CSR1000v Unable to communicate

I must be missing something stupid, but I can't figure it out.

I have 2 esxi hosts running 5.5. I have tried to install the CSR1000V on both, but have the same problem. I can get it installed, booted, assign IP addresses to the interface of Gi1. I cannot ping or get any kind of communication with any other device in the same VMware port group. I've tried this so many times. 

On the same host, in the same port group, I have deployed 2 CSR1000v's, I also have two windows 2008 servers in the same portgroup. All are on the same subnet. The servers can communicate without issue, but they cannot ping the router, the router can't ping anything except for itself. ARP entries show as incomplete

I just don't get it. 

Comments

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

http://serverfault.com/questions/673702/switch-base-connectivity-between-two-esxi-hosts-in-vsphere-vcenter-with-vds

This discussion could help.

Or it has something to do with the version of the images and the ESXi hosts, check this documentation

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/csr1000Vswcfg/installesxi.html

HTH,

Timothy Manito 

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• Unfortunately, neither of those would help. I'm not even trying to do anything with multiple hosts. Just a single host for right now, all devices are in the same port group.

I'm trying 3.14 and 3.15, both are supported on vSphere 5.5  (not running Update 3)

• oddly enough, I was able to get it to work by removing all the network adapters from the CSR VM, and replacing them with e1000 network adapters. Makes no sense since the documentation says they need to be VMXNET3. 

As long as it's working I guess.  I'm just using it for a very simple use case, so shouldn't be an issue

• alexpfalexpf ✭✭

When I set my CSR1000v up for the first time, I could ping the default gateway. I then had to add routing/default route in order to ping the rest of the network.

• This is relatively an old post, but it may help someone some day. Perhaps on the Portgroup properties --> "VLAN ID" change it to "All (4095)"! Best.

• @aminomer said:
    This is relatively an old post, but it may help someone some day. Perhaps on the Portgroup properties --> "VLAN ID" change it to "All (4095)"! Best.

Thanks! This helped me out! I even created an account to show how much I appreciate! I thought my little lab life had just ended!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!!