OSPF SPF and Flooding Timers

I've just hit the OSPF lab that goes on to talk about tuning the SPF calcuation and tuning or throttling the generation of LSAs. I'm looking at this thinking what a load of bollo%$. Is this realistic to expect to see any question in the CCIE lab exam or real life on this kind of topic. I'm all for configuring bespoke scenarios, but this particular lab, man if I get a question like this in the lab exam then I'm probably going to end up shooting the proctor and stealing my money back.

Comments

• It is not wasted effort , it is OSPF functionality, you could get one-two such questions in the lab; you think it's a waste of time as it is not that easily to learn it and understand it. Think again.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2015, at 22:48, sg4rb0 <[email protected]> wrote:

I've just hit the OSPF lab that goes on to talk about tuning the SPF calcuation and throttling the generation of LSAs. I'm looking at this thinking what a load of bollo%$. Is this realistic to expect to see any question in the CCIE lab exam or real life on this kind of topic. I'm all for configuring bespoke scenarios, but this lab just made me think "wasted effort".

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx
  • I think many of us that passed the lab have had experiences where we question the content and then end up configuring the very same scenario in real life. Not saying it's true for all scenarios but I have been working a lot with fast convergence the last year and understanding the timers is very important.

In IOS, by default you will have a 5 sec delay before calculating SPF so fast convergence is not possible without adjusting the timers. I don't expect people to memorize commands but I expect them to know SPF.

• Ok thanks for this. At least you CCIE guys are saying it's worth knowing. Now I feel a lot happier :)