Not working to Telnet Console to CSR, IOSXR in ESXi 6

I have multiple routers of CSR1000V, IOSXR and Juniper in ESXi 6. For some reason, it stopped on Telnet access to routers and it has been working before. The ESxi Firewall is "check" on VM serial port connected over network (23,1024-65535).

So when i attempted from my Client, it says "Connection Refused". It sounds like blocked telnet.

I read something that ESXi Enterprise license requires it? Otherwise, it blocked the Telnet to the Console?

My ESXi is probably ~2 months now and was OK before. Hoping that I'm not buying expensive ESXi license :(

Product: VMware vSphere 6 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)
License Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Expires: Never

Product Features:
    Up to 8-way virtual SMP

Comments

• An enterprise license is required in order to telnet to the consoles of
    your virtual routers.  I used to have ESXi loaded on a jump drive and
    used the local storage for my datastore which is where my virtual
    devices would reside.  Every 60 days it was just a matter of reloading
    ESXi on the jump drive and adding the VM's back to my inventory.  Reinstalling ESXi enabled the demo enterprise license for another 60 days.  That process took all of maybe 30 minutes to complete.  Might be something to
    consider doing.

• thanks for the info...

• Your ESX server would have to reside on a seperate disk or partition than your datastore where your VM's are located.  I'm assuming they are on the same drive as your ESX hypervisor right now?  If that's the case, best bet would be to download the VM's from your ESX datastore, reinstall ESXi onto a jumpdrive, then add your local storage as as a datastore and upload your VM's back.  Once that's process is done (which might take a while), you could add the VM's back into your inventory and you'd be back up.  Then once 60 days comes again, the only thing you would need to do is reinstall ESXi, add your datastore, then add the VM's back into your inventory.  The next time you had to reload ESX though, you wouldn't have to download/upload your VM's saving a good amount of time.

• Also, i think this is a huge catch if using ESXi. i wasnt aware of this from the beginning. Thought the free licensing will be OK ...

oh well ...

• Thanks for the tips

it looks like you'll have to reinstall ESXi every 60-days then.

• Thanks for the tips

it looks like you'll have to reinstall ESXi every 60-days then.

• Have you thought about moving to a bare metal install instead of using ESXi if you have to deal with a 60 day re-install/purchase a license for it?  Just curious.

• fc2462fc2462 ✭✭

I just created a Gigabit 4 interface on all my CSR 1000V routers and put it in an isolated VRF lite and just telnet to my routers instead of using the console port.  I've been doing all of the INE workbooks and have not had an issue so far.  The Gig 4 does not appear in any of Brian's initial config files and it has not been an issue telnetting to the VRF at all.  I have not encountered any scenario yet where some config on the router broke my access to telnet to the VRF interface.

• so do you have to re-install ESXI every 60-days? 

• Looks feasible. LEt me try it ... so, are you still on ESXI with this option with Gig4?

• fc2462fc2462 ✭✭

Looks feasible. LEt me try it ... so, are you still on ESXI with this option with Gig4?

I'm running ESXi v. 5.5 Update 2 which is the version the CSR1000V seems to like the best.  I have student credentials so I was able to purchase an educational license for ESXi for the "Essentials" license (I think that is what they call it.).  That was about $500 US which to me was worth it to avoid the pain in the neck of re-installing every 60 days.  But, that essentials license does not have serial port concentrator function for console access.  Threfore, to work around that, I just put a Gig 4 on all my routers and put in a management VRF and just use telnet to get to them.  Then all the other ports (Gig 1, 2, 3) are in a Lab vSwitch.  It works very well so far and there's no need for the higher vmware enterprise license with the console access.

• Assuming the router is a blank config, and possibly all interfaces are admin down, how did you setup your interface without going to console first? i'm guessing a DHCP enabled interface?

• fc2462fc2462 ✭✭

Assuming the router is a blank config, and possibly all interfaces are admin down, how did you setup your interface without going to console first? i'm guessing a DHCP enabled interface?

You can still console to the routers through vSphere web client.  The serial port concentrator just gives you the ability to telnet to the console port over the network.  Whereas the default way is to go in through the vmware management software and click on the console from there.

You will notice at the top of the config of the CSR 1000V there is a line for the method of console:

It can either be:

platform console virtual   (this is accessed through vmware management software)   or

platform console serial   (this is accessed through the serial port concentrator function of Enterprise license and higher.)

But, yes, you still need console access of some sort to do the initial config on a new router.

• I purchased VMWare Essentials for my company in November, 2015 - just over $650 for a 3 year subscription for 3 hosts, up to 2 physical processors in each host.

The licensed version was required to allow backup software to access VMs on the company servers - added benefit is that VIRL works on the server I bought for myself.

I had to contact technical support to get a downgraded license that will work on 5.5, which is what I loaded for VIRL (HP DL380 G6 64GB), and for 5.0 (HP DL380 G5 64 GB) that is running our company servers.

I haven't tried the indivual VMs, but VIRL works quite well on VSphere 5.5.

• BTW, thanks everyone for all your inputs and greatly appreciated.

I decided to reinstall or overwrite my ESXI and my VM's were intact. I did several times and was easy. I just "Add to Inventory" as suggested.

More so, someone shared this from GNS3 community and saved tons of effort. I tried also and works. Seems no need to reinstall ESXI once the 60-days expire.

For now, I will keep running on ESXI v6.

http://esxi.oeey.com/2013/11/how-to-reset-esxi-trial-license.html

To reset your ESX 4.x, ESXi 4.x and ESXi 5.x 60 day evaluation license:

1. Login to the TSM through SSH or Shell
    2. Remove the following two files:
      1. /etc/vmware/vmware.lic
      2. /etc/vmware/license.cfg
    3. Reboot server