CCIE to be suspending

Hello friends,

I received an email from cisco saying below:

Our records show your CCIE recertification deadline, July 7 2016, is approaching.  We want to encourage you to prepare for and schedule one of the available CCIE or CCDE written exams to satisfy the recertification requirement.

CCIEs and CCDEs are required to pass one written exam within the 24 months preceding their current recertification deadline.  You may either retake the written exam for your track, or attempt a different written exam.  A passing score on any CCIE or CCDE written exam will satisfy the requirement for recertification.  Note: Candidates who fail an exam must wait a period of 15 calendar days before they may retest for the same exam with a maximum of 4 attempts per year.

but unfortunately i am not ready for any ccie written exam 

please tell me if i do not pass any written exam, is there any harm to my certification ? what will be the worst effect ?

Comments

• if you do not pass the written exam every two years you will lose your ccie number. this means if you want afterwards to be again a CCIE you must go again though the written+lab.

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

From Cisco's website:

"Certification candidates are responsible for keeping track of their certification expiration dates. Please plan your recertification accordingly. If your CCIE recertification requirements are not completed on or before the certification's expiration date, your CCIE certification will be suspended for one year. Candidates have one year to recertify their CCIE certification by passing the required written exam. If a candidate does not recertify prior to the one year deadline and your employer will be notified. Suspended candidates have one year to recertify their CCIE certification by passing the required written exam or practical lab before their expert level certification becomes permanently inactive. Inactive CCIE professionals lose all benefits and must pass both the CCIE written and lab exams again."

HTH,
    Tim 

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• Hello,

Means i have time till June 2017 (while having my certification in suspended mode after june 2016) to pass theory exam to activate again. correct ?

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

Correct. I hope you're not working in a position where your CCIE matters, or you may want to change your plans so that you can pass soon.

Also, remember that you can pass the written once on date X to recertifiy your CCIE, then on date X+6months (as long as it's in the NEXT two-year-window of certification) you can take that "same" exam again, and tack on two more years of certification. Example: go pass the RS written on February 1. That makes you certified through July 7 2018. Then, on August 2, go pass the RS written again, and you're certified through July 7 2020. Now you don't have to worry about your CCIE status for nearly four years. (If you have any lower-level CCxA or CCxP certifications that you care about, you should plan to take/pass an A-level or P-level exam no later than August 2, 2019 in order to keep those alive, even though your CCIE is good until July 7, 2020.)

• tmanitotmanito ✭✭✭

That is good to know Peety, didn't know that. Thanks!

Hope this helps!

Timothy Q. Manito

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

if you do not pass the written exam every two years you will lose your ccie number. this means if you want afterwards to be again a CCIE you must go again though the written+lab.

No. This may be a common misconception, but you can easily go 3.5 years and could even go almost 60 months between taking the written if you don't mind being "suspended". The key is to know the date you passed your lab, as it defines your period of eligibility.

Example: for me, I passed the lab 2/7/12, which means I'm certified through 2/6/14, and we'll call that "period 1". Sometime during period 1, I need to pass a written (ANY CCxE written, does not have to be the same track) to earn period 2 (which for me would be 2/7/14 to 2/6/16). Sometime during period 2, I need to pass a CCxE written to earn period 3, and so on. The ONLY rule from Cisco is that you cannot take/pass the same exam number (e.g. 350-002) more than once within any six month period to use towards your certification. (You could choose to take it every month to stay aware of what's on the test, but it wouldn't be usable towards recertification, and I suppose Cisco could actually say you must "walk away from the exam" for six months, but I can't imagine anyone would take the written exam monthly for fun.) In my case, I got lazy two years ago and let mine go suspended. I ended up taking the v4 written about a week before it went away, missed by a few questions because I hadn't studied a thing and I don't work on diverse stuff these days, and took it on the final day that it was offered. Had I studied hard, I could have returned the VERY NEXT DAY and taken the v5 written (different exam number, so no six-month gap required). If I had passed it, I'd be certified through 2018.

Therefore, IMHO, the simplest/smartest thing for any CCIE to do would be to go take the written within a week of passing the lab, as they can then forget about their CCIE for 47 months. When the time comes, dust off the cobwebs, pass the written, wait six months, pass it again, and forget about the CCIE for another 41 months.

• Peety, no disrespect intended with this post, but this seems contrary to the normal Cisco rules for recertification.  When I have recertified my Associate and Professional level Certifications, the date I pass my exam (professional level) is the recertification date and then 3 years is added to those for the expiration date.  Granted these are new exams and not retaking the existing/current exam.  If what you are saying is true, then the CCIE recertification is totally different than all the other exam recertification rules and does not match what the website has on it.  Now I have not passed any of the CCIE level exams so, this could very well be true as this level of certifications are kept track of on a totally different system.  I am just trying to confirm what you are saying is true.  It sounds like one could then "game" the system and as you say get an extra 17 months of certification time by doing writtens back to back.  Also, does this hold true for any CCIE written exam?  For example:  Say I get certified in CCIE R&S on 2/1/16.  Then on 8/2/16 pass my CCIE SP written exam.  Using your logic, I would then not need to recertify until 1/31/20.  Would that be correct?

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

in short: after 2 years you get Warning - take Written

and after 3 years CCIE cert expires!  now u have to start all over again : Written and Lab

in short, you should rearranged that to be "two years after your anniversary date" and "three years after your anniversary date". The meaning is the same right after you pass your lab, but much different after the subsequent written.

• peetypeety ✭✭✭

Peety, no disrespect intended with this post, but this seems contrary to the normal Cisco rules for recertification.  When I have recertified my Associate and Professional level Certifications, the date I pass my exam (professional level) is the recertification date and then 3 years is added to those for the expiration date.  Granted these are new exams and not retaking the existing/current exam.  If what you are saying is true, then the CCIE recertification is totally different than all the other exam recertification rules and does not match what the website has on it.  Now I have not passed any of the CCIE level exams so, this could very well be true as this level of certifications are kept track of on a totally different system.  I am just trying to confirm what you are saying is true.  It sounds like one could then "game" the system and as you say get an extra 17 months of certification time by doing writtens back to back.  Also, does this hold true for any CCIE written exam?  For example:  Say I get certified in CCIE R&S on 2/1/16.  Then on 8/2/16 pass my CCIE SP written exam.  Using your logic, I would then not need to recertify until 1/31/20.  Would that be correct?

Expert is a whole different league. A and P-level use a concept that I call "reset". Whenever you pass a qualifying exam for A level or P level, your entire A level library (if you passed an A-level test) or A and P-level library (if you passed a P-level test) is good for three years from <date of test passing>. Phrased differently, passing an A or P level certification is good for up to 3 years, but as soon as you pass another, this one becomes meaningless from a recert perspective and the most recent one becomes the marker from which your "expiration date" is set.

As I said above, Expert is a whole different league. When you pass a lab, you have an anniversary date, and a certification period. Somewhere during that certification period, if you pass any CCxE written, you tack on an additional two years of certification onto the END of your current cert period. Phrased differently, your E-level certs will ONLY ever expire on the same day of the year that you passed your lab (suspension will only occur on pass date + 2N years, and full decertification will only occur on pass date + [2N+1] years). Disclaimer: I have no idea exactly how things work with multiple CCIEs.

And yes, I wouldn't call it gaming the system, but yes, it's absolutely true that you can step away from the CCIE process for 41 months at a time if you time it perfectly right. In your example, you are absolutely correct: lab R&S pass on 2/1/16 plus security written pass on 8/2/16 means your R&S is good to 1/31/20. There was a time (before I passed the lab) that the six month waiting period didn't exist. Back in those sorts of days, you could have passed the lab on 2/1/16, passed the written on 1/31/18, passed it again on 2/1/18, and ignored the CCIE until 1/31/22.

In my case, lab R&S pass on 2/7/12, suspended on 2/7/14, passed R&S v4 written on 6/4/14, reactivated until 2/7/16. Had I returned the next day and passed the v5 R&S written on 6/5/14 (different exam number means no six month waiting period), I would have been certified until 2/6/18. Phrased differently, over a 72-month period (admittedly with four months of suspension), I would have only touched CCIE at the very beginning and during one other month.

If nothing else, I can tell all of you quite definitively: 2/7 is "my date". I did not recertify until 6/4/14. I have an email in my inbox (keeping it there as a reminder) dated 1/8/16 from [email protected] with a subject line of "CCIE: You need to recertify in one month". That, to me, is proof positive that it's all based on anniversary date - in other words, I'm only getting 20 months of actual certification from my test pass on 6/4/14; it did not "Reset" like A and P level exams do.