INE v5 physical lab - breakout switch?

I am setting up a physical lab in lieu of a virtual setup, and am confused by the breakout switch.  I have read all the forums and can't find a straight answer on the configuration.  Some posts say just to set up trunks, and other say you need 802.1q tunnels.  The diagram seems to indicate the tunnel option.  Does anyone know what is needed for a physical lab, and the configuration, if possible?

Regards,

Jim

Comments

• You’d want every port in the same VLAN and a dot1q tunnel.  Something like:

SW1(config)#int range fa0/1 - 24

SW1(config-if-range)#switchport mode dot1q-tunnel

SW1(config-if-range)#switchport access vlan 1

SW1(config-if-range)#exit

SW1(config)#system mtu 1504

Changes to the system MTU will not take effect until the next reload is done

SW1(config)#

SW1(config)#end

%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console

SW1#wr

Building configuration...

SW1#reload

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

Brian McGahan, 4 x CCIE #8593 (R&S/SP/SC/DC), CCDE #2013::13
    [email protected]

Internetwork Expert, Inc.
    http://www.INE.com

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of jfw3
    Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 2:19 PM
    To: Brian McGahan
    Subject: [RSv5 WB] INE v5 physical lab - breakout switch?

I am setting up a physical lab in lieu of a virtual setup, and am confused by the breakout switch.  I have read all the forums and can't find a straight answer on the configuration.  Some posts say just to set up trunks, and other say you need 802.1q tunnels.  The diagram seems to indicate the tunnel option.  Does anyone know what is needed for a physical lab, and the configuration, if possible?

Regards,

Jim

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation
    http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:
    http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• I am building a physical lab using some ISR G1's but unfortunately I don't quite have 10 so I'm supplementing with 3 older 2610's.

Question on the breakout switch.  I configured the dot1q tunnels on the breakout and I'm assuming the routers just get encap dot1q x(vlan#) and I have connectivity with most routers on vlan 1.

However, on my 2610s I can configure the subinterfaces ok but the links don't go up up.   They work otherwise and the ports on the breakout are fine but all three of my 2610s have this issue.

So I'm looking at the feature  navigator to see what image is required but I don't know exactly what technology I am looking for.  The dot1q tunnel is on the breakout not the routers....so what is it called connecting router subints to a dot1q tunnel?  

Can anyone tell me what I might be missing on these older routers?  They are all running either 12.3 or 4 and again, the subinterfaces seem to be allowed just not when connected to the tunnel.

Also I have seen conflicting posts about the ports connected to the routers can be TRUNKS and only the 1 port connected from breakout to SW1 needs to be a dot1q tunnel.....although Brian posted all ports be dot1q tunnels in vlan 1 with 1504 MTU

Can anyone shed some light?

• Actually I figured it out....testing and testing....took days of free time.

Finally connected to another switch which required a longer cable...worked fine.   Then it hit me like a ton of bricks.  The 3 2600's which i put together were all using a bright shiny yellow cables....   I said oh no........OSI anyone?  Physical layer???

Took a look?  Sure enough they were crossovers....I nabbed them from work.

But your post brings to light a lot...

I don't get what the difference is between having the breakout and using subints and vlans to connect all routers to say port 1 of SW 1 OR having all 10 connect to say ports 1/1-10.

But if you have 5 sw and 10 routers....and wanted to use breakout what would you use to connect from R to Break and break to SW1-4?  If you just use tunnels....I assume you just connect R1-10 to Break 1-10 with regular tunnels, still use subints and vlans, as normal?  Say like R on stick?

Would one be easier than the other?

Ultimately, I had in mind to eventually build a 10-20 router GNS3 setup but my skills on GNS are week...functional but weak.  I've always loved the feel of real and no issues but my stuff is old but I have about 12 routers and 15 switches so......unfortunately only 1841s, 3825s, 3640s and 2600s....

I just got my CCNP in May and starting this long journey....little overwhelmed.   Not sure which vids to look at first or books or start hands on which I enjoy and can focus on the most.....whew.

• Can I use a virtual switch (IOL) as a breakout in conjunction with the CSR's?

• MartinLosikMartinLosik ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Yes, it's Possible ... But not sure how or why u want to . If u have iol use Eve ng