Passed RS @ RTP - 2nd Attempt

HI guys, I've been busy these last month after I took the Lab Exam (Jul17.2015). 

Finally I got my number. #49413

What can I say ?  A BIG THANK YOU!!!!!   Thanks everybody here that helped me out, Thanks to the Forum and thanks INE.

My exam feedback would be that, It is doable if you practice daily a couple of hours.  It took me 1 whole year since my 1st attempt but I wanted to nail it this time, so I took the time to analyze what I did wrong on my self-study approach and I decided to start all over again.  I watched all the previous ADV_TECH and the newer ones.  Read The blog articles, did the workbooks (various times) I also did some of Narbik's and  360', I even ended up creating my own labs. It was crazy!!!  I thank to my wife who supported me in every manner and this was a huge plus.

--------------------------

My Gear: IOU, GNS3, CSR1000v, 4xCat3750+10x1841 (Lucky to still have my real gear).

The books I used mostly for reference were the ones recommended by INE @ http://www.ine.com/resources/cciebooks.htm . There are plenty of sites that recommend these books, just google for "CCIE Reading list"

I can also recommend these for starters: IOS Cookbook 2nd Ed, Anatomy of an Internet Protocol (OSPF), IP Routing on Cisco IOS, etc.
CCNP ROUTE (Diane Teare), for SWITCH I prefered the old CCNP track from David Hucaby (BCMSN). There are few others, but the information is mostly redundant.
----------------------------
And last but not least, do labs like crazy. Get your hands dirty, after a while you'll start to feel comfortable and it won't be as hard as everybody says.  The last 3 months I practiced daily, but didn't spent more than 3 hours a day with probably a few reading sessions.  Well, I guess working at an ISP helps a lot, specially for troubleshooting.  Anyways, no matter what, try to do a lab session per day, dont care the topic nor the time, just make sure you understand the technologies involved. At the exam I can assure you that even "muscle memory" will lead the way.

Oh, I almost forgot, and this is something very important that I missed on my first attempt. 

READ ALL THE REQUIREMENTS PRIOR STARTING THE CONFIG SESSION!!  Plan your approach. (Now I understand Brian's advice)

This will take you around 25mins or so, but it will save you lots of time later. You'll see that you can combine tasks, so you don't ended up going back and forward.

I finished almost 2 hours early, and this gave me enough time to review everything again.  This was KEY!!

I would like to give you more details, but we all know I can't. So this is IMO, the most important tip I can give you for the config Session.

*Forgive my english, still practicing my writing.  [:P]

Comments

• Congrats!  Thanks for the advice.

• Congratulations!

On Aug 10, 2015 7:46 PM, "c1sc0m" <[email protected]> wrote:

HI guys, I've been busy these last month after I took the Lab Exam (Jul17.2015). 

Finally I got my number. #49413

What can I say ?  A BIG THANK YOU!!!!!   Thanks everybody here that helped me out, Thanks to the Forum and thanks INE.

My exam feedback would be that, It is doable if you practice daily a couple of hours.  It took me 1 whole year since my 1st attempt but I wanted to nail it this time, so I took the time to analyze what I did wrong on my self-study approach and I decided to start all over again.  I watched all the previous ADV_TECH and the newer ones.  Read The blog articles, did the workbooks (various times) I also did some of Narbik's and  360', I even ended up creating my own labs. It was crazy!!!  I thank to my wife who supported me in every manner and this was a huge plus.

--------------------------

My Gear: IOU, GNS3, CSR1000v, 4xCat3750+10x1841 (Lucky to still have my real gear).

The books I used mostly for reference were the ones recommended by INE @ http://www.ine.com/resources/cciebooks.htm . There are plenty of sites that recommend these books, just google for "CCIE Reading list"

I can also recommend these for starters: IOS Cookbook 2nd Ed, Anatomy of an Internet Protocol (OSPF), IP Routing on Cisco IOS, etc.
    CCNP ROUTE (Diane Teare), for SWITCH I prefered the old CCNP track from David Hucaby (BCMSN). There are few others, but the information is mostly redundant.
    ----------------------------
    And last but not least, do labs like crazy. Get your hands dirty, after a while you'll start to feel comfortable and it won't be as hard as everybody says.  The last 3 months I practiced daily, but didn't spent more than 3 hours a day with probably a few reading sessions.  Well, I guess working at an ISP helps a lot, specially for troubleshooting.  Anyways, no matter what, try to do a lab session per day, dont care the topic nor the time, just make sure you understand the technologies involved. At the exam I can assure you that even "muscle memory" will lead the way.

Oh, I almost forgot, and this is something very important that I missed on my first attempt. 

READ ALL THE REQUIREMENTS PRIOR STARTING THE CONFIG SESSION!!  Plan your approach. (Now I understand Brian's advice)

This will take you around 25mins or so, but it will save you lots of time later. You'll see that you can combine tasks, so you don't ended up going back and forward.

I finished almost 2 hours early, and this gave me enough time to review everything again.  This was KEY!!

I would like to give you more details, but we all know I can't. So this is IMO, the most important tip I can give you for the config Session.

*Forgive my english, still practicing my writing.  Stick out tongue

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.ine.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • WOOT! Congrats dude that has to feel good. 

• It really does.  

My 1st attempt was not like this.  I didn't even finish.  Stress is a factor, but back then I just started to conifig without a plan, got very confused, more stress, and got stuck in a session because I misconfigured an IP address, when I finally noticed my error I lost a lot of time, when I got back in track it was too late for me.  

But this was a great thing I failed my first attempt it helped kept going.  Now I can seat back and relax, at least for a couple of months.  Im planning to tackle SP next.

• RTP:  Watch this link prior your visit:

• 1 Widescreen Monitor - Big enough. I think it was like 23"
    • KB and Mouse were comfortable to work with
    • It is a quiet environment but sometimes might get a little bit annoying when other candidates make unnecessary noises, like gasping and breathing loud.. a lot.  It was a little annoying and distracting at some point.  But they give you earplugs anyways. 
    • There are snacks  available at all times, as well as refreshments, water and coffee. 
    • You have only like 20mins for lunch.  The food was pretty good though, but for $1600 it better be right?
    • You'll get coloured pencils and paper for your notes as well.

Well, in my opinion it was ok. The only thing that will make you feel uncomfortable might be your nerves, other than that, it was a cool experience after all.

• On the config section how did tackle the test? I see that it looks like many people read the entire test then try to consolidate tasks? So do you read the test and take notes like "On R1 I need to conifgure BGP and EIGRP in AS X then i need to confgure multicast group y" I guess the question is how do you orginize what you are goinng to configure on each device when you are actually reading through the test the first time?

Hopefully this question is not stupid

Thanks

• Congratulations!

• Congrats! 

• What I meant, by read first, plan then tackle.

Don't focus on specific tasks, like AS numbers or specific Router Config. Try to look at it as a whole, one goal at the end.

Something like, How Many AS ? Are they going to interconnect ? if Yes, are they asking me for security ? IGPs inside the AS ? Redistribution ? Security ?

Try to get the whole picture first from a high level perspective, then mind the minor tasks.  Your main goal could be end-to-end reachability, and for that you'll need to connect AS x with AS y, etc.  See my point?  Once you get to know where the exam is going, you'll know what tasks you need to do in order to achieve the goal, obviously within the restrictions, and there's were your knowledge, experience and skills you have at that moment comes into play, those will lead you.  So be prepared, study and practice hard.

This is what worked for me this time. 

On my 1st attempt I just focused on tasks, I knew how to do things, but wasn't aware of the whole picture and I didn't took the time to read everything first and try to get the logic.

• Excellent point dude! [Y]   Many thanks.

What I meant, by read first, plan then tackle.

Don't focus on specific tasks, like AS numbers or specific Router Config. Try to look at it as a whole, one goal at the end.

Something like, How Many AS ? Are they going to interconnect ? if Yes, are they asking me for security ? IGPs inside the AS ? Redistribution ? Security ?

Try to get the whole picture first from a high level perspective, then mind the minor tasks.  Your main goal could be end-to-end reachability, and for that you'll need to connect AS x with AS y, etc.  See my point?  Once you get to know where the exam is going, you'll know what tasks you need to do in order to achieve the goal, obviously within the restrictions, and there's were your knowledge, experience and skills you have at that moment comes into play, those will lead you.  So be prepared, study and practice hard.

This is what worked for me this time. 

On my 1st attempt I just focused on tasks, I knew how to do things, but wasn't aware of the whole picture and I didn't took the time to read everything first and try to get the logic.

• Congratulations!

• Congrats. Good job!

• Congrats and thx for sharing!