AAP - All Access Pass: videos slow to load

Hello,

I have purchased a 1-year AAP.  I am very happy with the current selection and with the ability to look at different courses and watch live bootcamps. 

This is great for me, since I need to decide the next training that I will be doing.

I can take a look at courses (or individual videos) on any given subject.  The only thing I need now, is a Safari account and more rack time.

Need feedback on Streaming Videos:

I have created a support ticket for this.  I would like to get feedback from other subscribers.   What has been your experience with the AAP streaming?

I have had some trouble with being able to quickly load, rewind a few seconds, and fast-forward to a different starting time.   The videos are initially loading very slowly.  And it is a real pain to be able to move back-and-forth in a video for review.

There is no problem with the home network. We have a 12 Mbit line. We are able to watch Netflix in HD and move back and forth. No problems with the local Internet connection.

This slowness happens with or without HD on each video. As a matter of fact, it seems to perform better with HD than without.  Very SLOW STREAMING startup.

Never had a problem with streaming INE videos before.   Is there a trick to doing this in AAP?  BTW, I am using IExplorer for INE videos.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi,

I have come across this issue as well. I have tried Chrome and other browsers but it appears to be just random video's that have the issue for me.

Would be happy to hear like yourself if anybody has a trick to getting rid of this

Regards

Chris

• Can you name some videos in specific that you have the slow load with? 

• Will get back to you with specifics later on that as I am still at work.

I know they will be in the CCNA wireless and CCDA streams though.

Cheers

Chris

• I had the same problem 2 weeks ago when I did a 7 day trial streaming. Helpdesk said some people have this problem and appending a spcific html5 tag made it better for those people, end of conversation.

The HTML5 didn't help but made it possible to rip the videos to watch offline, this resolved the delays for buffering BUT, certainly not a solution.

I think in AAP you can download videos and watch offline, might be the best way, then you don't have to contend with streamming issues.

• Hi,

Just checked a couple of random video's and they seem fine now.

I see the site has had a make over since I last viewed anything and that some content has been removed.

Regards

Chris

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

The one I was looking at last night was CCNA Data Center. It feels like the videos are gearing up or queuing.  Any attempt to rewind or move forward is like restarting the process agaion.    Maybe the evenings are the rush hour for downloading.  I finally just quit.  Seems okay this morning.

Today I will look at the other videos to see if there is a difference. 

• Hi-if only it was that easy

Fibre rollout to me is due sometime 2070!!! Not that flash in New Zealand

Not sure I will be interested then

I am on VDSL though

Love the AAP though

• Also experiencing similar symptoms trying to view the CCIEv5 videos, specifically from the MPLS section. Videos are slow to start playing (several minutes), if you try to skip around in the video, it seems like it starts the process all over again. In most instances where the video does start, the video ends up falling behind the audio about 10-15 seconds in and eventually stops playing altogether after about 60-90 seconds. I tried chrome and firefox but experienced the same symptoms. 

I didn't seem to have any trouble accessing content about 30 minutes prior to posting this while I was at work. Not positive what the cause of this might be but with a VPN connection into the office (full tunnel) the videos loaded, streamed, and tracked just fine. 

Happy to provide more details if it's helpful.

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Let's not distract and clutter the thread. This is not a conversation about people's download speeds.  2Mbit (or even less) should be more than sufficient. Most of these videos are just slides and talking. There is not a lot of animation or movement.

I have lots of experience working with other Video-on-demand services (subscription and otherweise) for other subjects like poker lessons, concerts, movies, etc etc.    There is a problem with the INE codec (or something).

For those giving solid feedback.  Thanks.  This is exactly what I was looking for.   If we want to help INE improve the service (perception), we need to give feedback.   For me, the issue is not a deal breaker -- but how will INE improve it, if no one says anything?

Videos are slow to start playing (several minutes), if you try to skip around in the video, it seems like it starts the process all over again. In most instances where the video does start, the video ends up falling behind the audio about 10-15 seconds in and eventually stops playing altogether after about 60-90 seconds.

@dyermitch  Thanks. This helps me clear up whether it is on my side. We are having the same exact experience.  

I normally use Firefox for everything, but I will switched iexplorer if I start seeing problems.  But the experience is the same for me in both browsers.

Helpdesk said some people have this
    problem and appending a spcific html5 tag made it better for those
    people, end of conversation.

I was given the same solution.   I tried it, but was not able to see a change in performance.  

The videos are fine, until we want to move around.  Then it is as if the videos are being REdownloaded and REqueued.

• There is still a notable delay (black screen) on video startup.
    • Videos mostly stream okay -- if they are not interrupted for rewind/move forward.
    • Going back/Moving forward a few seconds is asking for trouble.

I suppose expectations have changed a lot on the Internet.  Youtube and Netflix blast out HD quality, and it is easy to jump around (rewind/forward).   These sites are the most basic examples that streaming should be easy.

NOTE:  the quality of videos is not the question.  It is top-notch as always. It is the streaming part that needs to be adjusted.

My guess is that there is a problem with the VIDEO CODEC being used.  There is a problem with its use for streaming.

How do we test this further?  I am available if INE needs some QA guinea-pigs. Does anyone do QA on these services?

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

MY PREVIOUS POST IS BEING HELD-UP FOR MODERATION (5+ hours).  Is there a "moderator" in the house? Someone who is active on the forum. :-)

Take a look at the Redbull X-Alps videos.  These are high-definition videos with a lot of video movement -- versus an instructor doing a slide presentation.  Choose any of the X-Alps videos and try going back and forth in the video.  It is almost instant.  No delay.    I can show a lot of other sites that stream video in HD without delay in moving around in the videos.

Yes, I think there is a problem with the INE video delivery system (for streaming) and/or the VIDEO/AUDIO CODECs need to be tweaked.

Again, thanks for the user feedback.

• when I have issues with streaming video - (and I occasionally have way up here in Anchorage - 100mb down/ 5mb up) - booya

I sometimes find that switching to the Ipad app helps - sometimes I like that better anyways for it's ability to fast forward at slightly higher speeds when re-reviewing stuff I think I know.

all sites can have some issues with content streaming - it's the internet, after all - (or at least that's what I tell my customers when they ask me to "fix" the internet [:D])

• Sometimes when you post too quickly it'll auto-moderate you, it's not something we actively do.  I'll pass this information onto our video guys.  We don't host the videos directly, they are in a distributed CDN.  I'll have them open a ticket with the CDN and see what the results are.

Also you can run the CDN's speedtest test here:

http://bitgravity.com/netdebug/

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

As I said, this issue is not a deal breaker for me.  I am excited to finally have an AAP subscription.  I really enjoy being able to peruse the growing selection.  Big decisions for my next phase of training.

But I think there is an issue of complacency, which does no favors for the vendor.  

Who does the QA?   Who gives the user-end feedback? 

I am giving feedback, and looking for other end-user experiences.

This is not a bandwidth issue.

As far as switching to the ipadd app, my guess is that it is using a "mobile" version of the videos.

Sorry if I sound abrupt with my feedback, but when I see an issue, I do not accept that "well it is the internet".  

Maybe I should be working on a QA team. lol

Help your favorite vendor stay the best vendor.  Help INE be the best!

EDIT: late post. held up in moderation

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Sometimes when you post too quickly it'll auto-moderate you, it's not something we actively do.  I'll pass this information onto our video guys.  We don't host the videos directly, they are in a distributed CDN.  I'll have them open a ticket with the CDN and see what the results are.

Also you can run the CDN's speedtest test here:

http://bitgravity.com/netdebug/

Hi Brian, I will look at this test a little later this evening.  I am not sure, but it does seem to be a bigger issue in the evenings.

I do test other non-CCIE-sites with similar video services.  No issues.   I am fairly certain that is an AAP configuration issue -- maybe delivery OR maybe video codec.

=========================

In regards to IEOC moderation. My complaint is not about being moderated so frequently. It is not a time frequency issue (someone mentioned 5 min between posts.)  Just now, I posted another post to this thread (first post in hours) -- POST MODERATED.

The problem is more that the moderator(s) take a minimum of 5 hours to moderate anything.   I have already made a couple of tickets about this issue, but the response is that they try the best they can do (even if it takes all weekend).  5 hours is an I-don't-care-about-IEOC type moderation.

Recommendation:  

1. ease up the false-negative auto-moderation
    2. get some other moderators (who are active on the forum).

Five hours is not on-top-of-it.   2-3 day waits (weekends) is worse.

I have already created two separate tickets for the moderation issue in the past. The response is "we try our best."  5 hour waits?

EDIT:  This post was waiting 22 hours for moderation.

• I tried to stream one today and it locked up on the main website but worked on the Ipad - I did notice my worldIP app suggested they were being hosted at Amazon.com but I don't have the IP anymore

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

I tried to stream one today and it locked up on the main website but worked on the Ipad - I did notice my worldIP app suggested they were being hosted at Amazon.com but I don't have the IP anymore

Great feedback. Thanks.  

Until we get a QA feedback group going, I guess we need to do this on the IEOC forum. 

I just did a test with the online app Brian gave a link to.
    I was actually surprised. I think my bandwidth speed just got another boost from the ISP.    I will test it later this evening (and post the results).

TEST: Last three posts to this thread have sat in moderation today.    Let's see how this one does.  ;-)

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

UPDATE:    From my perspective, I believe that this has been resolved.

Tested in Fox and IExplorer using only the default Flash.

Excellent back-and-forth navigation now, with no hesitation.

THANKS!  

Two more feature requests:

1)  an AAP forum sub-folder for threads regarding the good,bad,and ugly of AAP.

2)  a "Go-Back-10-Seconds" button on the videos.  This is very important for BrianM videos. He packs a lot of information into his presentations.   Also, if I get distracted for whatever reason, and I only need to go back a few seconds (without guessing).

Thanks for fixing the video experience.  Love my AAP subscription.  Please keep the "networking"  videos coming.

Thanks!

• I'm having the same problem, so far I have tested with several browsers and over the 2 internet connections I have at home but the result is the same

But it seems to work if I access the video from a tablet, just not in a regular browser on my laptop

• Hi Brian

Did you had any luck with that ticket? 

Regards! 

Miguel V

• Nope, it's still slow on my side.

Thx,
    DSU

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 12:19 AM, JoeM <[email protected]> wrote:

UPDATE:    From my perspective, I believe that this has been resolved.

Tested in Fox and IExplorer using only the default Flash.

Excellent back-and-forth navigation now, with no hesitation.

THANKS!  

Two more feature requests:

1)  an AAP forum sub-folder for threads regarding the good,bad,and ugly of AAP.

2)  a "Go-Back-10-Seconds" button on the videos.  This is very important for BrianM videos. He packs a lot of information into his presentations.   Also, if I get distracted for whatever reason, and I only need to go back a few seconds (without guessing).

Thanks for fixing the video experience.  Love my AAP subscription.  Please keep the "networking"  videos coming.

Thanks!

INE - The Industry Leader in CCIE Preparation

http://www.INE.com

Subscription information may be found at:

http://www.ieoc.com/forums/ForumSubscriptions.aspx

• JoeMJoeM ✭✭✭

Nope, it's still slow on my side.

This is why I created the thread.  Thanks for your input.   Slow?  In what situation and browsers?

Please give more detail -- to help fix this for everyone.

• We're in the process of re-encoding all videos in the AAP library to multiple formats to resolve html 5 incompatibility issues with different platforms and browsers. In the meantime if you disable html 5 in the player (click the 5 icon in the bottom right of the player) it'll fallback to the flash player and fix most issues. 

Long term the html 5 player will be better for scrubbing back and forth as well as other features we're adding. I'll talk to my devs to see if they can add a rewind 10 seconds button or something similar. 

On Jul 3, 2015, at 2:59 PM, JoeM <[email protected]> wrote:

imageDavid Sudjiman:

This is why I created the thread.  Thanks for your input.   Slow?  In what situation and browsers?

• Thanks Brian.

Sent from my iPhone

On 5 Jul 2015, at 7:45 am, "Brian McGahan" <[email protected]> wrote:

We're in the process of re-encoding all videos in the AAP library to multiple formats to resolve html 5 incompatibility issues with different platforms and browsers. In the meantime if you disable html 5 in the player (click the 5 icon in the bottom right of the player) it'll fallback to the flash player and fix most issues. 

Long term the html 5 player will be better for scrubbing back and forth as well as other features we're adding. I'll talk to my devs to see if they can add a rewind 10 seconds button or something similar. 

On Jul 3, 2015, at 2:59 PM, JoeM <[email protected]> wrote:

David Sudjiman: