Virtual Home Lab
Although a dedicated server/workstation hardware is suggested and preferred for ESXi/CSR setup over a desktop PC, I unfortantely don't have the means to procure such a resource. The only option I have is an i7 4770 PC with 16GB of RAM (plan to upgrade to 32GB later). I'm completely oblivious to ESXi environment. Kindly bear my lack of knowledge and help me fire up my first home lab by giving your feedback to the following queries. The ESXi/CSR installation related queries are here because I haven't been able to find the desired answers so far.
1. Will I be at a significant disadvantage if I put the ESXi on an old 7200 RPM SATA II WD 80GB HDD or a 16GB USB 2.0?
2. Other than wireshark PC/VM, which other VMs do I need to consider CPU/RAM resources for?
3. Is there a way to install vSphere Client on ESXi itself?
4. Do CSR versions above 3.13S require ESXi version 6 to work properly?
5. Is the "large page sharing" technique used on the SSD where my VMs are, or on the drive where ESXi is installed? And if it really reduces the RAM usage of 20 routers that much, is it possible to avoid upgrading the RAM to 32GB?
Any and all help will be much appreciated.