NIC belongs to which layer of the OSI model.

Dear all,

Could you please let me know to which layer of the OSI model NIC belongs. I found few answers but those answers seem to be contradictory.

From various resources I have gone through, some mentioned that NIC belongs to L1, some mentioned that it belongs to L2 and some mentioned that it belongs to both L1 & L2.

What should the correct answer be incase we get an examination question asking the above.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Think about the functions of a NIC card.

Layer 1 physical link termination
    Layer 2 Ethernet or whatever link later technology in use
    Layer 4 it could have TCP offload capabilities

So you can see quickly that a Nic can perform functions in three areas.  Generally speaking we think of Nic as layer 1&2.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 25, 2016, at 3:05 AM, PureSouls <bounce-PureSouls@ieoc.com> wrote:

Dear all,

Could you please let me know to which layer of the OSI model NIC belongs. I found few answers but those answers seem to be contradictory.

From various resources I have gone through, some mentioned that NIC belongs to L1, some mentioned that it belongs to L2 and some mentioned that it belonging to both L1 & L2.

What should the correct answer be incase we get an examination question asking the above.

Thank you very much.

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

• Thank you Mr Wayne.

• although a NIC card performs functionality of Layer one, I would say that it mainly falls under the Layer 2 category because of its BIA. The MAC that is Burned in would be a layer 2 "name" that allows for traffic. But Mr Wayne is right, it does perform on the Layer one functions as well

• The NIC is a layer 1 device, when dealing with the OSI model. It's translating the data into the electrical impulses onto the media being used, which falls under the Physical Layer. You can make an argument for layer 2 operations that I wouldn't necessarily disagree with, but from an exam point of view the NIC is an L1 device.