Service Provider and its Customers

Hi

I was arguing with someone that Internet Service Providers should not prevent their Internet wholesale customers from Establishing any sort of Site to Site connection (MPLS, BGP, VPN, GRE...etc) if the Internet wholesale customer purchased just Internet access from more than one site.

Internet

|

wholesale_A--------(Western Site)--------ISP Network-----------(Eastern Site)-----------wholesale_A

He said that the customer should pay for two services then ( internet Service + VPN Service ), and the service provider should apply an access-list preventing these protocols passing through their customer interfaces unless the customer has ordered them.

Based on your experience, what is the Right way to deal with Internet wholesale customers?!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I would argue that unless you sepcifically mention in your terms and conditions and be upfront about it, and internet service is not just about getting access to web and email services.  You are getting unfettered access to the network of networks that is the internet.  This includes running whatever overlay setup you like (and securing yourself against unwanted traffic).

An ISP is free to try and sell a limited service, but I would bet that only the very small end of the business world would even consider such a service, and it would have to be cheap as chips.  And they would have to specfically say they are only selling web and email services as they are not giving access to the entire internet.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

Internet access is wide open IMHO. Bits are bits, and the ISP should move them, to the best of their ability. The only stuff that should be blocked is known-bad stuff, such as OSPF/EIGRP (there's NO REASON for a customer to speak an IGP with their ISP).

• In my own experience and belief, it does come down to the service you're purchasing from the ISP.

If you're purely purchasing internet connectivity then this is what should be provided. Internet connectivity isn't HTTP, FTP, SMTP and if an ISP tries to limit what protocols you can run then they're are stepping over a line. One caveat on this I have seen is permitting SMTP traffic as a source from non business services. This was done in an attempt to prevent SMTP relays occurring from comprised customer networks.

What is "right" comes down to what service you purchased and the contract applied.