QOS Shapping

Can some one pls help me to understand what the exact difference between  " Shapping avarage and shaping peak"?

Comments

• Hi,

With shape average, you refill the Bc each Tc interval and Be is refilled only as overflow from Bc; with shape peak you refill both Bc and Be at each Tc interval; in latest codes, there is no more Tc value, and Bc/Be gets refilled almost instantly at ~ms level; the ms value may differ based on platform.

Regards,

Cristian.

• Thanks a lot for the reply..

Pls help me to understand below terms in out put of show policy-map interface fastEthernet 0/0

i am aware of CIR, Bc & Be, but not clear what is showing in below output

R1#show policy-map interface fastEthernet 0/0

Target/Average   Byte   Sustain   Excess    Interval  Increment
                 Rate           Limit  bits/int  bits/int  (ms)      (bytes)
               500000/500000    3000   12000     12000     24        1500

Adapt  Queue     Packets   Bytes     Packets   Bytes     Shaping
            Active Depth                         Delayed   Delayed   Active
            -      0         0         0         0         0         no

• Hi Cristain,

Can you please suggest us with which platform of router does not devide the one second in to 4 Tc? also can u suggest us with which latest platform of router that support howmany devisions  in one sec?

• Pls help me to understand below terms in out put of show policy-map interface fastEthernet 0/0

What version of code was the device running - this looks like early code 12.4T code?

• It is both code and platform dependent; on the regular ISR/ISR G2 and new 4K routers, starting with 15.x the Tc is no longer fixed, nor is it specified. In general this kind of information you find out from the Cisco Business Unit thorugh your local Cisco team; however you don't really care about the exact value of the Tc, you can still configure saping considering the old algorithm, where Tc was fixed, now is better as Tc is way smaller.

Hi Cristain,

Can you please suggest us with which platform of router does not devide the one second in to 4 Tc? also can u suggest us with which latest platform of router that support howmany devisions  in one sec?

• thanks for the reply