CEF Adjacency for DMVPN Tunnels Phase 3

Hi All,  for dmvpn tunnel interfaces on hub, I'm seeing punt adjacencies towards spokes.  Spokes, with their static nhrp mappings, don't have punt adjacencies.  Is this normal? 

show adjacency -- has "incomplete"

show ip cef adjacency punt -- showing tunnel interfaces

Why do the NHS's have punt adjacencies while the spokes don't?

It appears that "ip nhrp map 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.8" results in an "IP adjacency"; while dynamic nhrp mapping result in punt adjacencies.

Is this the cause and effect with regard to IOS commands?

Regards//RandB

Edit note:  using Version 15.3(1.3)T

Comments

• Hi Martinl and All,

Your results using iou 15.4.2T ?

With iol 15.3.(1.3)T, Phase 3 with ipsec, I'm seeing punt adjacencies on hub, but not on spokes. 

IOS                                  Spoke-to-Hub                             Hub-to-Spoke

iou 15.4.2.T                      punt                                           punt

iol 15.3(1.3)T                   attached                                     punt          <will recheck>

• Hi Martinl and All

I dont have a wide exporure to DMVPN with the different IOS.  Doing a sanity check on what the tables should look like when configured.  Guess it is normal that hub uses punt adjacencies.  //RandyB

• Hi,

The punt CEF adjacency and the %-next-hop-override are not related and irrelevant for this question. It's normal to have a punt adjacency over DMVPN for the DMVPN/tunnel subnet, as all traffic destined to those IP addresses should be process-switched (for example routing protocol traffic and NHRP traffic for that subnet).

Regards,

Cristian.

• Hi Martinl and All,

Using command:  show ip route -- do see %; easy for me to overlook

show ip route next-hop-override

D   %    10.1.1.23/32 [90/28288000] via 10.40.122.23, 00:27:25, Tunnel903

[NHO][90/1] via 10.40.122.23, 00:00:38, Tunnel903

• Hi Cristian and All,

Thank you all for your explanations on CEF.//RandyB

• I will be off until September 14th

Thanks,