Rob Riker's INE Videos for CCIE

I have just started viewing CCIE R&S videos and started with Rob Riker's "System Management." I am in complete awe after watching just the 4 files. Rob seems so unsure of everything he does that I am sure a novice student is left more confused after watching the videos.

He tries adding a loopback to the cloud in GNS3 and wont be able to do it. Tries boot and then does ? and will pick network over system, will try to boot from tftp but wont provide any ip address. He will see type 7 password encryption and then will try to look if the "service password-encrytion" is in the running-config, and when he won't see the command, he will himself sound confused and then will move on, without ever clarifying how did that even happen if he never found the "password-encryption" in the running-config. To me, the answer was simple that the IOS version he was running was new, and all the latest versions, "password-encryption" is enabled by default. Defaults are not shown in running-onfig.

Anyway, the guy might be a CCIE but he is just so new that his videos are extremely low quality stuff for an IE level. Something like this might be doable at the CCNA level, but still not even a CCNA from INE as the provider. INE used to bring the best of the best for creating their quality content but now looks like that R&S IE students are more of a guinea pigs group where they can throw new teachers.

Please do watch the 4 files in the System Management and please tell me honestly, if Brian himself would have created the same, those would have been 10 minutes each and one time perfect shots than what Rob couldnt even achieve in burning 30 minutes.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else felt the same? So, what are you all doing? Moving back to old (gold Brian) videos or to a different vendor? I am lost, and feel very disappointed. I used to regards INE as pioneers and the greats of the game, but Rob from them is huge flop.

Comments

• I agree and have been wanting to say something to customer support.   He may be a great engineer, but as an instructor his skills fall very very short.  I will not watch ANY of his instructing VODs.

• I haven't gone in depth of Rob's videos but I noticed the video quality seems to be blurry on his videos compared to the others.

• EllieEllie ✭✭

I have not watched this specific Video. I have watched his other VIdeos on Youtube related to some Routing Protocols and it was very good. I really liked how the subject was flowing in the constant way and in very simple method. It was useful to me.

I think it depends who we are comparing with. I can say that Brian's ATC videos are the best. The best Videos that I have listened. the way that he teaches and especially Version 5 since it shows him talking, It is like a live class to me and I take less break or interruption in beetween.

• I've had a quick look at these videos and struggled also.  I think Brian's are great when the going is good, but I sometimes struggle to keep up when listening to a topic where I'm weak.  This is where I've found Keith Bogart's videos very useful, the slower tempo and ground-up approach helps me to understand.

• I felt the same way when I tried to watch his OSPF videos.  Right off the bat in the first video, at time 4:13 he laughs and says he is reading something off of another monitor while he's recording.  I can only assume someone IM'd him something funny and he was actually reading that while trying to record the video.  I think if I was recording a video, I would either edit that out or I would make a do-over and I for sure would not try to multitask while recording a freakin video!

Then, again in the first video, at time 5:15 he mentions reading John T. Moy's book (OSPF : anatomy of an Internet routing protocol) and he gives the wrong name of the author and it's not even close.  My position is that if you're going to mention something at all, like an author's name, at least put it in your notes and make sure it's correct for Christ sake.  I mean after all this is a pre-recorded video not a recording of a live class.  You have all the time in the world to prepare for it.

I totally agree his videos are unpolished and tough to watch.  But, we have all been spoiled rotten by Brian who is truly gifted at creating these videos and he has been doing it for how many years now?  I really like the idea that INE is auditioning some new instructors just for variety and different points of view and I think Rob just needs to rehearse a bit more and make sure his notes are more complete and accurate before hitting the record button.  I chalk it up to nervousness and inexperience.  I'm sure he will improve over time as he gets more practice.  I don't doubt his technical knowledge and skills but recording one of these videos is only half technical knowledge and the other half is presentation skills.

• I haven't gotten too deep into them but I agree they are probably better as supplements to and not replacements for the ATC courses - his youtube channel is very good if you get a chance to look at it - and he participates on this forum if you have extra questions - RB

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

I felt the same way when I tried to watch his OSPF videos.  Right off the bat in the first video, at time 4:13 he laughs and says he is reading something off of another monitor while he's recording.  I can only assume someone IM'd him something funny and he was actually reading that while trying to record the video.  I think if I was recording a video, I would either edit that out or I would make a do-over and I for sure would not try to multitask while recording a freakin video!

I believe the videos are not edited and just reuploaded/moved from his youtube channel to INE's.

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• I believe the videos are not edited and just reuploaded/moved from his youtube channel to INE's.

If that is the case then, I'm even more disappointed that INE would take unedited/unreviewed content and put it in their private, pay for access, training website.

• Dear Valued Customers, 

We’ve read the comments that have been directed toward the content produced by Rob Riker, and we’d like to address your concerns. We’d like to first make it known that we value your experience with us, and we take your progress as engineers very seriously. 

We understand your concern that Rob’s initial videos aren’t recorded to the INE quality that you’ve come to know and expect. This was an agreement to require existing content that may have a different production process that we believed would be an asset to the content library. Moving forward any content produced by Rob for INE will be to the INE standards you’re accustomed to.

Rob’s courses focus on his areas of expertise and are not meant to compete with Brian McGahan’s courses. We encourage authors to teach in the areas they feel most comfortable, as well as to embrace their own teaching style. You can see how Rob is progressing as an author in his new course, Intro to VMware vSphere 6.0

We appreciate your dedicated viewership of INE’s All Access Pass, and we’d like to encourage you all to voice concerns. In the future for situation such as this, please use the email address [email protected] so that we can address your concerns you have in a more timely and efficient manner.

-INE Production Team

• Tammy,

Good to see ya! This is Brian.I use to work with you over at FBI in DC. I use to sit next to Rob Novak with Oscar and the crew. How's everything been? On a side note, I haven't seen where I can purchase another wkbk on INE's site. Do you know if the wkbk's are still for sale? They seem to be focused on producing new video's nowadays

• How are you?

They have a TON of training workbook materials.  I would call their number if you are having a hard time finding where to purchase them on the web site.  I have the IE material for SP, Security and R&S.  LOVE their stuff.  I feel bad for Bruce C…the father
    of CCIE training.  He just got left in the dust.  Brian and company [minus Rob] rock and fit my learning style perfectly.

Good luck with your studies.  I’m still with the company I worked for when I supported you.  Feel free to reach out to me in a private email.   Dale or Oscar should have my address.  For that matter, anyone on the team still there.

K/r,

Tammy

Tammy Burley

ENGINEER.NETWORK CONSULTING

GGSG & CSPO

[email protected]

Phone: +1 202 354 2905

Cisco.com

Think before you print.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient),
    please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Please
    click here
    for Company Registration Information.

quietmind <[email protected]>

Reply-To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Date: Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 8:00 PM

To: Tammy BURLEY <[email protected]>

Subject: Re: [CCIE R&S General] Rob Riker's INE Videos for CCIE

Tammy,

Good to see ya! This is Brian.I use to work with you over at FBI in DC. I use to sit next to Rob Novak with Oscar and the crew. How's everything been? On a side note, I haven't seen where I can purchase another wkbk on INE's site. Do you know if the wkbk's
    are still for sale? They seem to be focused on producing new video's nowadays

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• Hi Tammy,

I saw from your email that you work for Cisco.  How cool is that?

I'm in a bind and was wondering if you could help me out?  Would it be OK if you downloaded an IOS image for me?  I'm having a hard time accessing the web site right now.  I need an advanced ip services image for the 3750 48 port PoE model for my lab.  Whatever the latest version is that would be good.  Please email it to me when you get a chance.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

FC

To: [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 2:58 PM

How are you?

They have a TON of training workbook materials.  I would call their number if you are having a hard time finding where to purchase them on the web site.  I have the IE material for SP, Security and R&S.  LOVE their stuff.  I feel bad for Bruce C…the father
    of CCIE training.  He just got left in the dust.  Brian and company [minus Rob] rock and fit my learning style perfectly.

Good luck with your studies.  I’m still with the company I worked for when I supported you.  Feel free to reach out to me in a private email.   Dale or Oscar should have my address.  For that matter, anyone on the team still there.

K/r,

Tammy

Tammy Burley

ENGINEER.NETWORK CONSULTING

GGSG & CSPO

[email protected]

Phone: +1 202 354 2905

Think before you print.

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient),
    please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

Please
    click here
    for Company Registration Information.

quietmind <[email protected]>

Reply-To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Date: Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 8:00 PM

To: Tammy BURLEY <[email protected]>

Tammy,

Good to see ya! This is Brian.I use to work with you over at FBI in DC. I use to sit next to Rob Novak with Oscar and the crew. How's everything been? On a side note, I haven't seen where I can purchase another wkbk on INE's site. Do you know if the wkbk's
    are still for sale? They seem to be focused on producing new video's nowadays

• Wow.... just amazing.

• Hi Everyone,

Ive read through all the comments on this thread. Feedback is important to any instructor, in some cases its positive, some neutral and others negative. Everyone has the right to their opinion. 

Any of the CCIE titled videos that I produced were never intended to be replacement or even competition to the ATC videos. They are solely supplemental to the ATC. They were originally intended for YouTube, when INE showed interest in them for their library I jumped at the chance. 

Since then I earned my CCIE in R&S. The videos and there included content have clearly been looked at in the wrong perspective. They were not recorded to the INE standard you were expecting. Since being onboarded INE themselves have pain stakingly assisted me in ensuring future content meets their quality standards.

Any future videos I produce I ask that you at least give them a chance, you can't compare them to the older content, 2 different production methods. 

I work very hard to produce the videos that I produce. I have my own teaching style and that may or may not be for you. Either way, I ask that you respect the time and effort required to produce the content. I am continuously producing new content for INE as I enjoy teaching and hope that someone gains something from it. INE is a great training vendor that I am proud to be a part of and routinely recommend. 

Thanks,

Rob Riker

• Hi Rob

I watched a couple a couple of your OSPF videos and they didn't work for me, but I'll certainly take a look at some of your newer material when I'm ready. 

I suppose you've just got to keep trying to improve, which is what we're all trying to do at the end of the day.

Jody

• I think Rob's videos are great.  I like that he is learning on the video and not afraid to show people how to learn the technology, as opposed to already knowing it cold and just kind of going through the motions.  His videos seem to have a lot more enthusiasm than the others. Just a different perspective.  I also like Brian and Keith Bogart too.  But I think Rob's are a good addition.  I have learned a lot from his videos and he's always ready to answer any questions I may have.  He really likes  to help people learn. He's also recently passed his CCIE so it's very relevant.

• Guys lets be honest to ourselves here. Brian Just didn't wake up to be this good that we all love to listen to him. I want to believe he must have had days like Rob had. Notice I said had but not have. Everyone grows along the way. Brian M, Brian D, Keith B, Cristian M, and the rest of the wonderful instructors INE has all had their days of little beginnings. 

Just like a child will learns to crawl, then start with the baby steps to having a full posture on the ground and start running. So it is with Rob. I don't know him personally but I've listen to his videos and they are decent enough to get you informed only if you care to listen.

Just as he stated, those are his videos from his youtube channel, I see it as a way he did his blogging while preping for CCIE.....truth is most of us all voicing out here....In our minds, we would be like "We can do better if given the opportunity"...Oh no it just doesn't work like that. It's not easy teaching technical stuff. 

Take Brian M, for instance....I don't know if you guys noticed....his teaching style has evolved over the years. I'll be the first to admit....I use to doze off when I listened to him when I started preping for my NP then IE. I was like oh snap he is super boring....I also did say if it's not Jeremy or Keith Barker of cbtnuggets forget it. But I got a wake up call after watching Brian troubleshoot live on the console. It started getting a bit interesting for me...over time I started enjoying him. I can bet most of you guys would agree with me... that his ATC v5 Videos Brian was on another level, his teaching style changed. For me it was much more engaging that I hardly doze off any more. Not to say other productions of Brian hasn't been good....they are very good productions, but I just feel his ATC v5 for R&S was a reborn of Brian. This is my opinion.

My point is.... he did evolve overtime. I bet that would be the same for Rob too.  It's all in the mind. You could learn from whom ever you choose to listen to.  Just keep an open mind and let the techtorials get across to you.   

Cheers fellas. 

• BugaziaBugazia ✭✭✭

Rob is a great Engineer, and brings alot to the table,
    but he still has a lot of Room to grow as an instructor, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you need me, @Bugazia Me, and i'll be there .

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

Looks like he no longer creates training content for INE

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• I did notice a few issues with Rob's videos but I'm not holding it against him. I'm sure he went back and saw some of his mistakes and was hard on himself about it, especially knowing so many INE customers watch the videos. He has room to grow, which is good. Nobody should be so complacent that they think they are error-free. I've even heard Brian say the wrong thing a couple of times, so it's just human nature.

I'm thankful Rob put as much as he did into the Network Principles. That was one of the areas that I wasn't sure about as far as what is overkill and what isn't enough. Between his videos, CBT Nuggets videos, and random documents, I feel more confident with that section now.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

I really dislike this thread....and here I am bumping it again. lol

I watched as Rob Riker grew through the program, and became a CCIE. He had a lot of youtube videos of his INE studies. This is something that I admired and always wanted to do myself. It is one thing to understand technology. It is another thing to explain it well.

Apparently, INE saw the same thing I saw in Rob Riker early on. So they brought him on to the INE team as an instructor. INE has done this with several of the instructors in the past -- and now they are famous in our little CCIE world.

As some have noted, Rob's videos noticeably improved in a very short time. After all, I think a lot of those early videos were just home-made youtube videos (try this yourself). His improvement demonstrated his desire to better himself in everything he does. That is an important quality that we learn on the CCIE journey.
    I would say if there was any issue, it was INE's management of the videos. When I purchase a product like INE has, the first thing I want are the flagship instructors. But when we go to the library, all of the instructors are mixed together.

I do remember my initial disappointed when I upgraded to an AAP subscription. Rob's youtube videos were mixed in with Brian McGahan's. Not a close comparison at all....and not fair to Rob start as an official INE instructor.

So, I hope that Rob does not give up on being an instructor -- whether at INE or not. There are a lot of other instructors who started off like he did-- and now they have become CCIE superstars.

It all takes those first baby-steps to do things. Rob Riker is many steps of most of us. If you do not think so, then go make technical videos. We would like to see them. :)

• jdflammerjdflammer
    edited September 2017

Rob Riker's videos are the worst. He flies off tangent constantly. His stories do not relate to the topic at hand. I dread seeing that any vid I'm interested in is his. I did not pay good money for somebody to "grow" as an instructor. Please Mr. McGahan... remake Riker's videos!!!!!

• I cannot say if Rob's videos are good or bad because I have never finished watching any of his videos. The reason why is because he uses the default font size on his putty, notepad++ etc. To be honest, it's very hard for me to read putty or anything else if he uses the default font size. That's one of the main reason why I never finish his videos. I'm saying this in an effort to help the quality of his future videos. And by the way, Brian is very aware of the font size because he changes the font size when he thinks a viewer may have a hard time reading his presentation.
    Thank you.

• edited March 10

I know this is an old thread, but i'm going to stand up for Rob (somewhat). Rob is not Brian or Keith. INE's videos should not be ordered chronological. This is part of the issue, Rob's videos show up first.

However, When I'm watch Brian or Keith... everything works. They make it look simple, which is not always a good thing. I think that was easy, i get it. When sometimes there is something glaring im missing from my knowledge. When i watch Rob, things do not always work. You get to see him troubleshooting and you have to go off and lab/read up yourself.

I would never use Rob to learn a new topic. However, for revision and brushing up, Rob is great. Often when watching Rob something is not working for him and im think i know exactly what that is; because i've just labed it myself and figured it out.

Rob is not the best teacher, but he does offer things from a different angle.

• daviiddaviid
    edited April 15

As a new customer to INE , The ospf tech deep dive series by Rob is not the best, there are lots of misinformation. I started watching the videos to refresh my OSPF knowledge and found a few incorrect info passed by Rob, i had to stop immediately and googled the instructor then stumbled upon this thread.
    This series will definitely be confusing for a newbie in OSPF and will confuse anyone who does not have strong background in the Protocol. Might also even deter new customers who have no idea of the High INE standard and watch Videos such as these. I see they Videos were created in 2015, so i am hoping Rob has gotten better with his videos. These videos should be reviewed and wrong info removed, i cant believe its still there after 4 years