Basic: Device Pools and Regions

Hi all; 

I'm completely newbie on Collaboration. while reading the materials, I faced with a question. all of the phones are registered to a CUCM and get associated with a device pool. suppose we have a HQ site and 2 branches in which all of the telephones in the branch offices are connecting to the HQ (which holds all of the servers) through VPNs. so in this situation, do we need to create a different device pool for each site? I have created 1 Device Pool and define 3 regions and their relationships inside device pool configuration. so how can we tell a cucm to put a device inside another region?

Comments

• Timaz,
         The short answer is yes, you do need more device pools.  The only place to apply a region is at the device pool. Within a device pool there can be only one region.  With that, if you want to apply 3 regions, you must have 3 device pools.  

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2016, at 4:12 AM, timaz <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi all; 

I'm completely newbie on Collaboration. while reading the materials, I faced with a question. all of the phones are registered to a CUCM and get associated with a device pool. suppose we have a HQ site and 2 branches in which all of the telephones in the branch offices are connecting to the HQ (which holds all of the servers) through VPNs. so in this situation, do we need to create a different device pool for each site? I have created 1 Device Pool and define 3 regions and their relationships inside device pool configuration. so how can we tell a cucm to put a device inside another region?

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • Hi Tamiz,

I agree with Michael, there are sonme parameters in CUCM that you cannot apply directly to phones. You have to use device pools to gather those parameters in a centralized place and then apply the device pools to endpoints (1 endpoint can have only one device pool).

Device Pools are typicaly needed when you want to deal with region (max bit rate negotiated between endpoints), date&time groups (if your sites are located in different timezones or if you just want to display the date and time in a different fashion), locations (for call admission control).

Remi

Rémi
    CCIE Collaboration #57461

• I do not know what to say really what you share very well and useful to the community, I feel that it makes our community much more developed, thanks geometry dash