Transitive Communities across MPLS network

Hello everyone.

Is it possible for a customer to advertise a community to a service provider's L3 MPLS VPN network and have the community received at the far end CE?

[COMMUNITY abc:def] [CE1] -- [PE1] -- [P] -- [PE2] -- [CE2] [COMMUNITY abc:def]

What would it take on the MPLS configuration to pass a customer's community string? I've tried configuring the CE, VPNv4, and VRF neighbors to send communites (standard, extended, or both), but the most I can receive at the CE routers is the MPLS provider's route-target.

Packet captures reveal that the CE routers properly advertise their community abc:def but it's stripped off on the updates between VPNv4 neighbors.

My service provider assures me this can be done but I cannot lab it up. Any thoughts?

Comments

• 1. Do you have end to end BGP routing working.

2. Do you have as-override command configured on the PE routers under VRF address-family

3. Which kind of transitive communities are you trying to send between CEs

4. Is your CE routers supporting most of the BGP attributes.

5. Plz publish your config and topology for more info

Together we can find the underlying problem.

Thanks

Hello everyone.

Is it possible for a customer to advertise a community to a service provider's L3 MPLS VPN network and have the community received at the far end CE?

[COMMUNITY abc:def] [CE1] -- [PE1] -- [P] -- [PE2] -- [CE2] [COMMUNITY abc:def]

What would it take on the MPLS configuration to pass a customer's community string? I've tried configuring the CE, VPNv4, and VRF neighbors to send communites (standard, extended, or both), but the most I can receive at the CE routers is the MPLS provider's route-target.

Packet captures reveal that the CE routers properly advertise their community abc:def but it's stripped off on the updates between VPNv4 neighbors.

My service provider assures me this can be done but I cannot lab it up. Any thoughts?