method. I am currently pursuing CCIE SPv4 and continue to use the above method. L2VPN requires a bit more ESXi manipulation, creating separate vSwitches, placing IOS and XR image interfaces into those vSwitch to be able to run L2VPN. Let me know if you need further guidance

Rob

• Thanks a lot Rob I will try to implement in the above mentioned way and will ask further if I face problem .

• Hello Rob,

With the above technique mentioned I was able to deploy 4 XRv (VMDK ) and able to ping each other.

Now if  I add IOS images to UNETLAB then in this case how they will interact with the XRv interfaces?

If any example with link or steps you can mentioned.

Thanks

• Add the new node add all the interfaces that you need and connect the devices together. It is pretty straight forward operation.