CCIE V5 BluePrint

Hi everyone ,

Just would like to know something, am following the blueprint from the Official Cert Guide from Cisco.

When am looking from the table topic in the beginning of the book, they wrote witch book volume / book chapter we could look up the information.

But by doing a revision lets say as an example "Explain general network challenges" from the blueprint it says chapter 4 from volume 1
I dont know if it is me but except from the little information from TCP in the beginning of the chapter there is nothing related to that ?

Thank you in advance for your advices.

Patrick D 

Comments

• Thank for your reply, i did understand that. i was just trying to understand why they have created a tab with references if the references arent there ;).

But Thank's that's what i am doing .

Patrick D

• Hi,

Yes, you are right in that most of the topics that are supposed to be mentioned in Vol 1 ch 4 aren't even mentioned there; such as asymmetric routing and unicast flooding. Either it is a typo or they just want to indicate that those items have something to do with the topic of that chapter. It is better to use the blueprint as a guideline of what to study. Use it in conjunction with the INE Expanded Blueprint:

http://blog.ine.com/2014/04/17/ines-ccie-rsv5-expanded-blueprint/

CBT Nuggets has a pretty okay series about section 1 of the blueprint:

https://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training/cisco-ccie-rs-v5-all-in-one-1-network-principles

It covers some of the general network challenges and things such as asymmetric routing, tcp and udp operations and options, TTL etc. Of course Google is a great help for some of those particular things too! :)

/Fin

• EllieEllie ✭✭

Thank you Patrick for sharing your findings. It really helps. I have started reading Volume I book but I had not compared the Referance lists with the actual Topics Listed in the begining of the book. 

I also wanted to see if anybody who has read chapter 8, Eigrp can help me to understand the following topic.

on Page 413 from "Official cert guide Volume I", the last paragraph says the following

"Each named EIGRP Process can hold only a single instance for an address family. In other words, It is not allowed to run two or more instances for the same address-family inside a single named EIGRP Process. if it is necessary to run say, Two IPV4 EIGRP Instances, one for AS number 1 and the other for AS Number 64512, each of them must be placed in to a seperate EIGRP Process with unique number. Also, two or more distinct named EIGRP Process can not run the same address-family instance with the same AS number".

Then, on Page 414, it indicates this "On the other hand, running Several different address-families under a single named EIGRP process is perfectly allowed. in this case, AS number of EIGRP instances for individual address-families in the same EIGRP Process do not even need to match (meaning that you can run an IPV4 instance for AS number 1 and IPV6 instance in the same process for AS number 2".

To my understanding, these two parts are opposite of each other. I am not sure if running more than one Address-Family is allowed under EIGRP Named_mode. Also, what does it mean when it refers to EIGRP Instance ? would it mean EIGRP AS numbers. 

what would be the examples about what these two paragraphs are referring. I could not understand them.

Thanks

• Hi Ellie,

I would say the 1st paragraph refers to the following example: let's say we are using two different AS numbers for the same address family (IPv4)

config t
     router eigrp HQ
      address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 10
       network 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
     router eigrp REMOTE
      address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 100
       network 172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255

You would need to use mutual redistribution between them if inter-AS connectivity was required

The 2nd paragraph refers to the following configuration (EIGRPv6 is enabled by default on those interfaces with IPv6 enabled):

config t
     router eigrp HQ
      address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 1
       network 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
      address-family ipv6 unicast autonomous-system 2
       no shut

It seems like all protocols are following the same syntax and I think it makes more sense when it comes to BGP and all the different AFs (IPv4 unicast/multicast, IPv6 unicast/multicast, VPNv4, VPNv6)

Hope it helps

Regards,

C

• "Each named EIGRP Process can hold only a single instance for an address family. In other words, It is not allowed to run two or more instances for the same address-family inside a single named EIGRP Process. if it is necessary to run say, Two IPV4 EIGRP Instances, one for AS number 1 and the other for AS Number 64512, each of them must be placed in to a seperate EIGRP Process with unique number. Also, two or more distinct named EIGRP Process can not run the same address-family instance with the same AS number".

Then, on Page 414, it indicates this "On the other hand, running Several different address-families under a single named EIGRP process is perfectly allowed. in this case, AS number of EIGRP instances for individual address-families in the same EIGRP Process do not even need to match (meaning that you can run an IPV4 instance for AS number 1 and IPV6 instance in the same process for AS number 2".

To my understanding, these two parts are opposite of each other. I am not sure if running more than one Address-Family is allowed under EIGRP Named_mode. Also, what does it mean when it refers to EIGRP Instance ? would it mean EIGRP AS numbers. 

what would be the examples about what these two paragraphs are referring. I could not understand them.

Thanks

The first part tells you each named EIGRP process can hold only a single instance _for an address family_ and the second part tells you that you can run different address-families under a process. So in examples this would mean;

OK:

[code]router eigrp NAMED
    address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 1
     [...]
    address-family ipv6 unicast vrf B autonomous-system 19
     [...]
    !
    [/code]

Two different address-families under the same process, AS-number or VRF doesn't have to match.

NOK:[code]router eigrp NAMED
     address-family ipv4 unicast vrf A autonomous-system 1
      [...]
     address-family ipv4 unicast vrf B autonomous-system  2
      [...]
    !
    [/code]
    Two instances of the same address-familiy under the same  process, this is not allowed regardless of AS-number or VRF.

• EllieEllie ✭✭

Thank you both for your detailed explanations and nice examples. It really helped. I truly appreciate it

Since I am mostly doing theory and progressing on CCIE Volume I Official Cert Guide Book, I have got to Page 429 now and had this question. On page 429, It talks about Summary Route. Whenever Summary Route is advertised, the router performing the summarization automatically installs Discard Routes for this summary route in to its routing table. the network and Netmask in this discard Route are identical to the network and net mask of the advertised summay and outgoing interface is set to Null0

By Virtue of the Longest Prefix match rule, any known component routes of a summary route would be matched in the routing table before hitting the corresponding discard route and hence routed normally.. for any presently unknown destinations within an advertised summary, the discard route makes sure that the traffic is dropped rather than routed over a possibly unrelated route such as default route"""".

My question is that I understand the longer prefix will route normally without hitting Summary-Routes. However, since we have discard Route with outgoing interface pointing to Null0, would not this cause any traffic that hit summary route be dropped Another words, no Traffic matching with Summary-routes will be advertised due to that Null0. In that case, if that is the case, what is the point of advertising Summary-route if the router will automatically create NULL0 route out of it. I understand that the reason for creating Null0 would be because of Loop-prevention mechanism as the book describes. However, at the same time, that can cause the summary-route not getting advertised and the packets would get dropped for any packets destined to this summary Route so would make creating summary-route as point-less approach. 

Could you please advise me if that is the case.

Thank you very much for your time.