Lab Environment

Hi Guys,

I am just starting my CCIE journey and i am trying to work out how i should do the labs. I looked into this 1 year ago but a lot seems to have changed tsince then. 

I planning to use INE rack rentals for some things, when i need to but i'd rather have a cheaper alternative to prepare, if possible. I know that VIRl is now supporting 20 devices as well as L2. So i am wondering out of the following which is now my best bet for working through the INE workbook?

1. VIRl

2. CRS on ESXI

3. WebIOU

I have access to physical switches at work so can supplment L2 stuff with that if necessary

Regards

Comments

• INE is using CRS on ESXI but i personaly like VIRL and am using it. Now Cisco has 30 node license for VIRL plus L2 support so thats seems a good deal for CCIE R&S.

HTH

• Hi,

Do you have it running directly on esxi? IF so what is the spec of your server.

Can VIRl be used for most of the INE labs now? (ie does it support all of the features) 

Thanks

• I just started going through some of the layer 2 myself.  Do not have a complete list yet of what does not work.  I have been porting over physical configs to VIRL and doing labs.

I am running a 30 node license.  I run 20 IOSv routers and 4 Layer 2 IOSv switches and two breakout switches for the connectivity of the routers to switches.  I have a new Dell Laptop with 64Gb of ram running it in VMware Workstation.  It was not using more that 15 to 16 Gb of RAM including Windows OS Usage.

• So would everyone generally recommend VIRl over just using CSR 1000Vs on ESXI now?

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

So would everyone generally recommend VIRl over just using CSR 1000Vs on ESXI now?

Yes, I believe it is a good investment since you will have access to the latest images not only for CSR1000v [:)]

For the hardware specs: http://virl.cisco.com/getvirl/

HTH,
    Tim 

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• It depends on the choice but i would preper VIRL because you have access to different Cisco softwares like NS-OX,XOR, CSR,vIOS and many others. As a network guy, we most of the times play with more than type of network gear :-)

Thanks

• You have a laptop with 64 GIG RAM ?  WoW ..... I want it and want it now!

The new Dell Precisions 7510s and 7710s with Skylake processors can handle up to 64Gb of memory.  Lenovo has some also.   My desire was to have a mobile lab I could carry with me. 

• I am eligible for the academic licence. Will 20 nodes be enough for most of the prep for R&S V5? 

Thanks guys 

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

I am eligible for the academic licence. Will 20 nodes be enough for most of the prep for R&S V5? 

Thanks guys 

Yes, you only need 10 routers for the R&S v5 ATC Labs. [:)]

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• I have just built an esx 6 lab running 20 csrs with 4 physical 3750's. Also setup the automatic scripting to load up the initial configurations and serial over network.  

Loaded all all the console sessions into securecrt and its all working a treat.

i also plan to install a nexus 1000v on the esx for nx-os stuff.

it works for me functionally and it works for my wallet! 

Edit: 20 csr's deployed but only have 10 csrs currently running until I need the others as the last post mentioned

Jon