We have completed the upgrade of IEOC! All posts, comments and user profiles have been migrated. For security reasons, we have reset all passwords. To set a new password please Click Here. Further updates soon to follow.

Career orientation for an aspiring network engineer | looking for a CCIE in the UK for a chat

Hello to everybody.

Thank you INE for offering this place on the Internet.

I am trying to make a career change and targeting an entry role, hopefully a network position, in England. I am currently studying towards my CCNP in Routing and Switching and as soon as I finish I will look to get into work.

I am wondering if there's any CCIE that coul be interested to spend twenty minutes of his time, I am willing to pay for it, to help a noob to make his head around the Telecommunication industry in the UK.

I would like to have an advice regarding the followings:

1. Recruitment companies to consider
  2. Tips for the technical interview
  3. Companies to apply to (ISP, Data Centers...anything that can get me closer to what I want to do)
  4. Salary expectations.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• peetypeety ✭✭

I probably can't help much with 1/3/4 since I'm in Seattle, but for #2, my recommendation is simple: don't mess around. If you know it, show it. If you don't know it, say so and let them move on. If they prod further, show them any knowledge you may have on the topic, but don't babble too long. Also, take note of anything they ask that you didn't know, and study it for the next interview.

Regardless of the interview type/level/audience, ALWAYS have at least five diverse-level questions ready to ask when they prompt you to ask questions. Pick one and ask it; let the rest drop unless you're truly convinced they want to hear more questions. Essentially, if you don't ask at least one question, "you lose points". [I'd also suggest asking early in the process if you're interviewing for a specific position or just a generic interview for a broad set of positions. If it's for a specific position, directly ask why it's open: was it a termination (tells you they will terminate if they feel a need), a retirement (tells you people hang around for a while), a departure (grass may be greener elsewhere), an internal transfer (opportunities exist), or growth (a very good sign that you may not be the FNG for long).

• Hello Peety, thank you very much for your detailed answer. I will definitely take note :)

Take care.

• Hello Peety, thank you very much for your detailed answer. I will definitely take note :)

Take care.

Hi Seekbytes, you can post your question also here in reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/networking there are a lot of active users there

HTH,

Timothy Manito